Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

A7X wrote: »
    lol I though you might be able to debate your point a bit better than you have to be honest. Rather than leaving it down to a video.

I'm just sick of this stupidity of disrespecting bands by throwing stuff at them and booing them. Really shows what kind of person you are tbh. If you don't like them just go have a beer and let the other ppl enjoy themselves.

Also, I'd like to point out that you did like 2 of their songs so you obviously know how someone can like them.

You should know that the sound for their set was terrible, any band would be awful under those conditions.

Anyway, It's fine if ya don't like them I couldn't care less, it's just the whole throwing things at bands and booing that annoys me.

About the sound, AIC and Mastodon had worse sound problems but managed to put on a great set.

And yes I did like two of their songs but after seeing them live, and seeing both how much of a ponce the singer is, and also how different they sound on stage to on cd, I will rescind that opinion.

But the fact remains that they shouldnt be supporting metallica. Theyre a completely different genre. They will have their emo fans and thats fine, but they should be nowhere near a 'tallica gig. And there will always be fans of real music that will boo and throw things at poser bands like avenged sevenfold, limp bizkit, MCR and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Max Power1 wrote: »
    About the sound, AIC and Mastodon had worse sound problems but managed to put on a great set.

And yes I did like two of their songs but after seeing them live, and seeing both how much of a ponce the singer is, and also how different they sound on stage to on cd, I will rescind that opinion.

But the fact remains that they shouldnt be supporting metallica. Theyre a completely different genre. They will have their emo fans and thats fine, but they should be nowhere near a 'tallica gig. And there will always be fans of real music that will boo and throw things at poser bands like avenged sevenfold, limp bizkit, MCR and the like

Have to disagree with the sound there. The only things wrong with AIC was the vocals being too low and the bass being too loud. I didnt see Mastadon so I don't know. With A7X the bass drums where too loud and sounded like a rumble with the double kick, you couldn't hear the snare either. The backing vocals couldn't be heard and the guitars where way too low. Both rythm and when he solo'd.

When was the last time you saw them live? I wont have a good opinion of them live until I see them again under good sound conditions tbh.

Of real music? Are you serious? Music is subjective. For you to say what's real music is really arrogant of you. And too use that as an excuse to throw things and hurl abuse at people is really awful.

Also, Im no where near an emo and I like them. But I also like music you like aswell, so am I not a fan of "real music"?

Have to disagree with the sound there. The only things wrong with AIC was the vocals being too low and the bass being too loud. I didnt see Mastadon so I don't know. With A7X the bass drums where too loud and sounded like a rumble with the double kick, you couldn't hear the snare either. The backing vocals couldn't be heard and the guitars where way too low. Both rythm and when he solo'd.

When was the last time you saw them live? I wont have a good opinion of them live until I see them again under good sound conditions tbh.

Of real music? Are you serious? Music is subjective. For you to say what's real music is really arrogant of you. And too use that as an excuse to throw things and hurl abuse at people is really awful.

Also, Im no where near an emo and I like them. But I also like music you like aswell, so am I not a fan of "real music"?

The drum issues began with AIC. The snares werent audible at all for a start. Mastodon had issues with the support mic's and several guitar pick ups

What do you mean when was the last time I saw them live? I never saw A7X live before, and hopefully never will again.

Yes. real music. It is subjective, but IMO there is no credible comparison between bands like A7X, slipknot, bullet for my valentine, MCR etc etc and Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera etc. Its just poser rock, kids normally grow out of it and move onto real music (or whatever term you want to use) between the ages of 16-19.

In the end, each to their own, if you want to listen to A7X more power to you, but for the love of god I hope another metallica gig isnt ruined by putting them as support again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

on another note.. Is there anyway to find out how many people were there? I know ya man shadows said 45,000. But its its difficult to believe considering last year had an attendence of 30-35 thousand and that was considered sold out. And for people wanting to know how Ive managed to think last year was sold out is because when i got into Dublin I was met with a load of Metallica posters with a massive sticker across reading "Sold Out" :D

looks a good amount :pac:

2hwckd4.jpgzntsmu.jpg

The drum issues began with AIC. The snares werent audible at all for a start. Mastodon had issues with the support mic's and several guitar pick ups

What do you mean when was the last time I saw them live? I never saw A7X live before, and hopefully never will again.

Yes. real music. It is subjective, but IMO there is no credible comparison between bands like A7X, slipknot, bullet for my valentine, MCR etc etc and Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera etc. Its just poser rock, kids normally grow out of it and move onto real music (or whatever term you want to use) between the ages of 16-19.

In the end, each to their own, if you want to listen to A7X more power to you, but for the love of god I hope another metallica gig isnt ruined by putting them as support again :p

I thought so. A few people have come on here and said they were very entertaining and did well even with the bad sound.

Poser rock? lol The funny thing is when thrash metal came out with slayer and metallica and that, there were more than likely ppl giving out about them in the same way because they were used to other music and it only appealed to the teenagers of that generation.

Exactly, each to their own, that's what ive been trying to get to but you obviously don't go by that if you boo and abuse the band trying to ruin it for other people.

ha So you felt let down and dissapointed when you left the gig because A7X played?

• Advertisement

on another note.. Is there anyway to find out how many people were there? I know ya man shadows said 45,000. But its its difficult to believe considering last year had an attendence of 30-35 thousand and that was considered sold out. And for people wanting to know how Ive managed to think last year was sold out is because when i got into Dublin I was met with a load of Metallica posters with a massive sticker across reading "Sold Out" :D

2hwckd4.jpgzntsmu.jpg

I thought there was alot less this year? It felt like it anyway.

I thought there was alot less this year? It felt like it anyway.

I thought so too.Looked like the crowd was definately smaller and the tower was much closer to the stage.

Edited for added pictures :D
    this was last year
    a2ta14.jpgeq9heh.jpg

I thought so too.Looked like the crowd was definately smaller and the tower was much closer to the stage.

Yeah it was but I reckon that could of made it feel smaller as well.

It just felt alot easier to get as close as possible this year.

I thought so. A few people have come on here and said they were very entertaining and did well even with the bad sound.

Poser rock? lol The funny thing is when thrash metal came out with slayer and metallica and that, there were more than likely ppl giving out about them in the same way because they were used to other music and it only appealed to the teenagers of that generation.

Exactly, each to their own, that's what ive been trying to get to but you obviously don't go by that if you boo and abuse the band trying to ruin it for other people.

ha So you felt let down and dissapointed when you left the gig because A7X played?

I suggest a read of the below. It summarises how i feel. I really am growing tired of this now, one cannot discuss music with an A7X fan. Its like talking to a virtual brick wall
    i have no problem with any band or style of music except missy eliot and 50 cent :mad: but yesterday i realised what it is that i hate about a.s.f. it's not there music i could just ignore that, it's the persona that they try to build up around themselves. they make out that there the ****. they try to make out that that synister fagot is an amazing guitarist whos in his own leage HE"S NOT every solo is the exact same formula, a deminished arpegio followed by big slides and a random bit of shred. then they have the band as a whole who try to make out that they are he cool rock stars like the old days and that there a bit mad. your not!! known of the people who had the reputation that your trying to build for yourselves dressed up and made sure that not one hair was out of place. i saw them yesterday and the singer put on an Irish gersie,:mad: ok this i could let go because i was a fair bit away and didn't have to listen to them. but then they pulled a little 12 year old onto the stage to play walk!!!! firstly who the f@ck do they think they are playing walk at that type of gig, secondly if your gonna get the crowd to sing it get someone who's voice has broken and thirdly don't cut the song in half that is in my opinion an insult to Dime. as far as i was concerned they molested it. I always ask what have these people done for the world well i'll tell you when there dead. i say give them there 16 gun sollut now but line them up and aim it at them!!!
    absolute posers....bunch of muppets and pathetic excuse for music.....lets be honest have you heard the bands names?
    • M. Shadows
    • Synyster Gates
    • Zacky Vengeance
    • Johnny Christ
    • The Rev
    yeah these guys really sound like great rock stars dont they, haveing to reply on fcukin nicknames and ponce about with their poserish ways! piss off with your sh!te brand of crap rock!

i mean just look at the pile of ponces!

AvengedSevenfold.jpg

Get a haircut, get rid of the eyeliner, and play some decent music for f*ck sake!
    GRRRRR

epic rant

Hate these fcukers.. ruined a great gig yesterday! They look like a group of 12 year olds that just walked into asha. Poser rock at its worst.

Their songs dont even mean anything, its just random "lets throw in a few deadly sounding words" and see if some 12-15 year old girls like us.
    :mad:

Words cannot express my hatred for this "band", and i use the term "band" loosely.
    They look ridiculous.

They are obviously trying to go for 'wow look how tough and f*cked up I am' but in reality they have the same effect as cricket players do when they put suncream on their lips - they look f*ckin stupid.
    I WAS AT THE BEER STAND FOR THEIR SET..AND WHAT I THOUGHT WAS HILARIOUS WAS ALL I COULD HEAR WAS GIRLS SCREAMING FOR THE WHOLE THING.... AND THATS THEIR DEMOOGRAPHIC YOUNG GIRLS AND GUYS WHO DONT KNOW ANY BETTER
    It was fcuking brilliant yesterday when they said they were gonna play some song, there was a bit of "yeah" from the crowd but was overpowered by a huge BOO!
    Highlight of their set i think.

Whoever put them on the bill yesterday is fcuking stupid, the majority of their fans are nothing like the people that liked the other bands there. There are so many bands of equal or less popularity that would have loved to tour with Metallica, and would've been better for the metallica fans but no, they pick the guys with the stupid stage names.

And synyster gates is a crap guitarist
    he is a shi!t guitarst and his fcuking name is synyster gates!! oh f*ck off you pathetic poser real musicial wannabe motherf*cker!
    heres the average fan of this ****e band

fun61.jpg
    lil'bug wrote: »
    i've never heard of them but they look like your typical emo s#ite
    trying to be all dark and hard your not cool your not intresting

YOUR NOT ROBERT SMITH
    Bunch of muppets,seen them coming on stage sat afternoon and turned for the beer stall,thought after the last gig the played with Metallica in the R.D.S
    they wouldnt come back after a somewhat frosty reception from the crowd.they are the worst.

Avenged Sevenfold F*** off and dont bother coming back,no-one wants to hear ye play your so called "metal".:mad::mad::mad:
    and Westlife apparently...

Never heard of Avenge Sevenfold but they look like right eejits alright yeah.

Also the line for the buses afterwards were very short compared to last year which zig zagged the whole way back to the entrance. good times haha

But to be fair I did rush out as soon as Metallica went off. Wasnt spending my time in another 2 and a half hour line haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

2hwckd4.jpgzntsmu.jpg

It said in the paper that there was 20,000

Jako8 wrote: »
    It said in the paper that there was 20,000

yeah that would seem about right when compared to last year.

Im hearing they might be going indoors next year but up in belfast. Its a shame cause I probably wont go to that. Way too much hassle to try get up there.Easier to fly to germany and see them at rock am ring :D If its true its a pitty. Dont quite understand people from the north who complain like mad in having to go down to dublin. They dont seem to realise its worse for us in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

yeah that would seem about right when compared to last year.

Im hearing they might be going indoors next year but up in belfast. Its a shame cause I probably wont go to that. Way too much hassle to try get up there.Easier to fly to germany and see them at rock am ring :D If its true its a pitty. Dont quite understand people from the north who complain like mad in having to go down to dublin. They dont seem to realise its worse for us in the south.

Well I won't mind giving Metallica a miss next year if Rammstein come to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Nonsense. You think it's a hassle to get to Belfast? Where in Ireland are you based?

I don't complain about having to go to Dublin. It's not that far and I'd rather go to Dublin than head to England or somewhere else to see Metallica. Fact is, a gig in Belfast is long overdue and having one there wouldn't make much of a difference to a real Metallica fan.

I suggest a read of the below. It summarises how i feel. I really am growing tired of this now, one cannot discuss music with an A7X fan. Its like talking to a virtual brick wall

You don't just discuss music with ppl who agree with you.

This wasn't about a kind of music it was about the whole demeanour of people who boo, throw stuff at bands and basically being idiots.

If you don't like a band DONT WATCH THEM. Go and enjoy yourself doing something else.

I'd like to think that I know just as much about music as you do. So please don't generalise me as an A7X fan and that's all.

And I do agree with you about what you said about people growing out of them. I used to be a big fan of them but I stopped listening to them loads but I still enjoy their songs. That's mainly down to how I go through phases of listening to one band in particular loads.

There just seems to be this way of thinking amongst some people around today where all ppl can listen to is the Metal bands from the 80's and early 90's, everything else is ****e. What makes it worse is that they feel the need to force it on to ppl, I can't stand it.

The likes of what happened in the 80's isn't going to be seen again IMO.
    Stop being so closed minded.

Anyway, I want to stop this aswell ha. Clogging up a thread :)

DoireNod wrote: »
    Nonsense. You think it's a hassle to get to Belfast? Where in Ireland are you based?

I don't complain about having to go to Dublin. It's not that far and I'd rather go to Dublin than head to England or somewhere else to see Metallica. Fact is, a gig in Belfast is long overdue and having one there wouldn't make much of a difference to a real Metallica fan.
    Limerick

And it is when you have to get the train to Dublin. Cross the city in less then an hour to get to connolly station then get another train to belfast. My ticket was €58 for Dublin and back. Id rather not pay double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

thought the gig in general was cool! alice in chains were GREAT!!!!! mastodon were quite cool too :) but avenged sevenfold??!! really?? i mean iv liked a couple of their songs before but performance wise they are one of the worst bands ever!!! they look like posey ****ers that everyone likes because they sound like everyone mixed together, badly! i usually dont mind some crap music lol but they were taking the biscuit, seriously!

Metallica, seeing them for the 4th year so far, were quite good! they did play the about the same lineup as usual but with a couple of new ones! the atmosphere was electric, as always though, which i think makes the show too! :)
    heard theyre playing only in Belfast next year :( might head over with the OH, maybe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Limerick

And it is when you have to get the train to Dublin. Cross the city in less then an hour to get to connolly station then get another train to belfast. My ticket was €58 for Dublin and back. Id rather not pay double that.

Fair enough, you have a point. :pac:

But wouldn't the bus be a cheaper option?

For a return bus ticket from Derry to Dublin it's £23.50 and that's a 4 hour journey each way.

You don't just discuss music with ppl who agree with you.

This wasn't about a kind of music it was about the whole demeanour of people who boo, throw stuff at bands and basically being idiots.

If you don't like a band DONT WATCH THEM. Go and enjoy yourself doing something else.

I'd like to think that I know just as much about music as you do. So please don't generalise me as an A7X fan and that's all.

And I do agree with you about what you said about people growing out of them. I used to be a big fan of them but I stopped listening to them loads but I still enjoy their songs. That's mainly down to how I go through phases of listening to one band in particular loads.

There just seems to be this way of thinking amongst some people around today where all ppl can listen to is the Metal bands from the 80's and early 90's, everything else is ****e. What makes it worse is that they feel the need to force it on to ppl, I can't stand it.

The likes of what happened in the 80's isn't going to be seen again IMO.
    Stop being so closed minded.

Anyway, I want to stop this aswell ha. Clogging up a thread :)

I will just say this - I didnt pay to see avenged sevenfold, and i'll be damned if im giving up my place in the pit 2 rows from the stage to see metallica ,just to not watch some emo band playing. I didnt have a choice but to watch them! Maybe thats why it aggracvated me.

ANYWAY!

The stage was definetly closer to the tower this year than last year. That in addition to waiting no more than 10 mins for a bus home would suggest to me a largely smaller crowd than last year. I'd wager 30-35,000 at most.

I did think the crowd was better this year then last though.:pac: The mosh pits were much bigger and pretty violent haha. Ive also never seen so many ****ers crowd surf. Good laugh trying to pick a few of the heavier lads up only to watch them fall right down further up when people couldnt hold em haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I'm still holding out for the extremely minuscule, non-existent hope of them playing Thomond Park.:pac:

I did think the crowd was better this year then last though.:pac: The mosh pits were much bigger and pretty violent haha. Ive also never seen so many ****ers crowd surf. Good laugh trying to pick a few of the heavier lads up only to watch them fall right down further up when people couldnt hold em haha :D

Getting kicked in the face by unexpected crowd surfers from behind ya isn't fun though. :(

DoireNod wrote: »
    Fair enough, you have a point. :pac:

But wouldn't the bus be a cheaper option?

For a return bus ticket from Derry to Dublin it's £23.50 and that's a 4 hour journey each way.

It would be and ive yet to check prices. I checked the trains yesterday when I found out about this possibility.

Getting kicked in the face by unexpected crowd surfers from behind ya isn't fun though. :(

all part of a good day out my friend :D

some people did look to get a few bad ones from crowd surfers though haha

Risteard wrote: »
    I'm still holding out for the extremely minuscule, non-existent hope of them playing Thomond Park.:pac:

:rolleyes:
    They must get the star performer in hannah montana in first!

all part of a good day out my friend :D

some people did look to get a few bad ones from crowd surfers though haha

Ha one landed on my mates head and we all just pushed him on forward and he fell into a mosh pit. Twas funny. :)

Its gas when ppl crowd surf and get pushed further back :)

Ha one landed on my mates head and we all just pushed him on forward and he fell into a mosh pit. Twas funny. :)

Its gas when ppl crowd surf and get pushed further back :)

haha yeah. I remember one guy who was pushed back only to come back past us 2 minutes later haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Funny, i thought the crowd was bigger this year?

Speaking of mosh pits, last year I was further back than i was this year unfortunately. When metallica came on a couple of blokes in their earlier 20's started moshing and this aul fella grabbed one, gave him a clatter in the head and told them if they want to mosh to move toward the front! They nearly shat themselves! Everyone was laughing. He had his kid with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mastadon, AIC and Avenged Sevenfold all had terrible sound close to the stage. Couldn't hear a thing where we were so we moved back to just behind the sound eng tower.

Much better sound there, there was still a loud clicking from the bass drums as if they were topping out a speaker or something.

Mastadon I felt just turned up, played and left. Nothing very engaging about the performance.

Thought AIC were good but the sound was off where we stood for them.

I thought Avenged Sevenfold were very entertaining it has to be said. I am not a huge fan of their music but still an energetic performance, excellent crowd interaction and Russell is a legend. I don't give a sh1te if the guy didn't sing it note perfect, he knew the lyrics, had the timing down and had a stage presence in front of a big crowd.

Thought it was a bit meh from Metallica. Didn't really do anything for me. Was cool to see them play Turn the Page as its such a rare performance but that was the highlight for me. A slow song from a band with origins in thrash metal.

Most entertaining of the day I thought were Avenged Sevenfold, they didn't sound the best, I don't particularly like their music and they look like gimps but they worked the stage well. I think they worked the hardest on the day. It reminded me of the Rolling Stones gig in Slane a few years ago. I don't know 2 of their songs but they put on a fantastic show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

faceman wrote: »
    That kid "Russell" was a poor plant. Pulling pretend randomers from the audience died when Bruce Springsteen gave it up decades ago!
    Yeah. What kind of Irish kid is called "Russell"?

Advertisement