Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corsa not starting

• 30-05-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Anyone shed any light on this?
    97 Corsa 1L

Wont start first time, The electrics run fine so its not the battery
    It sounds like its coughing and you almost have to put the accelarator to the bottom to get it moving. Could take 5 or 10 minutes to get it going sometimes. Been like this for a few days.

The thermometer in the car gives wrong readings (im not sure if thats related)

I should note it runs perfect once its started

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

It sounds like the head gasket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

crud, sounds expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

ya it can be unless u no some1 that can do it cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't think it's the head gasket.

check your oil cap there just to see, if it has a mayo type substance on the cap the head may be gone.
    or just check the dipstick, if the oil is milky then same.

also: on this version corsa it's actually cheaper to replace the entire engine rather than do the head gasket!

fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Getting wrong readings is never a good sign.

Could be a sensor maybe, preventing it rom starting.

If you can get it to a garage, diagnostic and then hopefully

just a sensor replacement job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Anyone shed any light on this?
    97 Corsa 1L

Wont start first time, The electrics run fine so its not the battery
    It sounds like its coughing and you almost have to put the accelarator to the bottom to get it moving. Could take 5 or 10 minutes to get it going sometimes. Been like this for a few days.

The thermometer in the car gives wrong readings (im not sure if thats related)

I should note it runs perfect once its started

what is the gauge reading?? is it reading higher? if so then the ecu may not be turning on the cold start system, a new temp sender may sort it but defo get someone to have a look at it for you, because the starter wont last long!!!!

Hey guys, The car died on me on the naas road the other day on the ay to the garage.(apologies if you got stuck behind me).

I called the AA and the AA guy reckoned it was an alternator problem. He brings the car to the garage who ring me to say they haven't a clue whats wrong (the alternator was ok) and that I should bring it to an Opel garage,

I somehow manage to get it to the Opel garage and he hooks it up to some machine. Tells me its a crank sensor problem and replaces it.

Two days later... and it's still the same. The car shudders when starting but cuts itself out.

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

have a look at the pollen filter, see if its manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

have a look at the pollen filter, see if its manky.

Your mean the air filter? It's not the OP who's spluttering ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement