Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah I would love to have heard Hit The Lights but the fact that I got hear Fight Fire With Fire and Motorbreath makes me think I am just being greedy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

adox wrote: »
    Anyone know how long they take to put the shows up for download?

I`m not usually one for buying stuff like that but for $10 it will be a great permanent memory to have.

It usually takes a few days. within a week though, but now Metallica are on a break for a month until the start of the US leg. So I would guess it should come sooner then usual as the crew arnt busy

I went absolutely ****ing mental when the intro to Fight Fre With Fire started, I couldnt believe it. even though I know they have been playing it a lot in 2009 I just didnt expect it :D
    I really hope thats the Metontour video :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Metallica sure know how to swap their sets around :pac: I cant see how anyone would come away from a metallica gig unhappy about a set :D

No they dont. Yes this year was different, but 08 Pinkpop was so similar to 07 Werchter, which was still too similar to 06 Dublin for me. They still insist on playing the big hits(I'm looking at Ender Sandman), they could easily take it out without much bother. Structure stays the same. Least this year was a breath of fresh air.

Generally I think they do anyway. With a great mix between the big hits eg. Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters for the more mainstream and the ones for the hardcore fans such as Motorbreath Saturday night and Fight Fire with Fire :D
    They set up the sets to please everyone while giving a good variety of the older stuff and I think they easily do that.

If enter sandman was left out of the set for a few shows everyone would just be demanding it to be back in. Its excellent live and as much as I can get sick of it, Its easy to understand why its always played

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

They played Fight Fire with Fire, so I was happy. :D

The double bass seemed a bit off during a few songs though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

thats cause lars is a tired old man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Thoroughly enjoyable day. The day stayed nice and fine. No queues and left the venue quickly.

Got in for Mastodon who I found disappointing live, I think a more intimate venue would be better to hear the new album.

AIC band of the day for me DuVall sounded top notch, looking forward to new album plus solo gig.

AX7 - drank beer

Harvester of Sorrow made my evening. Motorbreath was class too.

The crowd of us that travelled all enjoyed the gig and it was nice to see such a difference in age groups that attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nea wrote: »
    The crowd of us that travelled all enjoyed the gig and it was nice to see such a difference in age groups that attended.

I was quite surprised at that to be honest. I know Metallica have been going for over a quarter of a century but I was expecting a youngish crowd and expected to be the oldest there. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a lot of people around my age group and some that were a lot older too!

Also saw a few Dads with young kids(7- 10) on their shoulders which was great too see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Got in just as AIC were starting, the sound was poor for their set though which was a pity.

I don't like A7X so went to the bar.

Metallica - maybe it's because I've seen them a lot or maybe it's because the sound was poor for much of the set but while it was a decent enough gig it just didn't have the same power or energy that they usually have (IMO). That said, the setlist was actually pretty good, FFWF, Motorbreath were excellent (and towards the end of the set the sound had improved a lot).

I really wish they'd play an indoor show here though. And maybe it's time to drop Sandman & NEM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Glad everyone enjoyed it.... Didn't go myself because i'd have been on my own and didn't fancy waiting for transport back to the city center... but it seems there wasn't much trouble? To the people who got taxi's, were they easy to get?

Also, did they actually play "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" or just the intro or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm not mad on stone cold crazy either.

I reckon that was played because Knebworth is sort of Queen's hometown, with that being the venue for their last ever gig and the band being from London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Degag wrote: »

Also, did they actually play "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity" or just the intro or what?

No, when they went offstage before the encore Lars came out and started hitting the floor tom and the other members came out as we did the ohh wee ohh chant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

great gig. apart from avenged sevenfold that was. why oh why were they there! did they get booed at all?! seemed like nothing but youg feckin emo kids up the front!that young lad was a better singer! alice in chains were excellent.
    great to hear metallica playin harvester of sorrow and fight fire with fire.
    double bass was **** tho.
    also no problem gettin in and out! what was that about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Vanhalla wrote: »
    great gig. apart from avenged sevenfold that was. why oh why were they there! did they get booed at all?! seemed like nothing but youg feckin emo kids up the front!that young lad was a better singer! alice in chains were excellent.
    great to hear metallica playin harvester of sorrow and fight fire with fire.
    double bass was **** tho.
    also no problem gettin in and out! what was that about.

Well i was at the front of teh pit, surrounded by said emo fuckwits, and i booed, shouted abuse , and also congratulated a fellow metal head who though TP and coins and sweets at them!

I dont mind Avenged Sevenfold. Didnt quite understand the hatred for them till saturday. Never been surrounded by so many guys in ****ing makeup haha. Lining up to go in was talking to someone from limerick. He was off his face haha and just started slagging a load of em with eyeliner on. was a good laugh :pac:

I dont mind Avenged Sevenfold. Didnt quite understand the hatred for them till saturday. Never been surrounded by so many guys in ****ing makeup haha. Lining up to go in was talking to someone from limerick. He was off his face haha and just started slagging a load of em with eyeliner on. was a good laugh :pac:
    Well they are probably the best definition of poser rock ever. the lead singers name is mc shadows ffs!! Each guitar solo is the same format and the songs are terrible. Possibly the worst band i have ever seen perform. And i've played in school battle of the bands! ;)

:pac:

Well yes I agree. The bands look is a ****ing joke as are the retarded names they have.

I also ****ing hate the drummer with his constant spinning of the stick. He needs to **** off

:D

Still apart from that...
    Some songs they have are alright. I liked the recent album

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Not everyones cup of tea but it seems there were alot of people there to see them.

And it seems all the band were interested in doing was, playing for their fans.

Bugs the **** out of me when people behave like this at a gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Was anyone within earshot to hear a dude 'pwn' an Avenged Sevenfold fan in the queue?

It went something like this...

Cool Dude:Who's all here to see Avenged Sevenfold?!
    Not-so-cool Dude: ME!!! :D
    Cool Dude: You wänker!

Everyone in the queue where me and my buddy were started to laugh and the AX7 fan was a bit flustered. It was just a bit of fun though. My buddy and I were near the front (not in the pit, but with the rest of the plebs) and we were near some AX7 fans. My buddy turned to me and said, "Jesus, I really think these boys are going to cream over this band, the fücking gays!". They were almost crying. It was strange, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Not everyones cup of tea but it seems there were alot of people there to see them.

And it seems all the band were interested in doing was, playing for their fans.

Bugs the **** out of me when people behave like this at a gig.

Yeah i don't like the band and I thought some of the fans making fools of themselves were hilarious but I wouldn't go as far as to throw coins and stuff at the band while they were playing. (The toilet roll was quite funny though, it hit the guy standing right next to me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well they are probably the best definition of poser rock ever. the lead singers name is mc shadows ffs!! Each guitar solo is the same format and the songs are terrible. Possibly the worst band i have ever seen perform. And i've played in school battle of the bands! ;)

Tbf u obviously just hate them and I bet never gave them a chance. I hate the all the eye liner and that ****e aswell but I like the music, and to say they are the worst band you've ever seen perform is just laughable.

And no, each guitar solo is not the same format at all. I'll agree that some runs may re-occur within them or whatever but they are diverse. Also, I really can't believe you say that whilst obviously a huge fan of Metallica when Hammet is known to practically rape the the pentatonic scales over and over again, although I'm a huge fan of Hammet he is probably the worst for reusing old bits from his solo's.

Also before I get generalised as what you consider an A7X fan, I'm not at all. I just have the username cause it was all I could think of.

I don't like some bands either but I would never boo them or throw stuff at them. That's just stupid. Ur ruining it for the ppl who are fans and anyone that does it is simply a príck tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

:D absolutely brilliant
    was dissapointed they didnt play for whom the bell tolls or wherever i roam an no dont remember any1 booing avenged sevenfold was great to see lenny kravitz wasnt expecting that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

DoireNod wrote: »
    Was anyone within earshot to hear a dude 'pwn' an Avenged Sevenfold fan in the queue?

It went something like this...

Cool Dude:Who's all here to see Avenged Sevenfold?!
    Not-so-cool Dude: ME!!! :D
    Cool Dude: You wänker!

The guy who said that was on my bus on the way up. He certainly isnt shy.

A7X wrote: »
    Tbf u obviously just hate them and I bet never gave them a chance. I hate the all the eye liner and that ****e aswell but I like the music, and to say they are the worst band you've ever seen perform is just laughable.

And no, each guitar solo is not the same format at all. I'll agree that some runs may re-occur within them or whatever but they are diverse. Also, I really can't believe you say that whilst obviously a huge fan of Metallica when Hammet is known to practically rape the the pentatonic scales over and over again, although I'm a huge fan of Hammet he is probably the worst for reusing old bits from his solo's.

Also before I get generalised as what you consider an A7X fan, I'm not at all. I just have the username cause it was all I could think of.

I don't like some bands either but I would never boo them or throw stuff at them. That's just stupid. Ur ruining it for the ppl who are fans and anyone that does it is simply a príck tbh.
    First off Kirk is one of the most over rated guitarists in metal. If you see some of my other posts in here you will know Im a major Dave Mustaine fanboy, so i'm bound to hate Kirk :rolleyes:

Before seeing them live, i liked the songs "beast and the harlot", and also " seize the day" (think thats them). They are the worst band i have ever seen perform. They epitomise everything I hate about rock music- fake, lame-ass poser bands. MC Shadows and Synyster gates - real cool dudes there :P

And also i booed them because they shouldnt be supporting metallica. Look at the bill - Mastodon, AIC, Avenged Sevnfold, Metallica. ?? WTF!!. I paid to see metallica, not some emo teenagers who found their mommys makeup and found the book guitar solo 101 and re-use it OVER and OVER again.

Why did the people who watch the gigs through their cameras not record fight fire with fire but they did so for every other song :mad:

This is the best i can find

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Really enjoyed Metallica's gig. Far better than last year. The only downside to me was that when they played "Turn the Page" it was a big of a mood killer. Was delighted they got Whiskey over earlier rather than have people shout for it all night.

I had never heard of Avenged Sevenfold until the concert. Didnt like them. He seemed too female orientated - i.e. doing it for the nookie! Although I nearly gave them credit when he asked if anyone liked Pantera's "Walk". (altho was it just me or did he actually say it was a Slayer song first??) That kid "Russell" was a poor plant. Pulling pretend randomers from the audience died when Bruce Springsteen gave it up decades ago!

The crowd was more rowdy this year i felt than previous years. The venue was better organised tho and liked the picnic benches.

First off Kirk is one of the most over rated guitarists in metal. If you see some of my other posts in here you will know Im a major Dave Mustaine fanboy, so i'm bound to hate Kirk :rolleyes:

Before seeing them live, i liked the songs "beast and the harlot", and also " seize the day" (think thats them). They are the worst band i have ever seen perform. They epitomise everything I hate about rock music- fake, lame-ass poser bands. MC Shadows and Synyster gates - real cool dudes there :P

I don't know how they can be called fake tbh. If you knew the scene they grew up in and the kind of ppl they hung around thats how they always dressed and where. They didn't change anything for the band, except obviously the names ( btw its M shadows not mc but I doubt u'll care ha) I think the names are interesting and adds to them. It's not like they're like Lordi or Kiss or sumtin.

I wouldnt even think of dressing like them or anything like that, but I wouldn't hold it against them at all. I like their music and I like Gates as a guitarist, big influence on me.

Also that's the first time I've seen them live and i was really dissapointed. It was because of the sound though. You just can't enjoy a band when the sound is terrible. The only way I knew what they were playing was because he said the name before hand and when Shadows sang.

Also, after what I said about Hammet I would still much prefer him to Mustaine. Mustaine is better technically than Hammet but I much prefer Hammets type of play. Especially in the early days. Only problem is, in DM you can pick out bits in nearly all of his solo's that sound like or are runs taken from old songs.

A7X wrote: »

Also that's the first time I've seen them live and i was really dissapointed. It was because of the sound though. You just can't enjoy a band when the sound band is terrible. The only way I knew what they were playing was because he said the name before hand and when Shadows sang.

FYP

lol, theres no debating avenged sevenfold with a guy that has them as their username. How anyone can actually like this band is beyond me. They remind me of good charlotte but they added guitar solos to the music.
    Ill finish with this

• Advertisement

FYP

lol, theres no debating avenged sevenfold with a guy that has them as their username. How anyone can actually like this band is beyond me. They remind me of good charlotte but they added guitar solos to the music.
    Ill finish with this

lol I though you might be able to debate your point a bit better than you have to be honest. Rather than leaving it down to a video.

I'm just sick of this stupidity of disrespecting bands by throwing stuff at them and booing them. Really shows what kind of person you are tbh. If you don't like them just go have a beer and let the other ppl enjoy themselves.

Also, I'd like to point out that you did like 2 of their songs so you obviously know how someone can like them.

You should know that the sound for their set was terrible, any band would be awful under those conditions.

Anyway, It's fine if ya don't like them I couldn't care less, it's just the whole throwing things at bands and booing that annoys me.

Advertisement