Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

How many were at it does anyone know? I heard that it was in a smaller area than last year....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

How many were at it does anyone know? I heard that it was in a smaller area than last year....?
    I dont know, but some act other than metallica mentioned a 45,000 crowd.

The area was smaller than last year for definite. The pillar facing the stage was much closer in this year than last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

The guy in Avenged Sevenfold said to the little guy it was something like 45,000, can't be right though. Was much smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

About the sound, well, I thought it was fine for the most part. Glyder was perfect, so was Mastodon(to me), Alice had one or two problems. the 2nd floor tom was the main bit wrong. If they played again, well that tom is the main drum hit in it, would have been hurting a lot. Then Jerrys mikes werent great. A7X....well, was way at back, so couldnt hear much thankfully. Ws beside some amps and PA for Metallica, so that was obviously gonna come through more than anything else. When BBS was being played, I went further back, head was pounding(had gone crazy for Alice and MAstodon), needed a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

and that fcuker who was in the pit for AIC, top off, beer gut hangin, basically body droppin everyone, if you post here, you are a cnut! its not a wrestling match its a mosh pit, you could seriously hurt someone so try cop teh fcuk on!
    anyone else see the bald tattooed guy in the leather waistcoat, body slamming people all over the place? didnt take long for people to realise they didnt want to mosh with someone who was gonna throw them on their heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

mantom how are mcd "all a shower of b******s." all they did was organise the gig and bring the band over and for that we should be pretty damn greatful! i know i am!

thaught it was a great gig, would have prefered some more old school stuff but getting to hear motorbreath and turn the page was awesome! couple of **** ups and the out was ridiculous, no fcukin "moshing" is was just guys running and rubbing against each other!

and that fcuker who was in the pit for AIC, top off, beer gut hangin, basically body droppin everyone, if you post here, you are a cnut! its not a wrestling match its a mosh pit, you could seriously hurt someone so try cop teh fcuk on!

overall it was a brilliant gig i have to say! 'tallica still have it!

the initial organisation was terrible. The wrong entrance having the sign saying "concert entrance" was the first problem.

secondly, that crush just before being let in for pit passes. it was disgraceful. the stewards were moving along the line, pushing people from the sides in to a space where there was too many people as it is. We could barely get space to stand on. luckily im tall enough so i could get frsh air onto me, but others around me couldnt, and people were just getting very annoyed.

in a situation like that, which realistically could have turned dangerous very quickly, they should be concentrating on relieving the pressure within a tight space instead of just standing there smiling like a bunch of cu.nts.

and your man, yeah i saw him alright. Gobshi.te. He was there for most of the bands, idiot. On that point, that was the first time iv seen mosh pits get really ugly. There was a huge guy with a red mohawk who got in a proper fight with someone, and then tried to fight the security.

where i was there was these two blonde small topless lads. beasts they were. good laugh though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mantom

mantom how are mcd "all a shower of b******s." all they did was organise the gig and bring the band over and for that we should be pretty damn greatful! i know i am!

Well the Stewards near us were all b******s anyway. They wouldn't even take pictures when people at the barrier asked them to with their camera. And they ere getting in the way of the stage too. That's what I meant.

Well, all I know was that MC Shadows said to that Russell kid, 'Are you ready to sing in front of 45,000 people?' I don' think he just plucked that number out of thin air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

cullend2 wrote: »
    anyone else see the bald tattooed guy in the leather waistcoat, body slamming people all over the place? didnt take long for people to realise they didnt want to mosh with someone who was gonna throw them on their heads

That the lad with tatts on his head? Saw him during Mastodon, got a bit too close alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm actually GLAD that I gave it a miss this year............Marlay Park is a terrible venue to hold a concert in.

I''m starting a petition here right now to bring em to the 02.

Who's with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Alright, which one of you started the ohh weee ohhhh chant in the line? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I was infront of the sound island/light pillar in the moshpit there. **** got a bit mental during A7X, but everyone lost the rag when 'tallica came on.

Before metallica, there were these two yanks, I think they were following the tour, and they were all like "remember guys, forward is the was to go" and "someone's gonna pay for this (motioning twoards a scar on his lip)". Anyone see anything of these two bros up near the barrier? Also, this one fella (late 20's) got in a fight with some teenager and he got his eyelid busted open. And there was this one little ginger kid holding on to his mother for dear life when the moshing started propper. Also, started a pyrmid with some Northereners, was very ****ing awesome.

Was hoping Mastodon would play Divinations, but that wasn't to be so. I lost the rag a bit during Blood And Thunder though. Enjoyed AIC thouroughly, was only framilliar with one of their songs. A7X, enjoyed them, very entertained. Metallica. Oh boy, cant put into words how awesome they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Avenged

Im a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan and went to this simpy to see them and of course Metallica. Alice in Chains were of course amazing and put on a brilliant show despite sound issues and interacted with the crowd. Metallica were obviously absolutly amazing and worked their asses off to give a good show which they did.

As for Avenged in my opinion they did an amazing job too despite the ignorance of certain crowd members. They got on stage and put on a good show for their fans and anyone else who wanted to listen. They interacted with the crowd and played an amazing set. In comparison I have to say, again in my opinion, that Mastodon did the complete oppistite. While I accept that again they suffered sound issues, never once did they say a word to the crowd. This is all simply my opinion but I honestly do think that Avenged put on a better show than the more popular (at that gig from the obvious crowd rection) Mastodon and are due this credit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

I wasn't mad on alot of Metallica's songs, but the crowd was great for it.

I thought it was one of their best sets in Ireland ever! Loads of old school!

delta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Also, fair play to the guy who TP'd avenged sevenfold at the start of their "show", and then kept pelting them with sweets covered in mud and grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

It's always difficult to get good sound outdoors, so considering that, I thought the sound was pretty ok. Though they could have brought the bass guitar back a little to make room for the kick drums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Some of my own handy cam work at the front....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

mantom wrote: »
    Well the Stewards near us were all b******s anyway. They wouldn't even take pictures when people at the barrier asked them to with their camera. And they ere getting in the way of the stage too. That's what I meant.

Well, all I know was that MC Shadows said to that Russell kid, 'Are you ready to sing in front of 45,000 people?' I don' think he just plucked that number out of thin air.

the stewards are NOT MCD, for concerts there are a number of different security crews, the main crew being sword event guard international who are actually one of the most trustworthy hard working crews going, then there are a few others to deal with the large crowd, so mcd cannot take flak for what the stewards did! talk like that got boards in trouble before!

it was no way NEAR 45,000, it was 15,000 max! half the size of last years gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I really enjoyed the gig. I thought Glyder did brilliantly. I was delighted that Mastodon played, "Blood and Thunder". I never really heard many AIC songs but I knew, "Them Bones". I thoughtthey did well. A7X were grand. M. Shadows certainly knows how to work his fans and that Russell guy did a good cover of wall I thought :p .

And Metallica were awesome. I wanted them to play, "All Nightmare Long" from DM and they did. It was great to hear Motorbreath too, I love that song.

Who started the Frayed Ends chant? :D I wish they played the full song.

Anyways 10/10 great day. Definately worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

I'm actually GLAD that I gave it a miss this year............Marlay Park is a terrible venue to hold a concert in.

I''m starting a petition here right now to bring em to the 02.

Who's with me?

Why, so less people will get to see them? If you really liked the band you'd go where ever regardless.

Marlay Park was alot better this year than last.

Go ahead and do your stupid petition but dude i just saw MetallicA last night and it damn well rocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What a great gig last night.
    First of all i gotta say Fair Fcuks to MCD, they've had a lot of slaggin off recently but yesterdays organisation was pretty good, from sign posts to the gig, car parking, the queues etc, Nice one.

We arrived just before AIC, who were pretty good, new singer is good and will def check out the new CD.

I'm not into Avenged but there set sorta won me over, i enjoyed it, especially that Russel kid on Walk

Last night was the 23rd time i've seen Metallica, over the past 3/4 years there live shows seem to have been a bit stale, definatley needed some new material injecting into them.

Surprised to see them open with Blackened, lately they have been opening with 'That wa sjust your life' in countries where they have yet to play on the Death Magnetic tour.
    Whiskey came 3rd after Creeping Death and sounded much better than last year.
    A few oldies (Harverster & Fight Fire) in the set which i haven't heard live in a long time, also Turn the Page was a nice addition.

The new stuff is fcukin awesome live, especially Nightmare which is just sick.

All in all much better than last years Marlay Gig, weather was great, after 2 weeks of rain i was expectin the worst

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

First I have to say im delighted i was wrong about the set list :D
    The minute the intro to blackend came on I went ****ing insane! :pac:
    Some guy beside me did however shout out "It's Battery!!" haha

Mental concert. Easily better then last year.

Glyder really impressed me. I knew nothing of them going into the show but i may need to check an album out

Mastodon were brilliant.The pit was ****ing massive :D. As people are saying it would have been nice if they said a word to us but sure the set they played was excellent so I wont look too badly upon it :pac:

EDIT: Just realised I left out AIC haha. I had no interest in them at all before hand and nothings changed. Just not for me. Spent my time getting drink for their set

Avenged Sevenfold I enjoyed. Shadows has a good oul voice on him haha. And fair play to them for playing Walk.The crowd just took it over

Now to Metallica properly and ****ing hell wow :D
    Fight Fire with Fire was definately the high light for me. Again I was going ****ing insane! :D . The set list for the most part I cant fault as I understand they basically have to play Whiskey.Delighted they got it done early.

Was hoping for Hit The Lights in the encore but we got Motorbreath so its all good :pac:

Turn the page was a great surprise as was harvester of sorrow :D
    All the Death Magnetic songs sound ****ing excellent live :D and speaking of DM songs All Nightmare long was as i hoped superb live. superb :D

Only down point for me was the double bass for one. what the hell happened there haha, Lars started off grand then it slowed down to just 2 kicks then started going fairly slow and spaced out. I honestly believe something went wrong as ive listened to an awful lot of live shows from 2009 and not once did anything close to this happen

The crowd around me seemed fairly clueless haha. getting loads of words wrong and at times to the point of not knowing songs being played. The most shocking for me was the fact me and my friend were the only people doing the OOOHH WEEE OOHH :eek: . Until more people started to pick it up around us and then people joined in. getting it close enough i suppose haha. It suddenly became clear why my attempts to get a Frayed Ends chant going earlier hadnt worked. I felt cheated when it seemed like lars was actually about to carry on for the song :D haha.

But the double bass in one is the only problem I found during the show. Everything else was top notch and it was much better then last year :D
    ****ing great to see Metallica again. Phenomenal show.

Can't wait until metontour upload the video and the show :D
    so thats 10 :D out of 10 haha

And from this day forward Diesel predicts all concert weather! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I have to say that I felt sorry, in a small way, that the band weren't able to utilize the show they put on earlier in the year in the UK....for an indoor audience...with the crowd in Dublin. I reckon that the support this year was weak and proves that they need to come back here, do an indoor gig, and allow their "real" fans the chance to experience some of the great benefits about seeing the band indoors. Their last indoor show here was 1999 wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

The crowd around me seemed fairly clueless haha. getting loads of words wrong and at times to the point of not knowing songs being played. The most shocking for me was the fact me and my friend were the only people doing the OOOHH WEEE OOHH :eek: . Until more people started to pick it up around us and then people joined in. getting it close enough i suppose haha. It suddenly became clear why my attempts to get a Frayed Ends chant going earlier hadnt worked. I felt cheated when it seemed like lars was actually about to carry on for the song :D haha.

lol when they were playing killing time most of the people around us in the pit looked really confused! and were looking at me wondering why i was singing along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Herd_ya

cullend2 wrote: »

Yeah, i seen that guy. He started to annoy me so i gave him a taste of his own medicine and dumped him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

great gig. first time to see metallica live. cant say that i am a huge metallica fan and was there more so to see AIC but Metallica rocked. Extremely tight band and are very appreciative of their audience unlike some other whiny mofo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Anyone else notice the chopper overhead during AIC? I say some people giving it the finger.

The crowd around me seemed fairly clueless haha. getting loads of words wrong and at times to the point of not knowing songs being played. The most shocking for me was the fact me and my friend were the only people doing the OOOHH WEEE OOHH :eek: . Until more people started to pick it up around us and then people joined in. getting it close enough i suppose haha.

Where were you standing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Jako8 wrote: »
    Where were you standing?

In the centre a bit back from the pit. I would guess it to be a 3/4 of the distance up from the tower and the railings to the pit. That should be near enough to my exact location. Any more information needed for you? haha

• Advertisement

In the centre a bit back from the pit. I would guess it to be a bit closer then half ways between the tower and the railings to the pit. That should be near enough to my exact location. Any more information needed for you? haha

Nope, It was just a guy behind me started doing the frayed ends chants so I was wondering if it was you but i dont think it was :P

Advertisement