Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

• 30-05-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Anyone else going to this? Great value, IMO. It's like a mini-festival with all the support bands. I'm really quite psyched.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yep - im going with the missus. Went last year and it rocked.. cant wait to go again..... as well as metallica, mastodon should be deadly!

\m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Yep, going to be my first time seeing 'em. Haven't gotten into Mastodon or Alice in chains, anyine recommend a good album to start off with? I know enough of Avenged Sevenfold from listening to them a few years ago, still should be alright live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

The new mastodon album would be a good place to start, It's ****in' epic.
    On another note, i'm hoping I get there early this year. Last year I missed the start of Tenacious D, it was ****in' packed! Later on in the day We met up with some fellas who missed the first few metallica songs (Nearly 3 hours after we got in!). It was absolute bedlam getting out of there aswell, must've been 5000 people in line for the bus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not goin this year. The fact that it was changed from Fairyhouse to f***in Marlay Park p****d me off!! Marlay is an absolutely HORRIBLE venue to get in and out of!!!!! Also, when I heard MCD had their mits on it again, that was another reason to give it a miss!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I thought to myself "Great! Since I'm not going to Wacken this year afterall, I might aswell catch this show." Slowly but surely I realized:

• Meh-tallica haven't released anything good in decades and I'm not too fond of their live performances nowadays.
    • Phil Lynott is dead.
    • Lane Staley is dead.
    • Lamb of God pulled out.
    • A7X are muck and I wade through enough swarms of emo rats in Temple Bar as it is on a saturday, nevermind Marlay Park.
    • Mastodon bore me.
    • I don't listen to The Sword.
    • Price is ridiculous, although if you were a fan of most of the lineup you'd probably tend to disagree. Still, €80 is a bit steep for one night, not even counting expenses to do with travel/food/drink/etc.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Is this thread not violating the rules ???

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Not any more, bro. 3 years later and the MCD prohibition is OVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

hacx wrote: »
    Not any more, bro. 3 years later and the MCD prohibition is OVER!

BEST NEWS EVER !!!

METALLICA ARE GOING TO ROCK AGAIN. IM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

THE CAPS LOCK IS ON PURPOSE !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Going for free so can't really complain. Here's hoping they play the full Kill 'Em All album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I would go to this if I was in the country. But I certainly wouldn't be going for Metallica. Mastodon and Alice in Chains are main bands that I'd wanna see, prob be halfly interested in Thin Lizzy(love them, but just not the same obviously). The only reason I'd hang around for Metallica would be to hear All Nightmare Long...everything else would be way too predictable with them live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Yep there's a gang of us heading. Going to make a weekend of it and hit Bruxelles on the spare night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Yeah I'm going. They were savage last year.
    I saw Avenged Sevenfold last year, they were supporting Iron Maiden in Twickenham, I wasn't impressed by them at all.
    It's a pity that Lamb of God pulled out, I would have liked to have seen them.
    Yep there's a gang of us heading. Going to make a weekend of it and hit Bruxelles on the spare night
    Good call. I love Bruxelles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

if avenged sevenfold are playing ill give this a miss.yuck.

How come the MCD thing was dropped? What happened?

if avenged sevenfold are playing ill give this a miss.yuck.

I'm giving it a miss cos they're coming over here too bloody often!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yep - im going with the missus. Went last year and it rocked.. cant wait to go again.....

Are you serious? I was at the gig, was fairly drunk, but could still tell they were shocking, and lars.......(if he was a racehorse hed be put down).

Definatley not going, waste of money IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Surprisingly i'll be there,metallica show number 5 for me this year. Decent line-up,looking forward to seeing AIC,still a great band despite staleys demise. No-one else on the bill that i'll be in a hurry to see but should be a good day out anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Mushy wrote: »
    everything else would be way too predictable with them live.

I agree, sure they've only played 68 different songs on their World Magnetic Tour so far:rolleyes:
    Are you serious? I was at the gig, was fairly drunk, but could still tell they were shocking, and lars.......(if he was a racehorse hed be put down).

You should know what you are getting with Lars before you go. Any Metallica fan will. No real point in complaining about it. Still a fantastic live band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Degag wrote: »
    You should know what you are getting with Lars before you go. Any Metallica fan will. No real point in complaining about it. Still a fantastic live band.

If Im paying e70 blips for a ticket I expect a show.

Metallica just do not put on a show, they had some ****ty pyro that made some people go wow....I can do the same with some petrol.

Another thing I dont get about metallicas elitist "fans" they slag off other bands and look down their noses at other genres, but yet they just accept that their band is **** live(and album wise if you consider post Black album).

How the **** metallica are still big or even respected as a big player in metal is beyond me.

A decent cover band would do a better job IMO.

Also 2007 we had Aerosmith (embarrasingly bad for a legendary band)
    2008 metallica( even worse than aerosmith)
    2009 metallica(????? odds on to be ****e)

for **** sake can we please get some bands that are on top of their game?

Pity they cant do a Download here again

Id go and see Crue , whitesnake, Def Leppard, steel panther, etc etc .....say what you like but Your guaranteed a decent show with these bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yawn ****ing yawn - another Metallica gig in Ireland. You guys who keep going back to see these miserly whingers are reloading their pension fund. Can we get some decent bands and yes Marlay park is a hole.
    Bring on Napalm Death in Waterford.
    Avenged Sevenfold? Lol what a bunch of pussies but there you go - that's what a Metallica show means now. Someone shoot these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

kona wrote: »
    If Im paying e70 blips for a ticket I expect a show.

Metallica just do not put on a show, they had some ****ty pyro that made some people go wow....I can do the same with some petrol.

Another thing I dont get about metallicas elitist "fans" they slag off other bands and look down their noses at other genres, but yet they just accept that their band is **** live(and album wise if you consider post Black album).

How the **** metallica are still big or even respected as a big player in metal is beyond me.

A decent cover band would do a better job IMO.

Also 2007 we had Aerosmith (embarrasingly bad for a legendary band)
    2008 metallica( even worse than aerosmith)
    2009 metallica(????? odds on to be ****e)

for **** sake can we please get some bands that are on top of their game?

Pity they cant do a Download here again

Id go and see Crue , whitesnake, Def Leppard, steel panther, etc etc .....say what you like but Your guaranteed a decent show with these bands.

I think that Metallica are considered to be a great live band by alot of people. Thet regularily make lists of the greatest live bands in the world.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yep - im going with the missus. Went last year and it rocked.. cant wait to go again..... as well as metallica, mastodon should be deadly!

\m/

Mastadon you say? im there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

kona wrote: »

What exactly was shocking about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It's sort of funny how many people get their knickers in a twist because people like Metallica.

I've always enjoyed them live, they put on a good show but I am primarily going for Alice in Chains this time around. Was really impressed the last time they played the RDS and I'm sort of holding out hope we might hear some of the new stuff... probably wont happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

robby^5 wrote: »
    It's sort of funny how many people get their knickers in a twist because people like Metallica.

Its ridiculous.**** sake like, they have good tunes and put on a good show. Im not getting into what is the most annoying internet debate of all time, about metallica pre/post black album.

But ffs, they are just a metal band,who gives a **** about how they "sold out"?! If any of the "real" metal bands, that so many people seem to champion had even a sliver of metallica's ability to craft a great song, they would be jumping on that juicy money train before you can say enter sandman.

now if you could just grab your knickers, aaaaannd...twist.

for me, Im not THAT excited about seeing Metallica, I love seeing them, but its the 4th time now. Im mostly buying my tickets for Mastodon and AIC. And A7X actually, having seen there live dvd.

Into the black hole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Searching for crystal...

making the veeeiiiiiiins bleeeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

I thought to myself "Great! Since I'm not going to Wacken this year afterall, I might aswell catch this show." Slowly but surely I realized:

• Meh-tallica haven't released anything good in decades and I'm not too fond of their live performances nowadays.
    • Phil Lynott is dead.
    • Lane Staley is dead.
    • Lamb of God pulled out.
    • A7X are muck and I wade through enough swarms of emo rats in Temple Bar as it is on a saturday, nevermind Marlay Park.
    • Mastodon bore me.
    • I don't listen to The Sword.
    • Price is ridiculous, although if you were a fan of most of the lineup you'd probably tend to disagree. Still, €80 is a bit steep for one night, not even counting expenses to do with travel/food/drink/etc.
    :pac:

Very negative vibe's, you need a hug!!! Firstly Death Magnetic is much better album than any of there nonsense in which they released since the black album even then i could say that was too commercial, but upteen million copies already sold and not even a year out its better than any heavey metal band of lately, as for A7X my lil brother is going so that finish's it right there, but to see guitar hero the likes of John Sykes and Jerry Cantrell perform on the one stage, fu@k me what a line up, Alice in Chains will be a major highlight to my day as i've heard the new singer and seen them back in 2006 and thought they were brilliant. See the rest of you's in the snake pit!! fu@k yeah!

Advertisement