Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only got there to see Metallica and I thought they were fantastic. I havent seen them since 88 so dont know what they have been like on their last few visits here, but last night they really were the business.

James actually sang pretty well and looked really up for the gig and gave it socks. It was fantastic to hear Motorbreath and Fight Fire With Fire - dont know if they are usually on their set list.

As has been said by other posters the organization was fantastic. We parked in a pub about twenty minutes away, walked to the venue,strolled straight in, qued for about 2 minutes for beers - it was brilliant. After the utter chaos and dis-organisation of AC/DC, I was really prepared for a long slog, but it was a pleasure being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Glyder - 7/10 - Good Irish band to start but with the disappointment of The Sword, Lamb of God and Thin Lizzy all pulling out I'm afraid this couldn't have made up for it on its own. Didn't know any of their material but liked some of their stuff.

Mastodon - 5/10 - Massive disappointment. If I wanted a CD I'd go and buy it. I didn't want a live performance exactly like playing the CD, with no crowd interaction whatsoever, very arrogant performance from the band. I felt they could have at least spoken a few times and I didn't feel they were overly spectacular.

Alice In Chains - 8/10 - Despite the lack of some material I wanted to hear the band did perform 2 new tracks and did manage to have a lot more interaction then Mastodon. Their sound lacked at times during the first song but I won't hold that against them.

Avenged Sevenfold - 7/10 - Did a good job under difficult circumstances but that kid Russell who sang Pantera did a better job then they did the whole time and I think that was embarrassing for them.

Metallica - 10/10 - I've seen them twice before on this tour and 6 times in total since 2003. They played better then they have ever played last night and I cannot fault them. They seemed fluid, happy to be together, and compared to Sheffield for example (where it looked like James couldnt get off the stage fast enough) there was a great sense of fun and team spirit. And a fantastic set, with the possible exception of Killing Joke, which didn't get much of a response. Great to hear Turn the Page, Motorbreath and Fight Fire with Fire though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Got to have been the quietist pit I've been in, yeah there was like 6/7 circles every now and them but was unbelieveably tame.
    Alice in Chains were brilliant! First time to see them in concert biut always loved them, did a great job!
    Not sure of Mastodon, wasn't the best they've played.
    Avenged Sevenfold . . meh. The kid that got was pretty good, best part of their set.
    And Metallica . . Brilliant as ever! Great show, and was great seeing James get down to the crowd, so close. So good! :D
    You could really see Lars start to age though, didn't affect the sound, but he looked so weary on the big screens. Seemed to be finding it a bit hard to get through it all, even still great show!!
    Big problem with the technichal side, mikes not working or something.I didn't really notice that much in the pit, but my boyfriend didn't get a pit pass and said you could really notice a problem with sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

although i have turned to the dark side - electronica!!:D i usually take a tripc to watch metallica, got in just as that young lad sang walk, which i thought was quite good,i was surprised at the end when it emerged he was somebody from the crowd - good job mate,you sang better than the band - whoever they were!! Metallica- excellent as usual,their just like a finely tuned machine,one of the best live bands around,very few come near them and probably rightly so as they have been doing it long enough!good job boys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I got there for the first band, Glyder. They were decent.

Mastodon were a pile of sh1t, sound was awful and a truly truly arrogant performance with not one word to the crowd.

Alice In Chains livened the place up again and got rid of the bad smell that Mastodon left behind.

Avenge Sevenfold while not my cup of tea really entertained the crowd and sounded ok.

Metallica were, well Metallica :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Id obviously be up for doing the Frayed Ends chant :pac:
    Not that they could hear it with the constant Whiskey! ****

Best we could hope for is the ooooh eeeh ohhh part

I was pissing myself laughing when they done the ooooh eeeh ohhh part last night,i just thought of you strangely enough.:P

Metallica were as savage as ever,great show. The crowd were a bit meh tbh,a lot looked like they got freebies to go,only came alive during NEM and Sandman.

Whiskey in the #3 spot was a surprise,looks like they just wanna get the song out of the way as early as possible now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Fantastic night, was up at the barrier. Metallica were amazing and James never stopped smiling!! Hearing Motorbreath live finally was a highlight for me. Managed to get one of Kirks plecs too which was nice. :)

The young lad who was doing security up the front was very funny, not in the good way. Get off your ego perch dude.

Buses on the way out were so well organised, well done guys! Made getting home that much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I've seen Mastodon three times now and they rarely interact with the crowd it just seems to be their thing. *shrugs*
    Loved Alice In Chains they were awesome. Not an A7x fan but my brother loves them and they seemed to do their fans justice.
    And well Metallica were awesome of course :P

The crowd was a bit tame alright.

Metallica had just finished Blackened and the sack of sh1t behind me was screaming for whiskey. It's embarrassing really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did alice in chains play we die young or again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 randy lug

Did alice in chains play we die young or again?
    They played we die young but not again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

We Die Young, not Again.

Off the top of my head, and not in any particular order (though the first and last songs are in the right place :p ):
    Rain When I Die
    Dam That River
    Angry Chair
    Man in a Box
    Would
    We Die Young
    Them Bones
    2 new songs
    Rooster

AIC were the highlight for me. Disgraceful that shíte like A7X can be further up the bill than them.

Metallica put on the typical Metallica show, but having seen them 3 times in the last 4 years, I doubt I'll be bothered for another few years. (then again, I wasn't bothered this year, just got a cheap ticket)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    We Die Young, not Again.

Off the top of my head, and not in any particular order (though the first and last songs are in the right place :p ):
    Rain When I Die
    Dam That River
    Angry Chair
    Man in a Box
    Would
    We Die Young
    Them Bones
    2 new songs
    Rooster

)

Nice,I would have gone for them alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    We Die Young, not Again.

Rain When I Die
    Dam That River
    Angry Chair
    Man in a Box
    Would
    We Die Young
    Them Bones
    2 new songs
    Rooster

AIC were the highlight for me. Disgraceful that shíte like A7X can be further up the bill than them.

Metallica put on the typical Metallica show, but having seen them 3 times in the last 4 years, I doubt I'll be bothered for another few years. (then again, I wasn't bothered this year, just got a cheap ticket)

Bang on my sentiments! New AIC songs were A Looking In View and Scratch My Brain(think its Scratch, definitely word tehn My Brain). Thought the second new song was better of teh two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

am i the only one who thought the sound for a7x was shockingly bad? not that i mind, i really cant stand them, but some of my friends are fans. far too much bass, and far too much bass drum, and not nearly enough guitar. at least you could hear the vocals though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, the second was definitely better, but ultimately, both were a bit dull.

That said, I have a bit of a mental block towards new songs released by bands who reunite years after their heydey, unless it's something absolutely extraordinary.

Having not listened to too much rock/metal in the last 2 years (been into electronic stuff more), it was nice to realise how much I still enjoy bands like AIC and Metallica, even if I don't listen to that kinda stuff too often these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

robby^5 wrote: »

Although the day ended on a sour note for me, some prick was shining a green laser at myself and my two other mates and we shouted over nice laser or something to that effect (it actually was very cool, seemed high powered... they were probably using it to act like gob****es inside) and a gang of them took umbrage to this (looking for any reason I suppose) and we ended up on the receiving end of several punches before we eventually composed ourselves, fought back and the ****ers lost interest. Absolute scumbags ruined the day...

Was it some sort of scumbag convention? Somebody spilt their pint on me and never even apologised ant got arsey with me when I told them to fcuk off, and just general muppetry from other people. I s'pose at a gig that size the idiot quota goes up massively.

Anyhoo, AIC were amazing, Avenged Sevenfold are not my thing but they had a lot of energy, Metallica were deadly.:D Shame I didn't get into the pit, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

cullend2 wrote: »
    am i the only one who thought the sound for a7x was shockingly bad? not that i mind, i really cant stand them, but some of my friends are fans. far too much bass, and far too much bass drum, and not nearly enough guitar. at least you could hear the vocals though...

The sounds was terrible for most support bands in my opinion but it was the worst for A7X. Bass was way too loud, the kick drums just sounded like a rumble not independent kicks and no snare could be heard. The backing vocals couldnt be heard which was really bad for some songs cause the others sing choruses and the Guitars were far in the background.
    I really felt like finding the sound engineer and fookin slapping him.

AIC vocals needed to be turned up loads. Couldnt make out what they were singing most of the time.

I didnt watch mastadon but from where I was it sounded ok.

Glyder did themselves justice I thought. Am glad that they got a good reception and I hope that puts them out in Ireland for good now.
    The only problem I had with their sound is that when Bat solo'd you couldnt hear him.

Metallica were amazing. Wat an opener. Enjoyed all of their set pretty much but had to go early enough cause I was dying wit a cold ha.
    It was great to see them mess up one. :) makes ya realise it can happen ha.

Was totally Hammets fault. He forgot to play the solo and then tried to come in at the appropriate part but didnt and was ahead of the rest. It just sounded awful lol.

Also did ur man from sweet savage come out and say " Hello Belfast?" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

cullend2 wrote: »

yup. in the pit anyway. terrible mix. the bass overpowered everything.

i think there was something up with the drum mics, cos after a7x, the guys spent AGES fixing up the drums. even calling 4 other guys out to try sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

yup. in the pit anyway. terrible mix. the bass overpowered everything.

i think there was something up with the drum mics, cos after a7x, the guys spent AGES fixing up the drums. even calling 4 other guys out to try sort it.

No i think thats just because Metallica get ages to set up there gear and sound perfectly so they sound much better than the rest. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What's the jazz with parking around Marlay Park? I'm going to Fatboy Slim and have zero interest in paying festival prices for beer so thinking about driving...

Also, what state is the park in, wellies and waterproofs or normal gear?

A7X wrote: »

Also did ur man from sweet savage come out and say " Hello Belfast?" lol

I thought I was the only one who heard this, thought I was going mad. The fcukin' muppet. :pac:

Acacia wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one who heard this, thought I was going a mad. The fcukin' muppet. :pac:

He said Hello Dublin... Then he said Hello Belfast. He's from Belfast I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

One of the best gigs i've been to. Except the sound in the pit was absolutely awful, bass and bass drums overpowered everything. I was hoping they'd play Fade to Black but i would've just gotten pissed off at the double bass at the end of the song.

Glyder were great i thought, i'll have to look into them.

Mastodon were my favorite, great setlist, but the crowd weren't that energetic about them.

Alice in Chains were good but i didn't know many songs.

I hate A7X but i thought having that Russel guy sing walk was really cool.

I wasn't mad on alot of Metallica's songs, but the crowd was great for it.

Great gig! But because of the overall stress of it i might steer clear of large gigs for a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Acacia wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one who heard this, thought I was going mad. The fcukin' muppet. :pac:

He said "Hello Dublin" followed by "Hello Belfast" because a lot of people have travelled down from Belfast to see the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

A7X wrote: »
    No i think thats just because Metallica get ages to set up there gear and sound perfectly so they sound much better than the rest. ;)

no honestly, they were stumped. and they didnt fix it in the end, the low ends were still too high for their set.

Got there at about eight,at the wrong entrance, can anyone explain that walk!?

the wait wasnt the best, very hot and very squished. Got hit in the neck with an almost full can and one just narrowly missed my 12 yr old brothers head. I would have welcomed being hit with a sandwich or sausages, its all in the spirt of the day, but cans with beer in them? how is that a good idea?

i was in the first group of people let in, got the passes. Glyder were class i thought, good opener.

Mastodon were unbelievable, i was hoping for the czar. Il say again though, an acknowledgement of our presence from the band would be nice. still, cant fault them.

AIC started great, although the bass problem started to show itself by the end.

A7X had problems with the low ends all the way through their set. Everytime they hit the bass drum or floor tom, there was a horrible drone. a pity, cos they are generally great live. they still put on a great show. HUGE circle pit for unholy confessions.

Metallica were ****ing class. As always. thankfully whiskey was dealt with early. Ffwf was brilliant, same with turn the page. i thought the encore was a bit anti climatic until seek. I would have preferred them to continue with frayed ends.. but other than that, great stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mantom

Brilliant night. :D

I didn't have a clue who Glyder were. I didn't actually know who they were until the whole concert was over, when we asked someone. They were pretty good.

Mastodon were reeeeeallly boring. They were playing for ages, and it all sounded the same to me.

Alice in Chains, despite not being a fan myself, were excellent. The only song I knew was 'Them Bones', which I was singing along to.

Avenged Sevenfold were OK I suppose. That Russell kid had some bloody guts to get up there, and sing the song in front of thousands without breaking a sweat. Bet he didn't expect that when he bought his ticket. :)

Metallica were just amazing. There was a long wait between A7X and Metallica. But Metallica just delivered. Kirk ****ed up on 'One', but the lights were amazing. Before the concert, me and my brother were hoping they'd play 'Creeping Death', and when it came on....big smiles and sore throats. :D:D

The fire and fireworks were spectacular I have to say. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't get into the pit, but I was right behind it against the barrier, and we had a great view anyway. Stood on the same spot for 9 hours straight. I was holding onto the barrier for dear life, because everyone was pushing and squashing, and I didn't want to lose my place...teehee..

Loads of people were surfing the crowd and getting taken away by the Stewards. This same guy got caught 6 times! And there were loads who were getting sick and fainting and whatnot. Lucky the paramedics were there.

Did anyone Hetfield trip over when he went down to the front row during 'Seek and Destroy'? It was so funny...lol..

Overall, the night was 11/10. Even though MCD were all a shower of b******s.

Onkle wrote: »
    He said Hello Dublin... Then he said Hello Belfast. He's from Belfast I think
    He said "Hello Dublin" followed by "Hello Belfast" because a lot of people have travelled down from Belfast to see the show.

Fair enough, I just thought he made a faux-pas and didn't know where he was. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Queued from before 9am to get pit passes for this and it was worth it, i was between 1 and 3 rows back from the stage at all times.

Glyder - Ok set from a band i'd never heard of. not really my bag musically but did themselves proud.

Mastodon - Played the songs i wanted to hear. OK performance despite intermittent sound problems. No crowd interaction though, as others have stated.

AIC - A band i was into a few years ago, nice to hear them playing again. New songs didnt sound too bad either.

Avenged Sevenfold - Bathroom and beer break. HATE these guys. Why were they here?

Metallica - Well what can be said? Turn the Page was a surprise, never heard it live before and is one of my favourite 'tallica cover songs. Other than that and Frayed Ends of Sanity ;) , and the couple of DM songs it was the same setlist as last year. Even Cyanide was played last year. Same cover song with your man from sweet savage. No Outlaw Torn (which is what i was hoping for) and Nothing Else Matters, well i dont like that song really :rolleyes:.

Also, the clientele seemed like a scangerfest tbh. Must have been a lot of free tickets given out. One plus, I was waiting less than 10 minutes for the bus home, compared to hours last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

mantom how are mcd "all a shower of b******s." all they did was organise the gig and bring the band over and for that we should be pretty damn greatful! i know i am!

thaught it was a great gig, would have prefered some more old school stuff but getting to hear motorbreath and turn the page was awesome! couple of **** ups and the pit was ridiculous, no fcukin "moshing" is was just guys running and rubbing against each other!

and that fcuker who was in the pit for AIC, top off, beer gut hangin, basically body droppin everyone, if you post here, you are a cnut! its not a wrestling match its a mosh pit, you could seriously hurt someone so try cop teh fcuk on!

overall it was a brilliant gig i have to say! 'tallica still have it!

Advertisement