Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraiser for animal charity

Options
  • 30-05-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking alot lately about animal cruelty (you can prob tell from recent posts)

I thought I might put an idea forward to you lot to see if there would be any interest.
    On the photography forum we compiled a year book of photography in order to raise funds for the santa strike force and it worked out very well indeed.

What I am proposing is this forum do something similar possibly a calendar and any profits generated would go to a worthhile charity such as the ISPCA.

Anyone interested would submit a photo of their pet and maybe everyone votes for the top 12 or so pics to go into the calender.

Obviously I'm putting this forward now to see if there would be any interest by say the end of August as if we could get the calender (or some similar idea) ready by sept/oct to get ready for xmas sales.

If there would be sufficient interest I can get my thinking cap on and start organising it.

Would you be interested in being involved in fundraiser for animal charity? 35 votes

Yes I would be intereseted
    0% 0 votes
    I might be interested
    85% 30 votes
    I'm not interested
    14% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'll do whatever I can to help. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Im behind you 100%, ill love to do something... i think tho you should tink about raising money for some of the smaller animal charity's coz there the ones that are struggling the most, the national SPCA have alot more funds than the smaller ones, its just a thought and either way im in...

Could someone tell me how i add photos off my puter coz i cant figure it out.. tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would be but as said perhaps one of the smaller rescues, I know there are so many but the smaller ones are really struggling at the moment.

Perhaps choosing a smaller rescue in your area there's a long list of rescues on irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks to everyone who has replied and voted in the poll so far.
    As for the charity I'm open to suggestions. The proceeds of this would be open to any worthwhile animal charity in Ireland and could even be split between two if needs be.
    So open to suggestions everyone!!

I just wanted to get up and act for a change instead of whinging and moaning. If this works out there's no reason it sould not be an annual thing imo ;).

Also just to point out the majority of work needed in carrying this out would be to submit your favourite pet pic and ppl to vote for their favourite pic for each month. Anyone who wants to help beyond that i would be more than happy to discuss possible tasks as the project proceeds. But in order to get that we need ppl with pet pics first!!!!! (Please!!! :))

Thanks again to everyone so far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you're thinking of a rescue that deals with all animals so that it covers the range for everyone eg if someone is interested in helping and likes dog then that rescue would suit or if they are into cats or smallies or wildlife a rescue that takes them all in would keep everyone happy.

Highly recommed cottagerescue.ie they are currently trying to raise funds for a wildlife section there's more info on their website. They take in anything from a hedghog to dogs to cats, smallies, horses etc.

Or Limerick animal welfare who take in all sorts as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

I think this is a fantastic idea and what a better place to drum up support.
    I can't imagine too many ppl wouldn't atleast submit a favourite pet photo to be put in the calendar.

It's great timing too I must say organising this fundraiser now as it's now that the animal shelters are really suffering and barely making ends meet with the recession. It's now that they are contemplating having to turn animals away as they are finding it increasingly difficult to get funds to do the noble work they do.

I would be delighted in any way I can to help and whatever you need me to do.

I think definitly if you havn't picked a charity yourself yet if everyone interested puts a deserving shelter name forward and either you decide which one or we can make a vote on it.

I like guineapigrescues idea of a shelter which treats all animals from the smallies to the cats, dogs and horses.

***I just had a thought. If you don't get all the support you need here to proceed with this you could always crosspost in the photography forum if they would submit photos of there pets for the calendar. (as long as it wouldn't be stepping on toes for their annual year book fundraiser??? )***

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

i think its a great idea:D

Im behind you 100%, ill love to do something... i think tho you should tink about raising money for some of the smaller animal charity's coz there the ones that are struggling the most, the national SPCA have alot more funds than the smaller ones, its just a thought and either way im in...

Could someone tell me how i add photos off my puter coz i cant figure it out.. tanks

Hey just saw your question about pics:) There are two ways you can do it there should be a paper clip icon in the post toolbar when posting a message that you can upload pics directly from your computer.

The other way is to upload the pics to flicker/pix.ie. for pix.ie when you do this you can click on your recently uploaded pics and enlarge. Underneath there should be two boxes one of them is for forums. So you just copy and paste that into your post. Hope that made sense :)

+1 to guineapigrescue about the smaller charities.
    Anyone else have a charity you would like to nominate for consideration/voting?

I'm going to see how the support for this goes over the next week and then we can begin to decide exactly what charity and how the project will proceed.

Also if anyone has another suggestion of any sort for the project feel free to mention as I would like this to be a group effort and all suggestions to make this a better project in order to raise more funds for the charity are more than welcomed!!

I appreciate all the support so far and anyone who thinks they can donate a favourite pet photo that would be fantastic and really appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Thank you; I did try to copy paste by sending a photo from my kodak camera page to my yahoo mail, but it came out huge.

Trying the paperclip idea here..

There they are!!

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hey just saw your question about pics:) There are two ways you can do it there should be a paper clip icon in the post toolbar when posting a message that you can upload pics directly from your computer.

The other way is to upload the pics to flicker/pix.ie. for pix.ie when you do this you can click on your recently uploaded pics and enlarge. Underneath there should be two boxes one of them is for forums. So you just copy and paste that into your post. Hope that made sense :)

+1 to guineapigrescue about the smaller charities.
    Anyone else have a charity you would like to nominate for consideration/voting?

I'm going to see how the support for this goes over the next week and then we can begin to decide exactly what charity and how the project will proceed.

Also if anyone has another suggestion of any sort for the project feel free to mention as I would like this to be a group effort and all suggestions to make this a better project in order to raise more funds for the charity are more than welcomed!!

I appreciate all the support so far and anyone who thinks they can donate a favourite pet photo that would be fantastic and really appreciated!!!

2539500214_898f6ae8d1_o.jpg

I've a couple more similar ones on a disk back in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

One of my all time favourites!

100_5360.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'll happily submit images have photos or donkeys calves cats and dogs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

A132F1CD5EE44FBAA326947DD06E8998-500.jpg

97D648D210114EFD84C7E9953706ABD0-500.jpg

4F338A18B3ED4F99BE7D74EF2D0CCE5E-500.jpg

4D5029C0247D4C788177C4E5F8134F8A-500.jpg

0AD48BE3CB614F9C8D1AC3511316B471.jpg

Theres some sorry i didn't mean to spam the thread

If that is spam, more please!

Blessings and thanks

Thanks everyone so far I'm loving all the pics uploaded so far. That's prob the best part of a project like this :D

I just wanted to clarify copyright issues as it was pointed out to me on another forum.

The copyright of all the photos which will be inputted into the calendar will remain with the owner of the photo.

A statement to this effect will be printed on the calendar.

Ah the one i sent was not for that; just to see if I can upload:) we have much better ones than that!!
    Thanks everyone so far I'm loving all the pics uploaded so far. That's prob the best part of a project like this :D

I just wanted to clarify copyright issues as it was pointed out to me on another forum.

The copyright of all the photos which will be inputted into the calendar will remain with the owner of the photo.

A statement to this effect will be printed on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Well done on a great idea Jen... it will raise a decent amount of funds for the charity ye choose.icon14.gif

MIDS (see link below) does calendar and xmas card fundraisers too (among others like MIDS merchandise for sale, and one offs like skydiving & selling dog treats) - so I speak from experience when I say the calendar is a very successful fundraiser.
    We raised E3,000 last year with fundraisers (Combined with the monthly donations we raised close to E8,000 in total in our first year)

If there's anything I can do to help just shout missus!:)

(And of course we'll be selling our calendars and cards in November again this year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here's one of my images.

1107692415_317e6f7a82.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 d4an

Love this idea. would like to sumit these pics.

2786114899_783b70979c.jpg

2092638556_380fb35728.jpg

Thanks everyone so far :)

I'm thinking of ways with how to proceed with this now.
    If more people want to submit photos as the project goes on I think if I can find a calendar format where I can put in as many pics as possible so that everyone who submitted a pic would get one in the calendar.

If I can't find a format for what i'm thinking of the other idea would be to perhaps ask very nicely one or two ppl from the photography forum if they would judge the photos and the best 12 or so go into the calendar.

I think it would be nice if people didn't know exactly what pics go into the calendar as there would be more curiosity to buy them then ie more funds for the charity ;)

What do ye guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 harryR

great idea this :D

heres my fella

SL272185-2.jpg

SL272881.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I think it would be nice if people didn't know exactly what pics go into the calendar as there would be more curiosity to buy them then ie more funds for the charity ;)
    I like your thinking!!:)

For a couple of months, you might like a collage of small images.
    Ie, a cat one and a dog one for two months..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

I like that idea.
    I have a calender here with lots of different pics for every month.

I like that Idea Zaraba. I think that everyone who goes to the bother of submitting a pic should have it put in somwhere.
    I'm going to take a look at formats we can use later as I'm sure there are several online programmes that allow you to put in a few pics in the one page.

I have software that I can make one myself but I think an online programme where ppl can individually buy them and get them delivered will probably be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Great idea...any help needed just shout (or pm..whatever :) )

Maybe you could request a temporary sub forum here and have 12 threads in it...one for each month. Or you could have 4 threads..one for each season. People could submit photos into appropiate months/seasons.

I hate to cast a downer on this but I've been involved in the whole charity calander route before and for some reason it is a hard one to sell. You have a very limited time frame to really push it. But on the super huge plus side you have Boards behind you!!

I think you (or one of us you choose to help you) should set up a Twitter and run it from around Sept and build a buzz around the calander and in the choosen charity.

I think this will be fun...can't wait to see more pics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Great idea, ill do anything I can to help. Supporting a smaller charity is a great idea, especially ones that dont receive any goverment funding! Sorry for all the photos but wanted to make sure everyone got a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I wisah she'd come bloody well home :(

Hi giddybootz :)
    Maybe you could request a temporary sub forum here and have 12 threads in it...one for each month. Or you could have 4 threads..one for each season. People could submit photos into appropiate months/seasons.

I think what we may end up doing here to keep curiosity about what photos people have submitted is to make a deadline for say end of July where people can get snapping and submit 1 favourite pet pic each. to ensure everyone who submits a pic can get a pic in the calendar.

I will provide an email address later on to where these photos can be submitted to be uploaded in the calendar.
    I know this worked a treat in getting ppl to buy the photography album last year ;)

If anyone has problems choosing which is the best or trying to pick out of all your pets :) I woul suggest showing the pic on the photography forum and ask the guys over there what they think. I'm sure they would be more than happy to give c&c and help choose:)

(would everyone be okay with this idea? )
    I hate to cast a downer on this but I've been involved in the whole charity calander route before and for some reason it is a hard one to sell. You have a very limited time frame to really push it. But on the super huge plus side you have Boards behind you!!
    I'm hoping to bulk buy a few myself and put them in vets/doctors waiting rooms and some other places I'll think of between now and then ;)
    I definitly agree though that it prob wont be as easy as I'm hoping but surely with this being a smart forum we can think of some promotional ideas when the time come :D:D
    I think you (or one of us you choose to help you) should set up a Twitter and run it from around Sept and build a buzz around the calander and in the choosen charity.

Excellent idea!! Any takers for this job?

Kazza the second pic of the kitten in the box made me laugh. I loved it !
    I wisah she'd come bloody well home
    kablamo is your cat missing? How long?

Thanks everyone and keep posting up pics they are fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Sheba eyeing up the lens.....

DSCN1434.jpg

Advertisement