Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica, Marlay Park '09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

All I will say is that you should definitely try to catch then indoors at some point, its an incredible experience. Agreed that a stage show is important, but Metallica have never been into the big theatrics really, apart from that collapsing stage on the cunning stunts era tour. I'd rather hear Whiplash or Dyers Eve live than watch pyro.

Good point. Seen them in the states in january and the UK in march and their current indoor tour is excellent,best i've seen 'em in years tbh. I'm not as excited about the marley park gig mainly because it's an outdoor show,i've grown to dislike outdoor gigs over the last few years,crap sound,over-priced food and drink,dodgy weather. Roll on MSG in november,can't wait for that.:D

Tbh this is an eternal debate and there'll be many more threads like this as long as Metallica still tour,you like them or you don't,easy as that really,seems like a matter of life and death to people sometimes!! We could all flame various bands for ****e live performances,i've seen plenty of stinkers from some well-known and respected bands over the years. Sure i'm biased when it comes to metallica but i'm not completely blinkered,i can see the faults/****-ups that they've made over the years,i'm just happy that they still have the enthusiasm to get out on the road and kick it live. They're wealthy men,they could sit on their arse and watch the royalties roll in but yet they still have the fire in them to get out and put on a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

lord lucan wrote: »
    Good point. Seen them in the states in january and the UK in march and their current indoor tour is excellent,best i've seen 'em in years tbh. I'm not as excited about the marley park gig mainly because it's an outdoor show,i've grown to dislike outdoor gigs over the last few years,crap sound,over-priced food and drink,dodgy weather. Roll on MSG in november,can't wait for that.:D

Tbh this is an eternal debate and there'll be many more threads like this as long as Metallica still tour,you like them or you don't,easy as that really,seems like a matter of life and death to people sometimes!! We could all flame various bands for ****e live performances,i've seen plenty of stinkers from some well-known and respected bands over the years. Sure i'm biased when it comes to metallica but i'm not completely blinkered,i can see the faults/****-ups that they've made over the years,i'm just happy that they still have the enthusiasm to get out on the road and kick it live. They're wealthy men,they could sit on their arse and watch the royalties roll in but yet they still have the fire in them to get out and put on a show.

Metallica-Are-****-Till_I-Die:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aideen..

What he said!!
    Also, especially what he said re: MSG, thats gonna be insanely brilliant! :D
    Also, if you're in Metclub, do we get to go in earlier than others if we have will call tickets? Or is that not gonna happen for that leg? I'd check on ppm, but my membership has expired..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

millington wrote: »
    I'm sorry, can you not read?

Since the 90s!

Oh I can read, still doesnt make your point any more valid. Try backing up your statement with some reasons rather than just saying how many albums or bootlegs you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Oh I can read, still doesnt make your point any more valid. Try backing up your statement with some reasons rather than just saying how many albums or bootlegs you own.
    I was just saying that before everyone started calling me just another hater.;)

First time I seen them was 2003 but from all the videos I watched, Cunning Stunts era was the last really good tour. Probably cos Het was on the drink:o

• Advertisement

Aideen.. wrote: »
    What he said!!
    Also, especially what he said re: MSG, thats gonna be insanely brilliant! :D
    Also, if you're in Metclub, do we get to go in earlier than others if we have will call tickets? Or is that not gonna happen for that leg? I'd check on ppm, but my membership has expired..

It's early entry again for Metclub members for this leg,all fan club tickets are will call.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

i would have been there for defo with lamb of god..
    still a maybe tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Really fecked off as I cant go now :mad: First seem them in 86 in the Ulster Hall with Cliff Burton on bass :( Seen them many times since and was looking forward to this, so if anyone wants to buy 2 tickets at face value then PM me. The saving will be not paying ticketmasters rip off fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Judging by the setlists, i beileve that we can expect one of Dyers Eve, Trapped Under Ice, or Turn The Page in Marley Park.

If we got all three, that would be the Dog's Bollocks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I'll be seriously pi$$ed if they play Dyers Eve........ cause i'm not going.:mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

I think they will either play Dyers Eve or Fight Fire with Fire after master of puppets.. I love both songs but id rather hear fight fire with fire as its Dyers Eve with no double bass just takes a lot from it in my opinion. Can't wait though, last years gig was brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭sammypsammy

Could anyone tell me wether Lamb Of God are actually playing? Me and a bunch of others are going and they keep saying that LOG have pulled out!

Totally psyched about this gig... Not really going to see Metallica (They're OK just not really my thing) but A7X, Mastodon, LOG. Oh and who could forget thin lizzy. They're awesome!

Anyway...this has probably been asked but... who is going to play whiskey in the jar?? ooh tension :p

Could anyone tell me wether Lamb Of God are actually playing? Me and a bunch of others are going and they keep saying that LOG have pulled out!

Totally psyched about this gig... Not really going to see Metallica (They're OK just not really my thing) but A7X, Mastodon, LOG. Oh and who could forget thin lizzy. They're awesome!

Anyway...this has probably been asked but... who is going to play whiskey in the jar?? ooh tension :p

Yeah Lamb of God have pulled out. so have the sword. I would have loved to have seen LOG but less time being in marlay park is a plus :D

and I hope Thin Lizzy play it, dont want it taking up a place on metallicas set.. great song and all but still.....no matter what though between every metallica song we will be hearing "WHISKEY"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

They should just play at the start of the gig to get it out of the way.

And yeah,mega pissed that LOG won't be playing,they were one of the main reasons I wanted to go.
    It's pretty ****ty that Mastodon are the first band on so they get the shortest set.

and I hope Thin Lizzy play it, dont want it taking up a place on metallicas set.. great song and all but still.....no matter what though between every metallica song we will be hearing "WHISKEY"!

Or even better would be to have Hetfield come out and sing it with Lizzy during their set and get it out of the way. He done that last year with sweet savage and done 'killing time' with them,one less cover in the Metallica set.

yeah that would be the best possible scenario, that way we are sure not to have it in metallicas set :D

At least there are other Metallica Fans with me on this one ! Its sooooo frustrating to KNOW that the third last song (Which has been a cover on every show on this tour) WILL be Whiskey. If its done early, then thats it ! I would much rather hear Overkill again, or Breadfan.

We will just have to hope thin lizzy play it haha. Im hoping for either Breadfan or the Wait as the first encore then into Hit the Lights :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Currently listening to the Metallica gig form 2006.

It's so bad...I love Metallica as much as the next fan but their singing skills have seriously dipped since they hit the road again five years ago.

Not something you'd notice too much when you watch the band live, but it really rings in your ears when you have it to listen to over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

you like them or you don't,easy as that really,seems like a matter of life and death to people sometimes!!

Wouldn't that be Iron Maiden?:D

...sorry
    /gets coat
    :o

• Advertisement

It's so bad...I love Metallica as much as the next fan but their singing skills have seriously dipped since they hit the road again five years ago.

Not something you'd notice too much when you watch the band live, but it really rings in your ears when you have it to listen to over and over again.
    I think his voice has improved greatly in the last two years, still of course no where near like it was and it never will be again but massive improvement in the last two or so years.
    i think rock am ring 08 is a great example of how its improved, should check it out :D

I think his voice has improved greatly in the last two years, still of course no where near like it was and it never will be again but massive improvement in the last two or so years.
    i think rock am ring 08 is a great example of how its improved, should check it out :D

I think Hets voice is in pretty good shape these days. The 2 weeks on 1 week off regime seems to be helping it. He can't hit the high notes anymore but given he's been singing most of his life it's no surprise,he blew his voice out recording 'so what' and it's lost that edge,never recovered.

On the 'whiskey' thing,it's gotten to be such a staple of the set here that last year they didn't even introduce it,they just launched into it mid-set like it was a regular staple of the setlist. I really hope they drop it this year,lob in 'mercyful fate medley' and i'll die happy!:D

RHRN wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be Iron Maiden?:D

...sorry
    /gets coat
    :o

Oh dear!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only found out yesterday that I am going to this.(Mate had a ticket for me and didnt tell me!).

I havent seen them live since the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire which must be over 20 years ago.:eek:

TBH, there is no comparison between the Metallica shows of 2006 and today's.

I would still maintain that their 2006 was the most disapointing of all there recent Irish shows. After The God That Failed, and The Unforgiven, there was not one suprise. Plus, with the exception of Orion, and Disposable Heroes, and Damage Inc, I had heard it all before, and I was able to predict the setlist for most of the day. The three shows I have seen since then have blown me away. Particularly the Wembley gig. Marley was superb last year, and the O2 at the end of March 2009 rocked to its core.

Also, LiveMet Downloads just dont do justice to the quality of Metallica's live show. Unless your are a phonetic wizard, it is impossible to pick up on the mistakes that are made during a concert. Plus, no band will ever sound the same live, as they do on the albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

When you're at a concert you don't really notice how the vocals sound unless they're really atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Het-Field wrote: »
    TBH, there is no comparison between the Metallica shows of 2006 and today's.
    Well they're only three years apart.
    I'm referring to the difference between now and his vocals say, around the live **** era.
    We can all agree there is a huge difference.
    I would still maintain that their 2006 was the most disapointing of all there recent Irish shows. After The God That Failed, and The Unforgiven, there was not one suprise.
    I agree.
    Knowing what was coming put a real dampener on the show for me.
    Also, I didn't bother with last years gig in Marley for the simple reason that I had had enough.
    Though I am tempted to go this year.
    Also, LiveMet Downloads just dont do justice to the quality of Metallica's live show. Unless your are a phonetic wizard, it is impossible to pick up on the mistakes that are made during a concert. Plus, no band will ever sound the same live, as they do on the albums
    I'll have to disagree with you there.
    I think the downloads are of great quality, and I think it's because of this quality that I can pick up on his vocal flaws.
    As said above, you tend not to notice these things at the gig itself, but listening to it afterwards, you can't not hear them./

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I think the downloads are of great quality, and I think it's because of this quality that I can pick up on his vocal flaws.
    As said above, you tend not to notice these things at the gig itself, but listening to it afterwards, you can't not hear them./
    Yea, the LiveMet stuff really shows every flaw (especially Lars)

I agree. Went to see them in long island,ny in january and they played phantom lord. At the end of the song hetfield wails "fall to your knees and bow to the phantom lord". At the gig it sounded great but when i downloaded the livemet recording he sounds like a banshee or something!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Can't wait for this year's concert!

Went last year for the first time with one of my buddies and it was excellent. We were stupid and thought we could just walk into a hostel on a concert weekend (The Killers were playing the next day)... We trudged around Dublin for a few hours before the concert asking about rooms and then, losing confidence in the possibility of getting a room, decided to indulge in a great Hard Roc Café burger and chips with a Guinness. After the concert, we just jumped on the first bus back to Derry... which was at 4am. Needless to say we know better now! haha

Out of interest, can anyone recommend a decent B&B or Hostel*? I've been told Jacob's Inn is pretty good. We'll probably head down the day before the concert and stay two nights.

*I notice the B@$tards put the prices up about E10 for that weekend the sly dogs!!

Advertisement