Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I dunno if I agree with that. Traditionally, maybe, but when the first band is on at 3, and Metallica is on at 9, that's 6 hours of the event you're paying €80 for. It's different when there's one support act and the gates are at 7.

I take your (very valid point) I guess I'm just going from what we normally get as support from Metallica - for example for last years show there was one band and a couple of monkeys for just about the same money........it's only symantics but had they called this show Sonisphere I would be agreeing with you 100% - as they classed it as a Metallica show with a number of supports I pretty much take it that it's €76 to see Metallica.....(which of course is also too much.....but we accept it here....we are all guilty of that I think)

On the other hand, MCD could just announce that Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater were supporting Metallica, without having to bother booking any of the first 3 bands.

I'm pretty sure that's been done on many occasions :-)
    yep point taken....

I suppose there's a difference between a support act and an act whose presence is genuinely selling extra tickets for the gig.

As far as I'm concerned, if there're 3+ support acts and the event is going on all day, the supports are as important a part of the service as the main act.

much as that should be the case I don't think that's the general view on this Island......if it were people might actually pay some attention to support acts, or at least turn up for them......a lot of people would actually get a pleasant surprise to catch a band they no nothing about and it turns out they'd be into them.........here however I find that most of the time people just turn up for the main act (Marlay I think had a decent sized crowd early this year because of the hassles of getting into the bloody place last year....)

I agree with the others though I won't be going there again, outdoor mess's are just too much of a pain for me now.......the mess that was made of the busses at Slane was the reason I didn't go to Ac/Dc in Punchestown (I managed to go to the O2 gig - but would have like to go to that too).......
    I think if they are doing outdoors next year I'll be off to Holland or somewhere in Europe...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Numina wrote: »
    The recording is out. Haven't really listened to it yet, just a few songs. First went to check if the guy from Sweet Savage actually said "Belfast," and yes, he did. Went for Fight Fire With Fire and the synchronization of where the band comes in after the intro was just awful. Also Kirk, congrats on forgetting about the third solo in One. Also, look at the cover for the show that they released.

whatyho.jpg

Look at Kirk's face. He look like the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt. Oh, and also Kirk, congrats on this masterpiece also.

For a person who's been playing guitar for around 32 years, he sounds like a 16 year old in his first year.
    he actually said hello dublin.....hello belfast....considering he's from belfast and that half the crowd wish they were playing a belfast gig, i don't see what the problem is?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Got back stage for Mastodon and Alice in Chains myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

The video is up on metontour :D

Contains the meet and greet, Tune up, Whiskey and Killing time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

When Whiskey came on I went nuts. The video has some good sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DoireNod wrote: »
    When Whiskey came on I went nuts. The video has some good sound!

Anyone notice that Hetfield f***ed up the words AGAIN!!!??? Think he left out a verse at the beginning??

Anyone notice that Hetfield f***ed up the words AGAIN!!!??? Think he left out a verse at the beginning??

No he didn't. Seems pretty perfect to me. Best it's been performed in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No he didn't. Seems pretty perfect to me. Best it's been performed in a long time

Listen to it again. He definetly f***ed it up near the beginning.

No I don't notice any mistakes... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

"I first produced my rapier,
    And then produced my rapier...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Sounds fine to me :confused:

It is fine.Has no **** ups in it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

first chorus of killing time has a riff f**k up. like one of them is one fret too far up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Trendkill97

I agree haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

"I first produced my rapier,
    And then produced my rapier...."

He done that in '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Trendkill97

I first produced my pistol
    And then produced my rapier

Correct lyrics

lord lucan wrote: »
    He done that in '08.

'06 was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

'06 was it not?

My mistake,it was '06. Hetfield had a little giggle when he realised he'd ****ed it up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

Totally coming in late to the discussion here, but I was at that gig and I might I say Metallica were on form.
    I've seen them so many times at this point, that I've lost count.
    I was glad to see that they finally shook the setlist up and played some songs that I didn't see coming... Turn The Page???! :O shocker!

My question; does it bother anyone else at Dublin gigs, I'm presuming this is going to be a small number of people, that everyone is chanting "WHISKEYYYY!" pretty much straight off the bat?
    I have recordings of a few of the gigs and at the end of most songs, that is all you hear??
    Personally, I'd love to hear them replace it and play another song that's much less heard. Am I alone on this?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

I agree with you anna molly. i am sick of hearing whiskey at this stage. although i do like the way at the last couple of gigs they played it early in the set to get it out of the way.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they played it so early last time, I was in a state of shock!
    The chanting hadn't even begun!
    Remember the year that they didn't play it? ha

Yes i do that was my first metallica concert, and that was when i really wanted to hear it!haha.

Hahaha, typical.

I don't know if it was already discussed here, there's lots of pages, but the que???
    That was utter hell.

Anna Molly wrote: »
    Hahaha, typical.

I don't know if it was already discussed here, there's lots of pages, but the que???
    That was utter hell.
    At least it wasn't as bad as last year. That came close to crippling me :pac:

The whole thing was better organised this year. Still I hope it's the last at Marlay Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

was a nightmare q'ing up last year. been hearing mixed views on the gig. seen them 5 times allready so not to pushed if i saw them again they were great live last year but was goin on hols the monday and then england the following weeknd plus i wanted to see thin lizzy. heard allice in chans played well .

the ques didnt bother me to be honest cos when i arrived at marley i bought a six pack and sat a trailer beside the entrance and drank it! then went in as AIC started. getting out was tedious but again could of been alot worse!

Last year was a breeze I thought.
    It was horribly organized, as was this year.
    This year saw the same multiple ques, as folk had to idea where they were going. I made my way to the main entrance, got to that que and no joke, no word of a lie, pushing started and we were squashed, I mean like sardines in a tin, unable to move for an hour and a half. Full body contact with the people surrounding you. I hope next time they use the original concert promoters, they know what they were doing.

I prefered this years gig to last years. Apart from One everything was top class. Hetfields voice hasn't been this good in years :pac:

and the fact they played Fight Fire with Fire :cool:

Whiplash wrote: »
    the ques didnt bother me to be honest cos when i arrived at marley i bought a six pack and sat a trailer beside the entrance and drank it! then went in as AIC started. getting out was tedious but again could of been alot worse!

I was of the mentality that I have seen Metallica many times and going or not didn't bother me. However, I am short so if I didn't get a pitt pass, I was going home. But I got one and stayed, damn glad I did! [:

• Advertisement

I just had no interest in seeing gylder or mastadon. wanted to see AIC & Metallica. I never get pit passes but i get closer to stage every concert!lol this year i got up to the pit barrier! woo. got a few good pics. I am a **** for taking pictures at anything i go to be it wrestling music or whatever, i love getting shots to remember the great moments

and agree with you frayed ends, this years gig was better than last years and oh my god hearing fight fire with fire live was fantastic! I also was pleased to hear turn the page live.

Advertisement