Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sixto Rodriguez

Options
  • 30-05-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

This guy.

He has quite the ridiculous life story. Recorded an album (Cold Fact) that was relatively unknown in the States, but became massive in south Africa. It was the soundtrack to a lot of the political unrest there back in the late 60's early 70's. A record that was in nearly everyone's record collection alongside Hendrix and Dylan. But he never knew about it. He recorded a second album which also flopped, and then disappeared into obscurity.

One of his songs, Sugarman, was used in the film Candy, and then added to a compilation by David Holmes early on in this decade and a bit of buzz happened. People generally assumed that he was long dead, presumably from drugs, as a lot of his songs were about them.

Anyway, his daughter came across a website dedicated to him, stating that he was dead, and she corrected the rumours by stating that he was indeed still alive and well and working on a building site in Detroit.

So when this news came to light, demand saw him return to touring, over 30 years after he had given up music altogether.

He's playing Whelan's tonight! I had been playing his album on repeat for ages in my car, and my manager heard it, loved it, and told Leagues, who books Whelan's, about it, and about the fact that he's touring.

Once again, the mighty Foggy Notions has gone and brought over an excellent and obscure act. Fair Dues.

His album Cold Fact has a definite place in my top ten albums evarrrr.

Sugarman:

Rich Folks Hoax:

Comments

Advertisement