Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Definitely ordering the dublin concert from metontour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

hmmm - didn't catch the part where he messed up the lyrics - wondering if i messed up as well hehehe...

... on the other hand, i actually enjoyed the more death magnetic - i bought the album the moment it hit the shelve but so many stuff to do that i never really had time to listen to it properly

i like to listen to new stuff live as i think it has a lot more impact than listening to it in a cd or video, and then seeing it live - there is a different 'feel' if you know what i mean...

... loved it - missed for whom the bell tolls too but you said they didn't play creeping death - i'm almost sure they did (been to so many i keep mixing them but i'm almost sure they did)...

p.s. - i've seen a better cover from them for turn the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

... loved it - missed for whom the bell tolls too but you said they didn't play creeping death - i'm almost sure they did (been to so many i keep mixing them but i'm almost sure they did)...

Creeping Death was their 2nd track, following Blackened

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Great show, but not too much crowd interaction in the middle and too much Death magnetic for my taste... I got 2nd row stage left of the pit, but didn't get to sing Seek and Destroy with James Hetfield or catch a plec :(

The setlists for this tour were fab, all different with random choices from Kill Em All and Garage Inc. You can check them out here

Personally, I was let down by lack of Fuel, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Creeping Death, which incidentally were the first three tracks played in Finland last week!! :( I LOVED Turn the Page, one of my all time faves, been waiting to hear it live for years!! :D

Really good night. Alice in Chains rocked too.

after motley, i'd say you were still hipped by blackned to miss one of your favorites...

... not the first time i see both avenged and alice (actually, the 3rd and 5th respectively) and i really don't like their music - great performances but really not in my favorites

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Gig was deadly.
    We missed Mastadon and Glider, and only caught the end of Alice In Chains (not too upset about that) as we were on the beer nearby but Avenged 7 X were pretty good and Metallica rocked as usual. Saw them last year and loved them but was better this time.. Day That Never Comes was deadly, Harvester Of Sorrow, Creeping Death, All rocked!! Was dying to hear Cyanide but think it was the one song that they didn't quite nail.

Would see them again next year I reckon but here's hoping we see another album (as good as the last on e) in the meantime!

Saw Judas Priest (supported by Testament and Megadeath) in the O2 earlier this year - now they can put on a show!! Metallica boys looked a little tired, never knew Lars was able to go through a whole set without talking "um..."

Anyway, they rocked as usual, and for all giving out that they have no new stuff, have you not heard Death Magnetic yet? And anyway, Metallica wouldnt be the same if they didnt play all their early stuff... They give the people what they want!!

Metal Up Your A**

G
    Mother, Daughter, Lover, Hater xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Trendkill97

seachto7 wrote: »
    what does a moshpit tell you? "Look at me! I'm hard!I have my top off too". My first metal gig was Metallica in 92, and I've been to a few since,heavier bands as well, and even when i don't stand up by the stage (to make a point of staying away from the moshers), there's always a few who ruin it for me. eejits.
    I go to gigs to watch the band, not to get booted around by idiots...

haha i had my top off...can't say I was hard though :p I don't see why there is so much resentment towards mosh-pits, it's a METAL concert not Westlife. Of course everyone is entitled to stand and watch a band in peace, but if everyone did that, the atmosphere would be seriously "Kenny Rogers-esque"

furthermore, i'm only 5ft 4 so watching a band peacefully, with a decent view just isn't possible :P

A7X wrote: »
    Poser rock? lol The funny thing is when thrash metal came out with slayer and metallica and that, there were more than likely ppl giving out about them in the same way because they were used to other music and it only appealed to the teenagers of that generation.

in fact, one of the early ideals of thrash metal resulted in a backlash against the "poser" scene of early 1980's Los Angeles at the time. Glam rock bands such as Motley Crue, Warrant and Poison etc were seen by thrashers as taking themselves too seriously, surrounded by glitz and glammer. Thrash bands began wearing jeans and t-shirts on stage, with lyrical content associated more closely with the fans at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What sort of tweeks would they be doing for the Dublin show to download? If I hear that One comes out perfectly on the download, I would lose all respect for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bobby boots

AIC were boring beyond belief. No resentment towards the new singer as he gave a sterling performance. But the band themselves were going through the motions. It was like taking a slow uncomfortable dump. I could only bare 3or 4 songs before I turned my back and headed for the watered down booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

haha i had my top off...can't say I was hard though :p I don't see why there is so much resentment towards mosh-pits, it's a METAL concert not Westlife.

I think this video answers all - especially about the shirtless guys in the mosh pit :)

• Advertisement

AIC were boring beyond belief. No resentment towards the new singer as he gave a sterling performance. But the band themselves were going through the motions. It was like taking a slow uncomfortable dump. I could only bare 3or 4 songs before I turned my back and headed for the watered down booze.

AIC were loving it up there, were a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Mushy wrote: »
    AIC were loving it up there, were a joy to watch.
    I quite enjoyed AIC, not really a fan of theirs since i was like 17 (5 years ago), ive grown out of them. But they put on a great show, old favourites mixed with some great sounding new stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Decided to skip Metallica again this year, having seen them enough times already. Based on what I've read in this topic and in other reports, doesn't sound like I missed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Well what do you expect...they play here more often than Brendan Grace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Decided to skip Metallica again this year, having seen them enough times already. Based on what I've read in this topic and in other reports, doesn't sound like I missed much.

They played some of their new album for the first time in Ireland. Id consider that to be a significant loss on your part if you are a fan.

The Ticket, supplement with the Irish Times, Gig of the Week section, Alice in Chains:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

faceman wrote: »
    They played some of their new album for the first time in Ireland. Id consider that to be a significant loss on your part if you are a fan.
    Defintely

Although it wasnt the first time - I heard cyanide at the last gig here (20-08-08)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

What? Most of the posts on this thread are positive and say that it was a good/great show, better than last years.

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    I think this video answers all - especially about the shirtless guys in the mosh pit :)

haha i dont think this video represents me at all. Still, i had a good chuckle watching it :D

just read one of your earlier posts Ph3n0m:

"I brought my daughter to see them this year, and for near 2 hours solid, they whipped the crowd into a moshing/dancing frenzy - so they are obviously doing something right"

• Advertisement

just read one of your earlier posts Ph3n0m:

"I brought my daughter to see them this year, and for near 2 hours solid, they whipped the crowd into a moshing/dancing frenzy - so they are obviously doing something right"

true - but that was about Bullet for My Valentine

yeah, but it shows some approval of moshpits?

yeah, but it shows some approval of moshpits?

nope - that was quote was in reference to someone saying BFMV were crap.

But as for moshpits - hell I am all for them - good, friendly, violent fun - thats the whole point of them.

My only issue with them (besides the shirtless guys) is people who go into them and complain or who go in with the absolute intention of actually hurting someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

They played creeping death second :pac:

I thought that too but wasnt a hundered percent sure. As the crowd were getting the words wrong too. I thought I heard him say im your eyes when you must feel or something haha
    It was probably the crowd for that because its actually when you must steal. :pac:

EDIT:Just watched a video of it from the night and it seemed to be perfect :pac:

Yea! I thought it was eyes when you can't feel instead of ...steal alright! haha.

They played Creeping Death? Hmm.. Did I blank that? Must have been cos of Blackened alright.:D One of the things I look fwd to most is singing Woah oh oh... with the guitar solo. hahah!
    Mushy wrote: »
    2nd song

I was stage left, 2nd row too...how far down were ya? I did leave there at Broken, Beat & Scarred...head couldnt take any more bass.

I was just between the main stage and the left platform part with the mic under the big screen. There was some cute lil blonde girl with glasses rocking out beside me and a guy who REALLY loved Death Magnetic and knew every word to every song. Was that you??? ;) hahah!

Jaysus still no sign of the download.

Getting impatient now.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

adox wrote: »
    Jaysus still no sign of the download.

Getting impatient now.:mad:

It'll be up by sunday. The crew have barley gotten home so they deserve a break!

i think you're missing the point - you did miss a good show - not a spectacular one but, still, a very good one...

... at some stage people were miseducated to always want way more than they know they'll get - they expect too much and demand the ultimate show every time they go to a movie, concert or whatever they like to do...

because people don't appreciate what's being showed to them, they end up giving bad critics and poor reviews - i'm sure that, sometimes, there will be a bad show (or a bad movie) but think about the effort of hundreds of people to put that show up...

once and for all, start enjoying things for what they are and not for what they should be...

Show is up!

Lil Kitten wrote: »

I was just between the main stage and the left platform part with the mic under the big screen. There was some cute lil blonde girl with glasses rocking out beside me and a guy who REALLY loved Death Magnetic and knew every word to every song. Was that you??? ;) hahah!

Your absolutely kidding me right? Thats exactly where I was, was introduced to that blonde girl that day through my friend(ya prob saw the bleached blonde on her too). I was beside her until halfway through BBS when I left. But no, I wasn't the DM lover. Had black QotSA hoodie on, bright blue hat, red tshirt, altho ya must have seen me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well that was my 5th Metallica concert, and it was the worst concert (of any kind) I've ever been to. The song lineup was terrible, the quality of the sound was atrocious (not their fault, MCD's)and two of the bands dropped out, with no refund offers. I don't think I'll be seeing them again.

Advertisement