Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthy Snacks

• 30-05-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all was just looking for help as to what would be a healthy snacks to have around the house, i dont eat meals as such just snacks when hungry ie trying to get the 6 small meals in a day,

What could i have in my press that is not full of cals or sugar, i have all the fruit covered, just looking for something thats not complicated and fast to cook if needed,

Thanks and sorry if this has being covered already, id imagine it would of

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Natural yogurt (just plain, not low fat and no sugar or other additions)

Cottage cheese, excellent source of protein, low carb, low fat.

Tinned tuna or salmon. Open tin, healthy snack.

Bags of washed spinach or salad. Nibble in front of the tv, or add to the tinned fish for a good meal.

Raw nuts, especially almonds. Also pecans, brazil, hazelnuts, cashew, pistashio, walnut.

Mixed seeds.

Celery sticks stuffed with homous or tahini or peanut butter.

Sugar-free jelly.

Vegetable soup, heat and eat with a couple of Ryvita.

Cold chicken or meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

Thanks for yor reply eileen and i really appricate it but could see myself eating seeds or celeary sticks, i looking to loose about a stone maybe some more, i do pleanty of training and doin my first compition soon,

Is there anything else thats "normal" that is low fat cal and everything else, all i seem to be eating latly is eggs boiled scranbled or omletts but that wont continue for ever,

Also im not into preparing dishes, kinda eat on the go most of the time,

I know im not half fussy am i !! thanks for your reply eileeng i do appricate it but im just not a full blown dieter yet!!

All I can think of is variations on cottage cheese then. Seriously, if you want results, you have to pay some attention to your diet. You can't live eating on the run and expect the best results. Why not spend an hour or two once a week making stuff for the freezer? Then you can thaw and reheat as necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

- Raisins (get the mini snack-size boxes for ease of carrying)
    - Bags of mixed fruit/nuts (just watch how much you eat, a handful should be enough to fill a hole)
    - Rice cakes (get the chocolate ones if you fance a sweet treat)
    - Diet bars eg 'Go Ahead' etc (better than a bar of chocolate just don't eat too many)
    - Cherry tomatoes
    - Ryvita & low fat soft cheese (the one with chives is yummy)

These are all great snacks, but Eileeng is right, you won't get good results without putting some effort into your meals. The 6-meals-a-day thing is great if you can do it properly. If you can't, then don't. It's very easy to either have 6 normal-sized meals a day and wonder why you're not losing weight, or to just pick at snacks all day instead of eating proper food.

I have never gotten on well with this kind of eating plan so would have 3 normal meals, plus 3 snacks a day, and have had good results so far. It's all about finding what works for you, not following a regime that's a struggle and you can't stick to.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Personally I would stay away from these so called "diet bars", they tend to replace fat with sugar and that leads to you craving more food.

Personally I would find fish pate lovely as a light snack but I do not think that is easy to get over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Serafijn wrote: »
    - Diet bars eg 'Go Ahead' etc (better than a bar of chocolate just don't eat too many)

Those things are absolute dirt.

Much better off with a good quality high cacao content bar or even a mug of hot chocolate.

Diet bars are a giant con. Full of sugar and processed junk, and very high cal for the amount of food you get in them.

Rice cakes are not great either. They may taste like polystyerene, but they are very high gi and will spike your insulin. Fine just after a workout, not good the rest of the time.

Ryvita is a good option, higher fibre and lower cal than bread. Those Tuna with a Twist pouches are very handy for spreading on them, or eating with a quick salad.

Tesco does a Virtually Fat free fromage fraise which is pretty good, low cal, reasonable protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

Im eating alot of eggs latly, i do plenty of training sonot a full blown dieter yet!! ran 6 mile last nite and cycle tonight, so i am doint my training,

Really want to just clean up my diet, i take a protien shake after work outs and a recovery shake which to be honest tales away the want for a dinner or meal,

I like eileen idea of freezing a few meals for the week, will have to look into that, also have to go to tesco and try find all thease things of which half ive never heard of before!!

ryvita with nutella is a new one i found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kittensneeze

recharge wrote: »
    Hi all was just looking for help as to what would be a healthy snacks to have around the house, i dont eat meals as such just snacks when hungry ie trying to get the 6 small meals in a day,

What could i have in my press that is not full of cals or sugar, i have all the fruit covered, just looking for something thats not complicated and fast to cook if needed,

I think the health stores have the best options for this. Things like ready made falafal are filling and can be eaten hot or cold. Theres all kinds of nice snacks in these stores nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the health stores have the best options for this. Things like ready made falafal are filling and can be eaten hot or cold. Theres all kinds of nice snacks in these stores nowadays.
    Just read all the labels, even health stores have junk food in them, just like those "diet bars", which can have less nutritional value and higher cals per 100g than regular bars. I would sooner eat a bounty or bar high in peanuts before some of those "health bars".
    ryvita with nutella is a new one i found!
    Nutella is just another confectionery product, nuts & sugar mixed up, unsalted peanut butter would be better, ~€6.50 for a kilo in holland & barret.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

Those things are absolute dirt.

Much better off with a good quality high cacao content bar or even a mug of hot chocolate.

hot chocolate with milk is that ok? i am soo tempted by the galaxy aero etc. hot
    choc drinks.:(

Make your own with cocoa powder. Cheaper and you can limit the sugar. Mix a spoonful of cocoa powder with sugar/sweetener and a small amount of cold milk. Mix to a smooth paste. Pour a mug of hot milk on top and mix. Tastes wonderful and you can make it exactly the way you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

EileenG wrote: »
    Make your own with cocoa powder. Cheaper and you can limit the sugar. Mix a spoonful of cocoa powder with sugar/sweetener and a small amount of cold milk. Mix to a smooth paste. Pour a mug of hot milk on top and mix. Tastes wonderful and you can make it exactly the way you want.

might give that a go, but that aero and galaxy chocolate drink in tescos are going to be got:p ,nearly lost a stone in 2 months, diet it good , training good, so once i hit 11 stone hopefully by early july i am going to treat myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 toronto80

Would a few ryvitas and peanut butter be a healthy enough snack before bed?

Yes, that would be a good time for a slow digesting snack like that. Don't add honey.

Advertisement