Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deBurgos closed??

Options
  • 30-05-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

just heard that deburgos is now shut for good. apparently it's a fire hazard??? anyone got any info on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

That's a huge shame.Twas a lovely bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Yeah, I particularly liked that girl at the ticket desk as you arrive in :rolleyes: Always reading a book or a magazine and would hardly even look up to acknowledge you when you were paying the entry. No hello, no thank you, no manners in general as far as I could tell.

Great fun in there though. Had many a good night :) I liked the music they played and crowd was always fairly laid back and friendly. Shame to see it go if the rumour is true. It was a nice alternative to the more mainstream clubs in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

It's been rated as a fire hazard with 50 or more patrons. I'm pretty sure there's other politics at play though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

thats not good, deBurgos is a great spot, i love the way you can go there on a saturday night and get away from the usual hen partys etc, its a place that you kinda need to know galway well to know about it.
    The woman who is on the door is the dj's wife, he's sound but she always came across as snobby as f**k to me, but then again i dont know her too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

How is it good?

What a shame, they played decent music there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thats a pity, it was easily the most unique pub in Galway and seemed to be the only one that wasnt striving to be a massive student pub.

What are we left with, The Living Room, Bar 303, Roisin Dubh etc. The first two especially are utter pits and are just generic student pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That's a shame, I've been to some great gigs there. Dunno why it would be considered such a fire hazard, there are a few exits and the place doesn't get half as packed as most venues in galway.

Anima wrote: »
    How is it good?

What a shame, they played decent music there.

Well noplace plays the music I like but Im used to that but deburgos just got pretentious.My opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

from their official e-mail

Hi All

It is with great regret that we are writing this mail to confirm that
    GIGANTIC @ De Burgos has finished due to circumstances beyond our
    control involving a neighbour and the Fire Officer. The Management of
    De Burgos and the Gardai have told us that the capacity of the venue
    has been reduced by the Fire Officer to 50 people, and under no
    circumstances is that number to be ignored as the venue could be shut
    down by the Fire Chief. This number unfortunately is not enough to
    create that GIGANTIC atmosphere that has been keeping a lot of people
    dancing over the last 302 Saturday nights. This also means that our
    weekender with Stevie G, KC, the Commander and Norman Jay has been
    postponed until we find another venue. THIS IS BY NO MEANS THE END OF
    GIGANTIC....WE WILL BE BACK

We would like to thank the Gardai, the De Burgos committee and staff
    for facilitating all the great nights we’ve had over the years,
    from fancy dress nights, the love boat partys on the Corrib, guest
    djs, Christmas parties, birthday parties (100,300) and the many sing
    alongs we have had along the way (we hear there is video evidence of
    the Human League band members in the middle of the Gigantic dance
    floor singing Don’t you want me.... funny).
    We say a small thank you to all of ye that partied with us over the
    years.....because we're not done with you yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

They should send him to the GPO then, when the place get's packed you barely can move, its ridiculous, one night there was about 40 people on the small stairs alone pushing up and down.

Yeah I was just about to say, the crowds in the more popular pubs/clubs seem far worse.

So they're not actually closing De Burgos completely, just Gigantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We are in the process of looking for a new venue. We will be back!
    http://www.mygigantic.com/

De Burgo's myspace www.myspace.com/clubdeburgos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Theres no way I'm clicking on a link for mygigantic.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Theres no way I'm clicking on a link for mygigantic.com

me neither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

I'm surprised that they can only have 50 people in there. Any time I've been in there, I have never thought that it was too packed. Something is fishy about this, but I'm sure things will work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

crap! i havent been in de burgos in over a year. never had a bad night there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    crap! i havent been in de burgos in over a year. never had a bad night there

It was open last night i have the hang over to prove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

but was there 50 people or less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well annoyed with this, I do think there is something more than just the fire hazard thing, I know other clubnights have had to leave deburgos due to 'circumstances beyond our control' in the past year but I don't see what those could be. It's a nice little venue and has great music, a welcome change from many a place around town.

Come back soon gigantic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Thats an awful shame, hope they find an alternative suitable arrangement soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Suppose that's what happens when a cranky neighbour lives upstairs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Shes not cranky...shes entirely justified! Having lived there last year I can tell you that the floor fairly vibrates with the noise. But I didn't mind that so much, it was the bunch of tools smoking out the back that made things difficult. In a residential area it was a bit much to have to listen to idiots sqwalking all night. One night I had to listen to them singing "Doe a dear, a female dear" over and over and over again.

Tis a shame that theres no more Gigantic, but they should have controlled the drunkards better...

Anywho, rant over :)

WIll they still be holding other events there?It was a great spot.

WIll they still be holding other events there?It was a great spot.

Yeah I'd be curious to know this, I've been to great nights there with less than 50 people too.

Various NUIG societies used to hold events there,it was ideally suited to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

mashling wrote: »
    Shes not cranky...shes entirely justified! Having lived there last year I can tell you that the floor fairly vibrates with the noise. But I didn't mind that so much, it was the bunch of tools smoking out the back that made things difficult. In a residential area it was a bit much to have to listen to idiots sqwalking all night. One night I had to listen to them singing "Doe a dear, a female dear" over and over and over again.

Tis a shame that theres no more Gigantic, but they should have controlled the drunkards better...

Anywho, rant over :)

It's not a residential area, it's the city centre......you can't expect it to be the essence of tranquility at night!!!

Apparently the flat above the club is to go on the market soon and the property owner wanted the club gone so as to make more on the flat.

Ergo no more Gigantic:(......well, in De Burgos anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not a residential area, it's the city centre......you can't expect it to be the essence of tranquility at night!!

It's both. But those of us who choose to live in the city centre do so knowing that it will have some downsides.
    (Well they should do anyway: our new neighbour of a month or two ago has actually gone downstairs a few times to ask people in the street to be quieter, personally I think he's pushing his luck a bit).

I'm curious: people here have talked about "various nightclubs being forced to leave de Burgos" - huh? isn't de Burgos a club in itself? Or did they means various acts that had a residency there having to leave which is pretty typical for most venues, acts come and go all the time.

Also, is it still the (unofficial) garda social club?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

It's not a residential area, it's the city centre......you can't expect it to be the essence of tranquility at night!!!

Apparently the flat above the club is to go on the market soon and the property owner wanted the club gone so as to make more on the flat.

Ergo no more Gigantic:(......well, in De Burgos anyway....

Sorry, perhaps I should have defined that more specifically... By residential area I was referring to the enclosed space behind the building, used as a car park and surrounded by private apartments. DeBurgoes does not actually have permission to use that area as a smoking area...

I don't think anyone expects the city centre to be the "essence of tranquility" (how dramatic!).. don't know where you got that from...

• Advertisement

mashling wrote: »
    Sorry, perhaps I should have defined that more specifically... By residential area I was referring to the enclosed space behind the building, used as a car park and surrounded by private apartments. DeBurgoes does not actually have permission to use that area as a smoking area...

I don't think anyone expects the city centre to be the "essence of tranquility" (how dramatic!).. don't know where you got that from...

I d say deburgos got alot of complaints from the apartments opposite the upstairs smoking area.One night ,awhile ago mind,I was up there and a group of people were gleefully throwing stuff at those apartments.

Advertisement