Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

1st time going to see them got vip aswell woohoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ugggghhhh.

if this post could be green i would make it so.

How did you get VIP passes??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kona wrote: »
    If Im paying e70 blips for a ticket I expect a show.

Metallica just do not put on a show, they had some ****ty pyro that made some people go wow....I can do the same with some petrol.

Another thing I dont get about metallicas elitist "fans" they slag off other bands and look down their noses at other genres, but yet they just accept that their band is **** live(and album wise if you consider post Black album).

How the **** metallica are still big or even respected as a big player in metal is beyond me.

A decent cover band would do a better job IMO.

Also 2007 we had Aerosmith (embarrasingly bad for a legendary band)
    2008 metallica( even worse than aerosmith)
    2009 metallica(????? odds on to be ****e)

for **** sake can we please get some bands that are on top of their game?

Pity they cant do a Download here again

Id go and see Crue , whitesnake, Def Leppard, steel panther, etc etc .....say what you like but Your guaranteed a decent show with these bands.
    i don't know what to say!! you actually think those bands put on a better show than metallica?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I am in two minds whether to go to this or not. Metallica are ****e live and have been ****e for quite some time now, however I did like their last album. Thin Lizzy will never be the same without Philip Lynott. Alice in Chains will never be the same without Layne Staley and the only other band I want to go to see is Mastodon who will only be on stage for 45 minutes or so if they're lucky.

Could spend that €80 elsewhere.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

i don't know what to say!! you actually think those bands put on a better show than metallica?
    Absolutely! Pure cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Degag wrote: »
    I think that Metallica are considered to be a great live band by alot of people. Thet regularily make lists of the greatest live bands in the world.

They also make lists as the greatest metal band ever.....em not really, they are were good. The past 15 years has seen them IMO decline.

Ive seen metallica, they were **** live.

Id rather go out buy download:p kill em all, master of puppets, ride the lighteninhg, Justice and black album, have a house party. And voila a much better night for half the price.

Kevski wrote: »
    What exactly was shocking about them?

The fact I paid e80

The fact that they are widely believed to be the best band in the world....I strongly disagree

3. For e80 I expect a much better show, not just a bit of crap pyro.

Id have a different opinion if they wernt looked upon as gods, and maybe charged say e40 in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

hacx wrote: »
    Not any more, bro. 3 years later and the MCD prohibition is OVER!

What?
    What happened here?

Erm yes, leave your prejiduce at they door and perhaps actually view one of these bands live. Ive seen def leppard , whitesnake, tallica live. Def Leappard and whitesnake kick the **** out of metallica live. I have 3 or 4 bootleg DVDs of crue live in the 80s and 2 from the last 5 years. The crue are a different league to metallica live.

spinning drumkits,(lets see lars play upside down:rolleyes:) Heaps of pyro, fire breathing midgets, half naked women on stage , choppers on stage!

Compare this to the all musical "seriousness" of metallica show.

Lets rip people off and cram them into a field in the middle of nowhere,Ohh lets play whiskey in the jar and make a big bang at the end:rolleyes:
    Then we will have lars play drums like a kid on pots on pans, and james talk to the crowd.

Also at a Crue gig or and other band of that genre, you could wear a tallica T-shirt or a Katy Perry T-shirt and nobody will care.

Wear a crue T-shirt to A tallica show and , you will get abuse from all the elitist ***** who seem to be just metallica fans:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

spinning drumkits,(lets see lars play upside down:rolleyes:) Heaps of pyro, fire breathing midgets, half naked women on stage , choppers on stage!

Why not go to the circus so if you wana see that kinda show. Personally when i go see a band its about 1) what music the play 2) how well the play. A stage show doesnt come into the equation, stage shows are a gimmick IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Id like to see Metallica support by Beatallica. That would be cool!

I go see Metallica everytime they play, i always enjoy them and some shows are better than others.

WRT ticket prices, that a different story. Its not always the band's fault of the high prices. There are only so many promoters and ticket vendors that get used. :(

Incidentally yer man from Aiken Promotions was on Matt Cooper the other day and was challenged about some high priced concert which was cheaper in Northern Ireland. He went on to say that the insurance for the gig cost approx UK£200 for one night in NI and cost approx €12k in Ireland. The insurers charge €1 per person to the promotor for us in Ireland.

Anyway back on topic, Im going to Metallica with some friends and will make a great day of it. There are bands playing i dont like, but I wont bash them, i never see the point of band bashing (unless its U2), Im sure there will be a great atmosphere on the day.

gavredking wrote: »
    Why not go to the circus so if you wana see that kinda show. Personally when i go see a band its about 1) what music the play 2) how well the play. A stage show doesnt come into the equation, stage shows are a gimmick IMO.

Because I get to enjoy the music, and have the stage show, Im getting more for my money out of the other bands.

If you want to hear them play live then why not buy the live CD if you want to hear them live??

ANY decent covers band will do the same job live for 1/8th of the price!

faceman wrote: »
    Id like to see Metallica support by Beatallica. That would be cool!

I go see Metallica everytime they play, i always enjoy them and some shows are better than others.

WRT ticket prices, that a different story. Its not always the band's fault of the high prices. There are only so many promoters and ticket vendors that get used. :(

Incidentally yer man from Aiken Promotions was on Matt Cooper the other day and was challenged about some high priced concert which was cheaper in Northern Ireland. He went on to say that the insurance for the gig cost approx UK£200 for one night in NI and cost approx €12k in Ireland. The insurers charge €1 per person to the promotor for us in Ireland.

Anyway back on topic, Im going to Metallica with some friends and will make a great day of it. There are bands playing i dont like, but I wont bash them, i never see the point of band bashing (unless its U2), Im sure there will be a great atmosphere on the day.

Can we bash U2?:P

Nah dude its the bands that set the price, not the promoter. Sure youd have seen megadeth, priest in the 02 for e40......many consider megadeth better than metallica.

They should have gotten, paramore and MCR to support tallica.

Id definatley go, not for the tunes, but to view first hand what happend when you gather 12,000 emos and elitist metallica heads in the one place:D then subject them to crap tunes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Can we bash U2?:P

Nah dude its the bands that set the price, not the promoter. Sure youd have seen megadeth, priest in the 02 for e40......many consider megadeth better than metallica.

I paid €45 for my Judas preist ticket, got a 45 minute set of megadeth and was blown away! Left after went to the pub and relised how much i benefitted from a small set for so much and laughing in my head to those who actually stuck around for preist (not many i heard) hmm imagine if mustaine hadn't of left metallica, what would be the conversation be like then!! complaining about james getting his head kick in by dave!! deadly . . . . . . . . . . . celebrity deathmatch 2000

hyn-zie wrote: »
    I paid €45 for my Judas preist ticket, got a 45 minute set of megadeth and was blown away! Left after went to the pub and relised how much i benefitted from a small set for so much and laughing in my head to those who actually stuck around for preist (not many i heard) hmm imagine if mustaine hadn't of left metallica, what would be the conversation be like then!! complaining about james getting his head kick in by dave!! deadly . . . . . . . . . . . celebrity deathmatch 2000

IMO with hindsight, music would be worse off if dave stayed in metallica.
    Its great now that metallica are in decline, megedeth are gaining.

IMO e45 is enough for the metallica gig. especially considering its in a field and not the o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Going just cos I got a free ticket and my mates going and needs company :D 5th or 6th time seeing Metallica now. Was so pissed about LOG dropping off the bill! Hate all the other bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

They should have gotten, paramore and MCR to support tallica.

Id definatley go, not for the tunes, but to view first hand what happend when you gather 12,000 emos and elitist metallica heads in the one place:D then subject them to crap tunes:pac:

Clearly you're totally anti-metallica so why post on this thread? And branding Metallica fans as "elitist"? From reading some of your posts is the pot calling the kettle black??

Clearly you're totally anti-metallica so why post on this thread? And branding Metallica fans as "elitist"? From reading some of your posts is the pot calling the kettle black??

I have more metallica albums than you, or at least the same. You couldnt be more wrong.
    Clearly a metallica hater would go to a metallica gig:confused: Im saying that they are not good live, and they proved it last year.

well seen as im a metallica fan that would make me elitist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

They were indeed good last year, I was thoroughly entertained.

Out of iterest, what did everyone think of tenacious d last year?

• Advertisement

I have more metallica albums than you, or at least the same. You couldnt be more wrong.
    Clearly a metallica hater would go to a metallica gig:confused: Im saying that they are not good live, and they proved it last year.

well seen as im a metallica fan that would make me elitist:D

Judging a band on one performance is a bit small minded though dont ya think? Saw Metallica 9 times last year, did alot of touring in the states where I saw them indoors, and man they kick ass live, never seen any band put in such effort onstage. No band is decent outdoors when you think about it, especially in the kip that is Marlay Park.

Metallica have been ****e live since the 90s (and I have every album and countless bootlegs)

millington wrote: »
    Metallica have been ****e live since the 90s (and I have every album and countless bootlegs)

"Live Sh*t, Binge and Purge" not do it for ya???

And its not about how many albums and bootlegs you own, that counts for nothing, have you seen the band live before 1990? If you have and you reckon they're ****e now, thats cool, if not then how can you judge?

Judging a band on one performance is a bit small minded though dont ya think? Saw Metallica 9 times last year, did alot of touring in the states where I saw them indoors, and man they kick ass live, never seen any band put in such effort onstage. No band is decent outdoors when you think about it, especially in the kip that is Marlay Park.

That is a very good point, the sound in marley park sucks, and indeed it is harder to play out doors.

But for a band thats said to be good live that should not matter, especially with 20 odd years of playing massive festivals such as Monsters of Rock.

The only time ive been able to view live tallica indoors is unfortunatley on bootlegs or on DVD. Yes they look like they were good back in their day, but I dont think they cut it compared to other bands that charge less back then or today.

IMO when your set list isnt going to plan or the sound is **** or whatever, the stage show will take up the slack. IMO the stage show is a vital part of a Live show and its something that metallica just do not do. probably(with a nod to hetfield) "its for all the fake people":pac:

That is a very good point, the sound in marley park sucks, and indeed it is harder to play out doors.

But for a band thats said to be good live that should not matter, especially with 20 odd years of playing massive festivals such as Monsters of Rock.

The only time ive been able to view live tallica indoors is unfortunatley on bootlegs or on DVD. Yes they look like they were good back in their day, but I dont think they cut it compared to other bands that charge less back then or today.

IMO when your set list isnt going to plan or the sound is **** or whatever, the stage show will take up the slack. IMO the stage show is a vital part of a Live show and its something that metallica just do not do. probably(with a nod to hetfield) "its for all the fake people":pac:

All I will say is that you should definitely try to catch then indoors at some point, its an incredible experience. Agreed that a stage show is important, but Metallica have never been into the big theatrics really, apart from that collapsing stage on the cunning stunts era tour. I'd rather hear Whiplash or Dyers Eve live than watch pyro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aideen..

Yeah, can't wait to see them indoors, have seen them here and abroad before, but it was all outdoor and such.. Didn't get a chance to hop over to the UK or Europe for the indoor shows they were doing.. Gonna go to see them in MSG in November, and cannot wait!! :D:D:D

Aideen.. wrote: »
    Yeah, can't wait to see them indoors, have seen them here and abroad before, but it was all outdoor and such.. Didn't get a chance to hop over to the UK or Europe for the indoor shows they were doing.. Gonna go to see them in MSG in November, and cannot wait!! :D:D:D

Will (hopefully) be doing the Cali. leg of the tour in December!

All I will say is that you should definitely try to catch then indoors at some point, its an incredible experience. Agreed that a stage show is important, but Metallica have never been into the big theatrics really, apart from that collapsing stage on the cunning stunts era tour. I'd rather hear Whiplash or Dyers Eve live than watch pyro.

but wouldnt whiplash be better WITH pyro:pac:

but wouldnt whiplash be better WITH pyro:pac:

:D not really. Would be too busy doing damage to my neck to notice any explosions.

I am raging that the gig is in Marlay Park again..

To quote my mate dave upon seeing all the straw that was on the ground at last years gig:

"F***in hell, I'm half expecting to see the baby Jesus round here..."

• Advertisement

"Live Sh*t, Binge and Purge" not do it for ya???

And its not about how many albums and bootlegs you own, that counts for nothing, have you seen the band live before 1990? If you have and you reckon they're ****e now, thats cool, if not then how can you judge?
    I'm sorry, can you not read?

Since the 90s!

Advertisement