Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

adox wrote: »
    Show is up!

Did you find Whiskey in the Jar to sound very similar to the Thin Lizzy version ? Im very impressed !

Last sounded like that in 1999 at The Point !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Het-Field wrote: »
    Did you find Whiskey in the Jar to sound very similar to the Thin Lizzy version ? Im very impressed !

Last sounded like that in 1999 at The Point !

Still got to get this.
    How is it anyway for the rest of it? :pac:

How did one turn out? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The song lineup was terrible, the quality of the sound was atrocious (not their fault, MCD's)and two of the bands dropped out, with no refund offers.

the song lineup has nothing to do with the promoter

I will agree to have three acts drop out of the concert and not give some kind of replacement, im sorry but glyder do not count as replacement for The Sword, Lamb of God and/or Thin Lizzy was terrible and should have been highlighted

As regards the sound, it was terrible in the pit, but that was because Rob's bass was turned up way too high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

glad i didnt go if iam hearing mixed reviews of it. and for 75 a ticket and with 3 bands pulling out and no refund was bad, u would thik they would have tried to get some more up and coming rock bands on the bill was there at their gig last year in same venue and the sound seemed ok to me prob could do with the weather that night or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I will agree to have three acts drop out of the concert and not give some kind of replacement, im sorry but glyder do not count as replacement for The Sword, Lamb of God and/or Thin Lizzy was terrible and should have been highlighted

As regards the sound, it was terrible in the pit, but that was because Rob's bass was turned up way too high

song lineup doesn't but I'm pretty sure the sound system did - as I'd assume it was a rental :-)

ChocolateSauce was , like so many deluded people, wondering why there were no refund offers for SUPPORT bands pulling out of a gig - it's not changed, it's still simple, they were SUPPORT bands why the hell would there be refunds offered, this was a Metallica gig with the best support line up they've ever had, even with the drop outs.....I've never ever heard of people looking for Refunds when a support band pulls out of a gig......

I would agree that MCD are a disgrace for not even keeping their own website up to date and never explaining their mistakes along the way or the fact that one band had split up and another dropped out off all touring to complete an album............LOG were never on this bill - that was the big mistake that MCD made, they never had them signed up so advertising them as on it was just wrong.......
    but it's only in recent years that the actual supports have been getting listed at all, I remember the days when they just used to copy tour posters and change the location and date info - and the supports never came that were listed.....

The sounds wasn't great anywhere, though it didn't seem to bother most people........I've read a lot of complaints about mistakes in the set (and there were definitely mistakes) but isn't that all part of a live experience ????
    surely you'd rather hear a band that are up there giving it socks and make some mistakes - otherwise you might as well stand in a field with the album playing (although I think that in Ireland I could sell that one pretty well.......:-)....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

NIBBS wrote: »
    ChocolateSauce was , like so many deluded people, wondering why there were no refund offers for SUPPORT bands pulling out of a gig - it's not changed, it's still simple, they were SUPPORT bands why the hell would there be refunds offered, this was a Metallica gig with the best support line up they've ever had, even with the drop outs.....I've never ever heard of people looking for Refunds when a support band pulls out of a gig......
    It's justified, you stated the reason in your post:
    but it's only in recent years that the actual supports have been getting listed at all, I remember the days when they just used to copy tour posters and change the location and date info - and the supports never came that were listed.....
    A concert is a service being sold by MCD. If they advertise the support bands, then that's part of the service they're selling. If support bands pull out and they don't refund people, then that's false advertising.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone had Alice in Chains not been playing, had they pulled out I would have most certainly wanted a refund*.

*Had I payed full price - I wouldn't really be entitled to one, having bought a complimentary ticket for €40 off a friend, but that's not the point :p

Don't quite understand how people can say the set list was terrible. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but with a good few classics and some of the best new stuff just cant see how.Every song they played was brilliant.

Also I see no problem with the price for the amount of bands that played.
    I enjoyed it a lot more then last year so it was worth every bit of it.

Last years was less then €5 cheaper and all the support acts we got were Sweet Savage and Tenacious D. I never got to see sweet savage though. Was in the middle of that 3 hour line outside.

But I suppose I would have went if it was just Metallica the support acts are just a plus to me. I do like mastodon so that was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

The recording is out. Haven't really listened to it yet, just a few songs. First went to check if the guy from Sweet Savage actually said "Belfast," and yes, he did. Went for Fight Fire With Fire and the synchronization of where the band comes in after the intro was just awful. Also Kirk, congrats on forgetting about the third solo in One. Also, look at the cover for the show that they released.

whatyho.jpg

Look at Kirk's face. He look like the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt. Oh, and also Kirk, congrats on this masterpiece also.

For a person who's been playing guitar for around 32 years, he sounds like a 16 year old in his first year.

Thought yeah man from sweet savage said "Hello Dublin" then said "Hello Belfast"?

Yeah with Fight Fire with Fire they always seem to be a bit late after the intro. Happens all the time

Also just listened to Turn the Page from Dublin. Probably the best ive heard it live all year. Better then the Mexico version :pac:

245avtf.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

He said both Dublin and Belfast because he's from Belfast and he knows that loads of people came down from Belfast to see the gig, you hardly thought he said it by accident did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Hahah! Yea, they played it... I get it. I do remember now 'Die, Die....' and my boyfriend complaining cos he hates all that sh1t. Not the best rendition I have to say, I'm disappointed listening back.
    Mushy wrote: »
    Had black QotSA hoodie on, bright blue hat, red tshirt, altho ya must have seen me.

Hahah! I remember you, very colourful in a sea of black t shirts. You saved my place for me. I thought she was your girlfriend and when you didn't come back I was like wtf? I was chatting to her. She was the image of Cameron from House. That other bleach blonde girl knew my red haired friend. That's gas! Could this country be any smaller!

Also just listened to Turn the Page from Dublin. Probably the best ive heard it live all year. Better then the Mexico version :pac:

Thanks for that! Just amazing!! Sounds like the CD version. James on top form definitely.

But it went downhill in 'One' big time. Not only Kirk's bad guitar solo. Did anyone else notice the foot pedals were a triple beat or something not double foot pedalls or however Lars usually does it so fast.

Kirk just ****ed up the solo completely. He seemed to just forget about it and then tried to cut into it and it sounded like **** haha
    Just after listening to the full concert and have to say it was absolutely brilliant everything apart from one of course :pac:
    Will be listening to this for a long time to come :D

With the double bass I think something was wrong to be honest. They seemed to be testing it for ages before hand and right after one I saw lars moving stuff around up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lil Kitten wrote: »

Hahah! I remember you, very colourful in a sea of black t shirts. You saved my place for me. I thought she was your girlfriend and when you didn't come back I was like wtf? I was chatting to her. She was the image of Cameron from House. That other bleach blonde girl knew my red haired friend. That's gas! Could this country be any smaller!

Yeah, knew it'd stand out:D Ah yes, remember doing that. Some lads did try cut in, but I stayed strong haha! Nah, I wish:P Someday maybe:cool: Ears were bursting, stupid bass. Head was sore enough from Mastodon/AIC, so couldn't stay around with bad enough hearing as it is. Had fun with GLyder people though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    It's justified, you stated the reason in your post:

A concert is a service being sold by MCD. If they advertise the support bands, then that's part of the service they're selling. If support bands pull out and they don't refund people, then that's false advertising.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone had Alice in Chains not been playing, had they pulled out I would have most certainly wanted a refund*.

*Had I payed full price - I wouldn't really be entitled to one, having bought a complimentary ticket for €40 off a friend, but that's not the point :p

Support bands are only a small part of the service they are selling - I'm not defending MCD in the mismanagement of how it was done - but you should never be entitled to a refund at an event like this unless the main act pull out, that's what's being sold, otherwise you could be looking for a refund at any sporting event such as a football match of your favourite player wasn't playing (the players are part of the service but they are not what's being sold which is the match). It's quite clear that people don't believe this anymore, maybe it's because of the high ticket prices which is fair enough, but if it were to go down the route here that that people could get refunds when a support act pulled out of a tour then there wouldn't be any events like this again, and there wouldn't be support acts anymore because promoters wouldn't take the risk...anyway I've said enough on this....

It's not false advertising as they have subject to change on advertisements...

In fairness MCD have fcuked the punter around for way too long. One off gigs being held in festival venues is a money saving exercise. Over priced food, up to our necks in muck, inadequate and unsanitary lavatory facilites all give rise to a wholly uncomfortable afternoon. The pit pass que for AC/DC and Metallica were a joke. Unlike the RDS, they were easy to skip, and due to inadequate security, and the all round good nature of Irish mettallers, there was not a word said about it.

The saving grace at Metallica was the fact that we got there first. Remember last year ? Lenny Kravitz, Muse, and one or two others had been there before, and there was hay all over the place to cover the urine, alcohol, and puke soaked ground. My shoes were wrecked, and sittign down was not an option.

I know a Fine Gael County Councellor from Glencullen (who is a Metallica fan IIRC), who is anxious to let Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council have a say in concerts at Marley Park. I would be delighted if the council would just veto the use of Marley Park altogether. The transport infrastructure is poor, the services are weak, and its a distance from town.

It a joke that the only county who couldnt facilitate Metallica's Death magnetic show, and U2's 360 tour, was Ireland. If Ireland inc ever recovers, it is something which needs to be considered.

Finally, in relation to support acts. MCD should be careful who they announce. The LOG debacle was a joke. Lizzy and the Sword were exceptions. Thus, the declaration of two support acts withdrawing for legitimate reason is not a problem. The bull**** about LOG is a disgrace. But they were the third support act behind AX7 and AIC. As such, refunds would be a joke. Unless of couse MCD announced Metallica were headlining, and they pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I know a Fine Gael County Councellor from Glencullen (who is a Metallica fan IIRC), who is anxious to let Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council have a say in concerts at Marley Park.

Who would that be then?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Who would that be then?

Neile Richmond.

I read it somewhere, I think on Fine Gael's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Support bands are only a small part of the service they are selling
    I dunno if I agree with that. Traditionally, maybe, but when the first band is on at 3, and Metallica is on at 9, that's 6 hours of the event you're paying €80 for. It's different when there's one support act and the gates are at 7.
    you should never be entitled to a refund at an event like this unless the main act pull out, that's what's being sold, otherwise you could be looking for a refund at any sporting event such as a football match of your favourite player wasn't playing (the players are part of the service but they are not what's being sold which is the match).
    On the other hand, MCD could just announce that Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater were supporting Metallica, without having to bother booking any of the first 3 bands.

I suppose there's a difference between a support act and an act whose presence is genuinely selling extra tickets for the gig.

As far as I'm concerned, if there're 3+ support acts and the event is going on all day, the supports are as important a part of the service as the main act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Neile Richmond.

I read it somewhere, I think on Fine Gael's website.

Not that it matters but I don't think he's from Glencullen - he seems to be concentrated around Ballinteer which would tie in with the whole Marlay Park thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

am i the only one that thinks those live tracks sound ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

In fairness MCD have fcuked the punter around for way too long. One off gigs being held in festival venues is a money saving exercise. Over priced food, up to our necks in muck, inadequate and unsanitary lavatory facilites all give rise to a wholly uncomfortable afternoon. The pit pass que for AC/DC and Metallica were a joke. Unlike the RDS, they were easy to skip, and due to inadequate security, and the all round good nature of Irish mettallers, there was not a word said about it.

Spot on. I qued for 40 minutes for a sub from subway at AC/DC and ended up packing it in,was worse than any mosh pit i've ever been in. The gig last week was my last outdoor show,in future i'll travel abroad to see a band indoors rather than stand in a poxy field paying mad money for gargle/food etc.

My tickets and flight to see Metallica in london in march came to less than what it cost to see them in a field in south dublin. It was easier to get food and drink and i got to see the band up close and personal,it's a no brainer as the yanks would say.

Vanhalla wrote: »
    am i the only one that thinks those live tracks sound ****!

Sounded pretty good to my ears,recording was as good as any previous LiveMet shows.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Spot on. I qued for 40 minutes for a sub from subway at AC/DC and ended up packing it in,was worse than any mosh pit i've ever been in. The gig last week was my last outdoor show,in future i'll travel abroad to see a band indoors rather than stand in a poxy field paying mad money for gargle/food etc.

My tickets and flight to see Metallica in london in march came to less than what it cost to see them in a field in south dublin. It was easier to get food and drink and i got to see the band up close and personal,it's a no brainer as the yanks would say.

well said. i hate this country

In fairness we're a nation of moaners(me included) but **** all gets done about it. Myself and a mate decided that rather than moan every year about outdoor gigs we'll do something about it ie. not go!

lord lucan wrote: »

Here Here !

The London gig on the 28th was of no comparison to what transpired last week, and even moreso when AC/DC played punchestown. The 02 is wonderfully equipped with Bars, restaurants, massive merchandise outlet, and save for the Tube works that day, excellent infrastructure. The band could play their entire Death Magnetic set (Ireland being the only country that Metallica toured who couldnt get it), and then free shuttle busses were available from a very user friendly location.

Save for a Metallica return, I will never return to an outdoor gig either. Its an insult to the punter, and the punter shouldnt take it any more !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I never said it did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Love the download of the concert, great memory to have and I think it sounds excellent. The mistakes give it a bit of character. You can also really hear the enthusiasm in Hetfields voice in every word sung and spoken. He seemed genuinely to be really up for it. It came across on the night and certainly does on the download.
    One other thing it does confirm is Lars is s **** drummer and getting worse.:D

As I`ve said before, I really enjoyed the whole experience. I thought Marley Park was a pleasure to visit. Walked straight in and straight out. Two minutes que maximum for the bar. All the food stalls,which were plentiful, had little or no ques.

I thought the place was really clean and a nice setting and the stewards were actually going around cleaning the place up as the concert was on.

anyone want to do me a cd of the gig :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I've lived in Edinburgh for a year now

In Feb 2009 I took a train to Sheffield, with overnight accommodation in a Hotel, and watched Metallica play HFM Arena. It cost, including food and drink, roughly 150pounds

I came back to Dublin for the gig last week, and between flights, tickets and food and drink at the gig I paid a lot more then that (even with a better exchange when you translate from Sterling to Euro)

Advertisement