Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E3 2009

• 30-05-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

So e3 2009 is underway. Not much coverage XBOX wise so far but Monday is Microsoft's principle conference so we shall wait and see.

http://e3.ign.com/

Anybody have any predictions? TBH I'm more curious about the Sony side of things, if we get a PS3 price drop and a release date for God Of War 3 I may find myself spending very little time playing the XBOX near the end of the year...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The one thing lacking from the Xbox 360 is innovation and it's lagging behind the other 2 in that department. I think within 12 months it will be dead in the water and they'll probably announce their next console to be released by 2011. I've been hearing stories of this new controller. It's a bit late for that tbh and they'd be better of pumping the R&D money for that into a fully functional successor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I somehow severely doubt that. It's still selling very well and will continue to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think we will see a new xbox in a few years. Lack of Blu Ray technology is seriously handicapping MS at the moment.

They made an awful amount mistakes with the 360, rrod etc

I expect something random like being allowed to by 360 games in the marketplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I somehow severely doubt that. It's still selling very well and will continue to sell.

I think it's selling well atm but it's reached it's peak imo. The PS3 still has a bit to go to get the most out of it and with every film going on Blu-Ray it's a distinct advantage as a home media centre. It wouldn't surprise me if they announced a new console at next year's E3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

creggy wrote: »
    I think we will see a new xbox in a few years. Lack of Blu Ray technology is seriously handicapping MS at the moment.
    Howso? Purely from the movie standpoint?
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I think it's selling well atm but it's reached it's peak imo. The PS3 still has a bit to go to get the most out of it and with every film going on Blu-Ray it's a distinct advantage as a home media centre. It wouldn't surprise me if they announced a new console at next year's E3.

People were saying earlier in the year that they wouldn't be surprised to see a new XBox announced at E3 this year, now that it's started and there's been no leak of a hint of that happening all those people are revising their theory for it to be next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Not movies really, does help though but, more how more info you put on a blu ray. MGS4 was the first game to fill a whole blu ray and graphics in that game were absolute sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

creggy wrote: »
    Not movies really, does help though but, more how more info you put on a blu ray. MGS4 was the first game to fill a whole blu ray and graphics in that game were absolute sex.
    It filled it more with uncompressed audio then anything i think

It filled it more with uncompressed audio then anything i think

That would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Ms big announcement seems to be this motion capture camera dealy, sort of a 360 Eye Toy. Little disappointing TBH. I shall wait until Monday before I pass full judgement though. hopefully there won't be a Gears 3 announcement though, it's way too soon and if it's on the way already could only be disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kinetic^ wrote: »

We'll see a new PS3 at the same time as well but it's not going to be next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

niallon wrote: »
    Ms big announcement seems to be this motion capture camera dealy, sort of a 360 Eye Toy. Little disappointing TBH. I shall wait until Monday before I pass full judgement though. hopefully there won't be a Gears 3 announcement though, it's way too soon and if it's on the way already could only be disappointing.

From the microsoft/IGN page:
    Newly acquired BigPark will unveil its first game. Halo 3: ODST will be on display and Epic will likely show off the latest Gears of War2 add-on

Sounds like they'll be milking Gears 2 for a while more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

whats a good site for a press conference live stream? IGN seems to be overloaded?

Edit: ..working ..all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ign is working fine for me. I is using insider HD too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So so far we have Rock Band: The Beatles, Left 4 Dead 2 and Crackdown 2 exclusive for 360 and Splinter Cell 5 for Autumn. Plus FFXIII early next year.

Sounds awesome...Forza 3 is up now.

Lol at Forza 3. They're really cashing in on the fact that GT5 isn't out yet. "Forza 3 has the best graphics and physics".

W00T, we're getting last.fm on the 360 for free! (gold members)

1080p videos :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Alan Wake Spring 2010...LastFM coming to Live for no additional charge...still not a lot to get excited about...

Facebook :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Already I want:

Lego Harry Potter
    Monkey Island
    PSP GO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Some Metal Gear Solid game now by the looks of things.
    Edit: Metal Gear Solid Rising, but no Snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

New mgs for xbox. I never need speak of PS3 again :P

• Advertisement

Anoyne else think this natal thing is gonna be like the e3 2005 ps3 graphics? about 30% bull****?

They seem to want to replace the controller. Anyone else prefer using the controller rather than jumping around your living room? Gamers enjoy sitting on their asses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Anoyne else think this natal thing is gonna be like the e3 2005 ps3 graphics? about 30% bull****?

They seem to want to replace the controller. Anyone else prefer using the controller rather than jumping around your living room? Gamers enjoy sitting on their asses :(

No i think it just really widens the apeal of the xbox ( if it works) . Anyone else think this is a bit all Terminator-esque . That interactive child and all his friends are going to take over the world:eek:

That 30% figure is about 60% bull**** in itself. :P Don't think they're going to get much more out of the 360 graphically, and I doubt there's much more to come out of the PS3 either.

I prefer sitting around, in fact only having three buttons like on the Mega Drive suited me even better. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Well that was a brillaint show from Microsoft, quite excited for a lot of stuff coming on 360.

Beatles Rock Band exclusive content, Halo: Reach, ODST is looking very nice, Alan Wake looked brilliant cannot wait for that, The Natal thing looked pretty cool and I couldn't think of anyone who would utilise it as well as Peter Molyneux could! It did have a very Wii-vibe to it though, but if developers like Lionhead utilise it, then it could turn out to be very cool indeed.

Of course the biggest news is MGS Rising, really looking forward to hearing more details about that. Will be interested to see if it turns up at the Sony presser or not, couldn't really ascertain if it was exclusive to 360 or not. Either way finally have Metal Gear on the 360, it's a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I thought it was better than Last years presser.

Main Highlights For me.

MW2 looks outstanding
    Alan Wake Footage and Release Date..(Looked Amazing)
    Same with Splinter Cell Conviction
    Crackdown 2 Announcement
    MGS multi platform now (First FFXIII and now this, Sony has to be pissed)
    Facebook, Twitter, Last FM
    Project Natal looked great but its too early to tell for real.

Disappointed.
    No Mass Effect 2 footage shown makes me think its multi platform.
    That Forza guy yapping on about Definitive Experiences every few seconds
    Beatles Rock Band looks amazing but went on far too long

How does Forza 3 look? And any date given for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Games on Demand looks good... Depending on pricing tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

amacachi wrote: »
    How does Forza 3 look? And any date given for it?

Looks decent yeh but not much WOW over Forza 2, kinda like what Gears 1 and 2 was when you first seen it, out in Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Highlights:

1.Modern Warfare 2 looks ace, same epic feel to it with awesome graphics (particle effects etc).
    2.Alan Wake looks really interesting too. Seems genuinely different, definitely one to keep tabs on.
    3.Natal has the potential to be absolutely amazing.
    4. Full HD movies on demand without any download sounds too good to be true (assuming its available to Ireland ofc!).
    5. Other improvements to the Live Experience (last fm et al).

Disappointments:

1. Rockband Beatles - I'm sorry but 15 mins hyping this seems misguided to me. I will stand corrected if sales figures show me otherwise.
    2. Forza 3 felt like a letdown to be honest. For a game slated for a November (?) release there was a slight lack of gameplay shown.

Overall, a pretty impressive conference from M$, cant wait for the rest of E3 now. ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone else think that Alan Wake is Ms's reply to Heavy Rain?

Or is it multi... hmm..

Advertisement