Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 pranks7er

Stev_o wrote: »
    Can someone please explain this to me? Was it just a random kid or what was the story.

they asked some1 to sing walk, and he picked a girl first in pantera t shirt but she disappeared so he then picked the guy every one was chanting walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

pranks7er wrote: »
    they asked some1 to sing walk, and he picked a girl first in pantera t shirt but she disappeared so he then picked the guy every one was chanting walk
    The funniest thing is the guy looked about 12, but he sang better than the lead "singer" of avenged sevenfold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

twas a good aul day out all in all.
    was anyobdy on here moshing to mastodon to the right of the stage? i may be guily of circle pitting it up over there!
    at one stage i turned round and there was two fairly big lads gettiing ready to run into a wall of death, and i popped in between the two of em and as the 3 of us ran towards the opposing wall, i quickly realised ill never be a hooker for a rugby team!
    fookin great craic though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The funniest thing is the guy looked about 12, but he sang better than the lead "singer" of avenged sevenfold
    Ah now, to be fair, your man 'Shadows' (what is that all about?) is a good singer when he wants to be. I had never heard any original Avenged Sevenfold songs before yesterday, but I had heard their version of 'Walk'. He sings it very well - Phil Anselmo would be proud.

Was at the concert with my buddies yesterday. I liked Glyder, Mastodon aren't my cup of tea (their sound was poo too), Alice in Chains were good considering it was a 'comeback' of sorts, but their sound could have been better and I don't like Avenged Sevenfold, but I was happy to hear 'Walk' and fair play to your man Shadows for wearing the Ireland top - their sound was very bad as well.

Metallica however, were ridiculously good. I think that was one of the best sets I've heard. My friend was just talking about the possibility of them opening with Blackened and he went buck mad when it came on. Then when Creeping Death kicked in he took off his t-shirt and started moshing (I joined in accordingly!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

A very good day all round. I would most certainly consider it well spent. In fact, it was so good, it has taken me almost 24 hours to sufficiently recuperate to transcribe my thoughts !

Arrived at Marley Park at around 8.30am. The time was passed quite nicey, while I discussed GAA, Metallica, Politics with some other fans, before getting my make up done, and looking like a bona fide My Chemical Romance fan :D The usual shower of line cutters were there. However, it didnt matter one wit at 2pm when the young lady in the forest was bistowing me with that wonderful black wristband with the word "PIT" emblazoned across it ! Although I was there with two other mates, we met quite a few randomers, and this ensure greater comfort and entertainment prior to the gig.

I la out on the grass at the back of the arena for Glyder. Didnt know what they played, and I wouldnt recognise them today if you asked me to identify them in an ID parade. Subsequently I moved into the pit for Mastodon's storming set. I enjoyed their set particularly their wide deference to Crack the Skye, before playing Iron Tusk/March of the Fire Ants.

Alice in Chains were something else. They have really boned up since 2006, and I believe they developed quite a few fans yesterday. Full marks to Willy Duvall. He has replaced Staley ina very professional manner. Rooster and Angry Chair was what I was waiting for, and I got both. They were easily the support act of the day.

AX7 put on a decent enough show. Cudos to the Russell bloke, who appears to have gained quite a fan base after his performance of "Walk". Must have been the moment of his life. Most of the younger folk were anxious to see the band, and I took it easy during their set.

Metallica were superb. As a veteran Metallica gig attender, I am less and less likely to see new material (All Nightmare Long, Killing Time, and Motorbreath were the only songs I had never seen before), thus I am simply anxious to see as much variation as I can. They gave that in spades, and it was not a predicitible setlist, save for one or two of the songs after Broken Beat and Scarred. I went a little mad during the early portion of the Gig, and my neck was ****ed after Whiskey, so I had to take it easier. It still didnt stop me from waking up with a sore throat and neck.

Once leaving Marley Park, I got transportation with 30mins into city center, and after a nice Eddie Rockets, I was tucked up in bed by 2am !

Really enjoyed the gig, and I hope all you other Mettallers did too. The two shows I have seen on this tour (The Full DM Show in London's 02 and Dublin) were sheer epic. Hopefullly we wont have to wait too long before Metallica come back again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

As a matter of interest, how much was the bus back to town? i got a rather pricey taxi, might bus it next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

It was €4 for just the return ticket. think it was €6 if you got it to the gig and back. Got the bus back in to the city centre

how much was the taxi? I was contemplating getting one all day haha. To try get out there earlier. I knew I wouldnt get pit passes but after experiencing a 2-3 hour line last year I was doing anything I could to cut it down haha

It was €4 for just the return ticket. think it was €6 if you got it to the gig and back. Got the bus back in to the city centre

how much was the taxi? I was contemplating getting one all day haha. To try get out there earlier. I knew I wouldnt get pit passes but after experiencing a 2-3 hour line last year I was doing anything I could to cut it down haha

Thanks. :) It was 50 yoyos back to where I live ( 40 minute journey). 4 euro is brilliant, definetely getting the bus next time.

It took us ages to find a taxi as well. :(

Ok im glad i stuck with the bus :D haha
    I was expecting 30ish :pac:

I just did what was recomended to me.. Get on the number 16 outside burger king and follow the people in Metallica shirts :D. That wrong sign caused some confusion though :pac: how did they manage to have it pointing in the wrong direction il never know

Ok im glad i stuck with the bus :D haha
    I was expecting 30ish :pac:

I just did what was recomended to me.. Get on the number 16 outside burger king and follow the people in Metallica shirts :D. That wrong sign caused some confusion though :pac: how did they manage to have it pointing in the wrong direction il never know

Typically Irish. :P

Yeah, when I left the gig I just followed the Metallica shirts cuz I didn't know where I was. :pac: I had gotten a taxi to the gig as well so it was an expensive day over-all.

But worth it!:D

• Advertisement

yeah had to be. between my hotel, train and everything else I probably spent near enough to €200

yeah had to be. between my hotel, train and everything else I probably spent near enough to €200

Ouch. and the over-priced food and beer (well, heino) didn't help!

But as you said. Even at that price for me it was worth it :D

Dudes, you need to get in touch with the hostel community! I paid E40 for two nights in Jacob's Inn, which includes a breakfast. My friend and I spent ages looking for the shuttle buses (no one knew where they were!), so we just got the number 16 service bus to Ballinteer and walked the rest. After the gig, we were going to walk into the city centre, but met two lads from Rathfarnham and shared a taxi with them, which was handy enough. I got the shuttle bus last year, which was, admittedly much handier and I'd recommend getting them instead of getting taxis or service buses.

If i cant find some other sort of transport haha il probably look into the hostels next time as I would have prefered to have went up there on the friday, went out that night and gotten up early on the saturday for the hope of getting a pit pass

...I would have prefered to have went up there on the friday, went out that night and gotten up early on the saturday for the hope of getting a pit pass

That was our intention...

It didn't happen though. We were wrecked on Friday, so slept early, then we wasted too much time floating about looking for shuttle buses that we got to Marlay Park at 12. The queue didn't look that big at that stage and I thought I'd get a pass, but it wasn't to be. :(

Should have joined the many others in crowd surfing in there haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just after watching some clips of the mosh pit yesterday during mastodon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qH_IAlvNJA

the bald guy with the black sleeveless top on gets a pile up on him! and keep an eye out for the overweight boll0cks with no top on and a pair of black shades, he comes in evey now and then and mauls everyone and anyone with slaps.i hate that kind of a$$hole in a pit.

ha found a back way out off carpark we were on the main road in liek 2 minutes and no queing to get out!

if u parked away at back off carpark ie you arrived first and u along hedges there is an exit signposted saturday market, stick ur hazards on drive down that but beware of ppl walkin to bus as i think its that line

papagormo wrote: »
    just after watching some clips of the mosh pit yesterday during mastodon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qH_IAlvNJA

the bald guy with the black sleeveless top on gets a pile up on him! and keep an eye out for the overweight boll0cks with no top on and a pair of black shades, he comes in evey now and then and mauls everyone and anyone with slaps.i hate that kind of a$$hole in a pit.

pits always soo much better lookin outside the pit haha i was in the pit but wasnt in mood for moshing had a bit like but last metallica i wreaked my foot and couldnt drive home ahhaha

• Advertisement

If i cant find some other sort of transport haha il probably look into the hostels next time as I would have prefered to have went up there on the friday, went out that night and gotten up early on the saturday for the hope of getting a pit pass

who felt the que went v fast, i arrived at 7am and tried to park but was told come back at 7.30 the guy on gate then asked if i was staff i said no lol but he said sure drive down there and park, anyway was in que about 7:45 fewhundred in front me ahah was fun, food fight, banannas been thrown at emo girls in trees, bacon fights bbq, but wat knobs threw the full 2 litre coke and milk!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

did anyone find out their setlist last night at Sonisphere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

did anyone find out their setlist last night at Sonisphere?

Blackened
    Creeping Death
    Fuel
    Of Wolf & Man
    Fade to Black
    Broken, Beat & Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    One
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master of Puppets
    Dyers Eve
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Hit the Lights
    Seek & Destroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

adox wrote: »
    Blackened
    Of Wolf & Man
    Dyers Eve
    Hit the Lights

As much as I would have liked to see these 3 tracks it was a fair trade for Motorbreath, Whiskey and Turn the Page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

That sonisphere set is un ****ing real!

Nice one looking at that set list they fitted whiskey in perfectly. Fuel is a good enough song. Not mad about it. Still better then whiskey though but I dont mind so much :pac:

Of Wolf of Man is a great song but im delighted we got Harvester of Sorrow instead. ****ing love that song :D
    I heard Fade to Black last year and Turn the page is one of my favourite metallica covers so :D

Metallica sure know how to swap their sets around :pac: I cant see how anyone would come away from a metallica gig unhappy about a set :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

adox wrote: »
    Blackened
    Creeping Death
    Fuel
    Of Wolf & Man
    Fade to Black
    Broken, Beat & Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    One
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master of Puppets
    Dyers Eve
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Hit the Lights
    Seek & Destroy

Looking at this it's pretty similar to ours,they got dyers eve but we got fight fire (which is miles better IMO). I'm not mad on stone cold crazy either. Hit lights is the only one I would have liked to see but I think it was a fair trade.

Looking at this it's pretty similar to ours,they got dyers eve but we got fight fire (which is miles better IMO). I'm not mad on stone cold crazy either. Hit lights is the only one I would have liked to see but I think it was a fair trade.
    Yeah I agree with that. Fight Fire with Fire as ive said for me was easily the highlight of the night :D it was unbelievable. i was expecting Dyers Eve and wouldnt have minded it but Fight Fire with Fire is much better :D

Hit the lights is the only one I feel i would have wanted in our set.. unless I could have swapped of wolf of man or fade to black for Whiskey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone know how long they take to put the shows up for download?

I`m not usually one for buying stuff like that but for $10 it will be a great permanent memory to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Yeah I agree with that. Fight Fire with Fire as ive said for me was easily the highlight of the night :D it was unbelievable. i was expecting Dyers Eve and wouldnt have minded it but Fight Fire with Fire is much better :D

Yeah man after the first two songs I thought there would be no more surprises,then I heard the intro playing and I went :eek: The fire was amazing too! You could feel the heat from it even at the very back of the pit!

Advertisement