Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

security were WAY less strict this year. last year we got patted down and bags searched. this yr the security guard said to me "oh wow thats a fancy handbag! do you have any bottles or anything dangerous in there?" i said no of course and walked on in..i was pretty gutted i had just thrown away my bottle of vodka!!

crowd was much smaller than last year. i was chatting to one of the security guards before metallica came on and he was saying that they expected a lot more people than the amount that actually showed up. there was definitely more at it last year and the crowd seemed more..tame? this year.

glyder.. i didn't really get into them. they sounded okay but not enough to make me a fan or want to buy their record. fair play to an irish band getting a slot like that though, i just don't think it was enough to make up for the lack of lamb of god, thin lizzy, etc.

mastodon.. i had high hopes for them. never really paid much attention to their music but lots of people had told me theyre incredible live and i would love them etc. yet i found myself bored and wanting to go back to the bar before the first song had ended! stayed around for 3/4 of their set because i wanted to get into them and give them a chance but i can definitely say i will not be rushing to their concerts in the future.

alice in chains.. main reason i went this year. they were even better than 06. i loved every second of their set even though jerrys mic seemed to be really low? i was on the right side near teh front (at the barrier that seperates the pit and main crowd) and i could barely hear him when he sung which was a little dissappointing but i still enjoyed their set. their new stuff sounds pretty promising too. i really hope they come back and play an indoor show soon!

avenged sevenfold.. NGL i thought they sucked. i liked them when i was 14 (19 now) and i really don't see how anyone over the age of 15/16 can take them seriously. each to their own i guess. the only thing that kept me interested in their set was the guy in the hat, aviators and black vneck, **** music but one of them is somewhat easy on the eye. i was also *kind of* looking forward to walk because i love that song but then they pulled that little "russell" kid on stage to sing it and it was ruined for me. i don't think kids singing with bands is cute or fun or anything else, it ruined the song for me (not that a7x would have been much better at it but at least the crowd would have got into the song and not stood there aww'ing and ooh'ing at the little boy who was probably set up to be ~randomly~ picked out of the crowd.

metallica.. i don't remember any of their set but i don't mind, seen them a few times already and i was mainly there for AIC.

also o/t but did anyone else get approached by 2 guys wanting to "interview" you for a radio show? they used a phone to record it..(very professional) they came over to me at the beginning of metallicas set when i was sitting drinking alone and they were very sketchy.
    i thought nothing of it at the time but looking back it wasn't right. what kind of people doing interviews keep telling you to finish your drink and about 15/20mins later i felt really weird (drowzy, felt like i wasn't really where i was and that everything wasn't really happening,time went really fast - thought i was with my friend for 5min but it was actually 50mins,dont remember much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Good to hear metallica were good this year, Im annoyed now that I didnt go:(:mad:

From reading the thread there are a few similarities to last year. What the **** is up with the amount of total pricks that go to metallica gigs. They were there last year too. I got in a fight for wearing a GnR T-shirt with some baldy **** twice my size...and yes I did come off worse obviously:(

The videos from the mosh pits are gas.

I have to say well done to A7X, that was really cool what they did bringing that kid on stage, If you pay into a gig IMO its stuff like that I like to see, pity hetfield didnt kick lars off drums and let a drunk randomer play:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

i was also *kind of* looking forward to walk because i love that song but then they pulled that little "russell" kid on stage to sing it and it was ruined for me. i don't think kids singing with bands is cute or fun or anything else, it ruined the song for me (not that a7x would have been much better at it but at least the crowd would have got into the song and not stood there aww'ing and ooh'ing at the little boy who was probably set up to be ~randomly~ picked out of the crowd.
    The only thing from Avenged Sevenfold that I was looking forward to was 'Walk' too, since my friend said they usually play it. Their rendition of it isn't the worst to be fair:

But they're no Pantera, obviously!

[I can't bloody embed these things!]

EDIT: Thanks The Frayed Ends!

DoireNod wrote: »
    The only thing from Avenged Sevenfold that I was looking forward to was 'Walk' too, since my friend said they usually play it. Their rendition of it isn't the worst to be fair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0Z-XPmYCg

But they're no Pantera, obviously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4eh8waV3MA

[I can't bloody embed these things!]

yeah i seen them play it in 06 when they played the RDS with metallica, it wasn't nearly as good as pantera but i still enjoyed it because its a great song.
    i was p*ssed off when they said they weren't going to finish it after the little guy stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

i thought metallica was great - back in portugal (this year) lars goofed up big time in one of the songs (too drunk to remember which one now) to the point james even looked back at him - i think he messed up in one of the songs too but who cares - was another brilliant concert and glad i didn't stay home as i thought i was not going to make it - 14 times and counting OH YEAH!

... who needs friends to go to a concert if the guys playing are MetallicA ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 torrential

Metallica gigs seem to draw the worst types of people. This isn't a comment on the band at all, but I saw more fights there than I've ever seen at a gig (even the scumbag fest that was Fatbot Slim the next day).

A group of them even smashed Sorrentos chipper in Rathfarnham Village, it's owned by a really nice Albanian guy who just spent a ton of money getting a new sign and menu boards, all of which are in a skip outside the shop. The windows are gone, everything's boarded up and we have no idea if he'll be able to re-open. That's totally unnacceptable, and I've read comments from people attending the gig bragging about similar rampages elsewhere. Pretty sickening behaviour and if this is the cost of a gig, Metallica can play in Belfast next time.

torrential wrote: »
    Metallica gigs seem to draw the worst types of people. This isn't a comment on the band at all, but I saw more fights there than I've ever seen at a gig (even the scumbag fest that was Fatbot Slim the next day).

A group of them even smashed Sorrentos chipper in Rathfarnham Village, it's owned by a really nice Albanian guy who just spent a ton of money getting a new sign and menu boards, all of which are in a skip outside the shop. The windows are gone, everything's boarded up and we have no idea if he'll be able to re-open. That's totally unnacceptable, and I've read comments from people attending the gig bragging about similar rampages elsewhere. Pretty sickening behaviour and if this is the cost of a gig, Metallica can play in Belfast next time.

you honestly think it will be much different if they play Belfast????:rolleyes:

theres always going to be those rowdy types at any Metallica or any similar concert who just turn into eejits after too much drink, if Metallica play Belfast there will be the same ****e going on, sorry to break to to ya.

I didn't see any fights myself.
    That is a disgrace. Not only is it mindless, it's cowardly behaviour as well. I'm sorry to hear it. The only incident I recall on the day, was of a few people throwing cans in the queue. One hit a girl on the head and I stared the culprits down (in all my glory...:rolleyes:) and after that I don't remember a can being thrown around me. Acting like that in a crowd is the definition of cowardly.

Incidentally, I was in a moshpit with two of my buddies. We may have been the more aggressive of the moshers, but when someone landed on the ground or was in a dangerous position, we made sure they were ok. It's about the buzz and the craic. People who go out looking for trouble are cúnts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 torrential

theres always going to be those rowdy types at any Metallica or any similar concert who just turn into eejits after too much drink, if Metallica play Belfast there will be the same ****e going on, sorry to break to to ya.

I know that, I'm saying that they can play elsewhere and keep the dickheads out of my neighbourhood.

That is a disgrace. Not only is it mindless, it's cowardly behaviour as well. I'm sorry to hear it. The only incident I recall on the day, was of a few people throwing cans in the queue. One hit a girl on the head and I stared the culprits down (in all my glory...) and after that I don't remember a can being thrown around me. Acting like that in a crowd is the definition of cowardly.

Incidentally, I was in a moshpit with two of my buddies. We may have been the more aggressive of the moshers, but when someone landed on the ground or was in a dangerous position, we made sure they were ok. It's about the buzz and the craic. People who go out looking for trouble are cúnts.

Ah yeah, I don't remember ever being at a gig where the moshers didn't stop to help pick someone up if they fell. A few of us formed a wall around some smaller. The lads throwing the cans needed a swift kick to the head though.

Unfortunate, its embarrasing to be associated with ****bags like that.

• Advertisement

He means go to belfast so they dont ****ing thrash dublin.

In fairness, I reckon alot of these ****bags would be scareld ****less to do anything in belfast. IMO.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Yeah. What kind of Irish kid is called "Russell"?
    Perhaps he's from D4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That is a disgrace. Not only is it mindless, it's cowardly behaviour as well. I'm sorry to hear it. The only incident I recall on the day, was of a few people throwing cans in the queue. One hit a girl on the head and I stared the culprits down (in all my glory...:rolleyes:) and after that I don't remember a can being thrown around me. Acting like that in a crowd is the definition of cowardly.

Once people grow out of moshpits, they realise how pointless they are....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Once people grow out of moshpits, they realise how pointless they are....
    Oh, I see. Thanks for that.

i agree with seachto7

plus, there were a few kids in front of me that didn't really know how to mosh..

... seriously.. it's like when you go to a place for breakfast and they can get the eggs and rashers wrong... you can't... it's almost impossible... but happened... and i saw it...

oh well...

+1 on grow up from moshpit

what does a moshpit tell you? "Look at me! I'm hard!I have my top off too". My first metal gig was Metallica in 92, and I've been to a few since,heavier bands as well, and even when i don't stand up by the stage (to make a point of staying away from the moshers), there's always a few who ruin it for me. eejits.
    I go to gigs to watch the band, not to get booted around by idiots...

i remember going to a metallica concert and enjoying the moshpit - then again, i'm older, back hurts and can't sleep 2 nights in a row in the couch... hehehehe...

I sound like an old dinosaur...sorry folks!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Great show, but not too much crowd interaction in the middle and too much Death magnetic for my taste... I got 2nd row stage left of the pit, but didn't get to sing Seek and Destroy with James Hetfield or catch a plec :(

The setlists for this tour were fab, all different with random choices from Kill Em All and Garage Inc. You can check them out here

Personally, I was let down by lack of Fuel, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Creeping Death, which incidentally were the first three tracks played in Finland last week!! :( I LOVED Turn the Page, one of my all time faves, been waiting to hear it live for years!! :D

Really good night. Alice in Chains rocked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

i thought metallica was great - back in portugal (this year) lars goofed up big time in one of the songs (too drunk to remember which one now) to the point james even looked back at him - i think he messed up in one of the songs too but who cares

During Sad but True James messed up the introduction lyrics and some other song too. Getting old James... getting old :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Great show, but not too much crowd interaction in the middle and too much Death magnetic for my taste... I got 2nd row stage left of the pit, but didn't get to sing Seek and Destroy with James Hetfield or catch a plec :(

The setlists for this tour were fab, all different with random choices from Kill Em All and Garage Inc. You can check them out here

Personally, I was let down by lack of Fuel, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Creeping Death, which incidentally were the first three tracks played in Finland last week!! :( I LOVED Turn the Page, one of my all time faves, been waiting to hear it live for years!! :D

They played creeping death second :pac:
    During Sad but True James messed up the introduction lyrics and some other song too. Getting old James... getting old :P
    I thought that too but wasnt a hundered percent sure. As the crowd were getting the words wrong too. I thought I heard him say im your eyes when you must feel or something haha
    It was probably the crowd for that because its actually when you must steal. :pac:

EDIT:Just watched a video of it from the night and it seemed to be perfect :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2nd song

I was stage left, 2nd row too...how far down were ya? I did leave there at Broken, Beat & Scarred...head couldnt take any more bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

There was a lot of messing up lol

If I had gone to see them, I would have expected a good few Death Mag songs, seeing as they were touring the current album. it would be a shame to just get a rehash of what they played a few yrs back, and a few yrs before that...(to me)

seachto7 wrote: »
    If I had gone to see them, I would have expected a good few Death Mag songs, seeing as they were touring the current album. it would be a shame to just get a rehash of what they played a few yrs back, and a few yrs before that...(to me)
    I was looking forward to hearing them myself. They all sound great live I think. And especially all nightmare long :pac:
    Cyanide was the weakest of the DM songs played I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

on another note.. Is there anyway to find out how many people were there? I know ya man shadows said 45,000. But its its difficult to believe considering last year had an attendence of 30-35 thousand and that was considered sold out. And for people wanting to know how Ive managed to think last year was sold out is because when i got into Dublin I was met with a load of Metallica posters with a massive sticker across reading "Sold Out" :D

looks a good amount :pac:

there was half the amount there was last year so thats approx 15,000
    A7X wrote: »
    Ha one landed on my mates head and we all just pushed him on forward and he fell into a mosh pit. Twas funny. :)

do you mean the empty mosh pit, the place that most people stopped moshin coz of a few gobsh!tes so it was an empty circle? if so i am sorry but you are a pile of inconsiderate fcukers....that guy could have broken his neck....infact i think its a miracle that he didnt!
    when someone landed on the ground or was in a dangerous position, we made sure they were ok. It's about the buzz and the craic. People who go out looking for trouble are cúnts.

thats the correct way to mosh, its not a fcuking fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

God I love concerts

For anyone whos planning on downloading the Dublin concert it should be up to buy tomorrow according to www.livemetallica.com
    August 5: We're a little out of order here (it happens!), so the Knebworth show is now ready for you to download. Opening with Blackened, the band then ripped into Creeping Death and didn't look back . . . Of Wolf And Man, Fuel, Dyers Eve, Hit The Lights were some of the highlights. Dublin is still in the works and with a few final tweaks should be available for you tomorrow evening.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Great stuff, looking forward to it. Placed the pre-order a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I know this has nothing to do with the concert (Mods ever consider sticky a all in one Metallica thread ala UG?) but this **** is hilarious

Advertisement