Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E3 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

Are Splinter Cell and Alan Wake exclusive or multi platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Any links to videos of e3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The one thing lacking from the Xbox 360 is innovation and it's lagging behind the other 2 in that department. I think within 12 months it will be dead in the water and they'll probably announce their next console to be released by 2011. I've been hearing stories of this new controller. It's a bit late for that tbh and they'd be better of pumping the R&D money for that into a fully functional successor.

Sorry I know I'm late to this party but get the f**king boat!
    The world is in financial ruins, we won't see a new generation of consoles for a long time yet. 360 sales have been booming over the past year, little bit longer actually.

Speaking of innovation; achievements. The best thing to happen to gaming. Shazam.

I don't mean to deter the conversation, just wanted to throw my two cents in there.

Sorry I know I'm late to this party but get the f**king boat!
    The world is in financial ruins, we won't see a new generation of consoles for a long time yet. 360 sales have been booming over the past year, little bit longer actually.

Speaking of innovation; achievements. The best thing to happen to gaming. Shazam.

I don't mean to deter the conversation, just wanted to throw my two cents in there.

Xbox 360 sales have not been booming, they have for the most part of the last year been around the same as PlayStation 3 sales. Certainly nothing compared to the wii's sales. Achievements an innovation? Games on pc had achievements long before the 360 came out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They may get a bit more out a game for some people but if you really think theyre the best think to every happen to gaming youve been drinking achivement whore coolade cause thats absolute nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Re achievements, they are the reason I choose to buy the Xbox360 version of a game over a PS3 is the achievements and the online.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Re achievements, they are the reason I choose to buy the Xbox360 version of a game over a PS3 is the achievements and the online.
    Their an incentive, im not denying that. Theyre not the "best thing to happen to gaming" though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I love the way they are turning the 360 into an almost HTPC device. The Sky on demand feature is a nice addition, along with Last.fm(although I still think we won't get it), Twitter and Facebook. The InstantOn service makes up for the lack of a Blu Ray drive for me as long as the films are priced right. MS did say you would need at least an 8GB Broadband speed to get "instant" films so that doesn't sound good for us. I'm happy with what MS delivered. I want my 360 to be as much as a media device as a game console and I think MS did a good job with that, especially by giving us Irish an exclusive feature, Sky TV.
    Also, it's nice to see we are getting more for our Live Subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Are Splinter Cell and Alan Wake exclusive or multi platform?

Both exclusives.

Modern Warfare 2 will also see two map packs released on the 360 before any other platform.

Going to be interesting to see how they do the 1080p movies instant on demand.

Full game downloads (not new releases) could be a great move if the price is right. If they are cheaper than the second hand ones in stores it might force the likes of Game and Gamestop into losing the ridiculous prices they have for some second hand games. Also a credit card payment option will be offered for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What???!!! 2 map packs???!! Sony ffs use your wallet! That might be enough for me to get MW2 on the 360, damn sony and their successful campaigns..

• Advertisement

Better qualify exactly what I meant:

"Booming 360 sales": As in sales of the 360 have been doing well compared to previous years of 360 sales. Microsoft now have a large group of people to impress and prove that the 360 was worth their money. Releasing a new xbox will do the opposite of that.
    Yes the Wii is whooping the ps3 and 360, probably combined, in sales - I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that the 360 is starting to do really well and has a good future.

"Games on pc had achievements before the 360": I did not know that. Well done to the pc.

Who else did I indirectly piss off...

"achivement whore coolade": Well if thats what its called then yum yum.
    I could justify this but fear the potential backlash. Maybe I went too far with "the best thing to happen to gaming," your right that title belongs to "gears of war." I'll just say that I was first introduced to achievements when I got my 360 (6ish months ago) and have been pleasantly impressed ever since. Glub glub.

"achivement whore coolade": Well if thats what its called then yum yum.
    I could justify this but fear the potential backlash. Maybe I went too far with "the best thing to happen to gaming," your right that title belongs to "gears of war." I'll just say that I was first introduced to achievements when I got my 360 (6ish months ago) and have been pleasantly impressed ever since. Glub glub.
    Oh for the love of christ:rolleyes:
    You really need to play more

That motion camera project(game?) looks interesting, if not strangely familiar to Sony's Eye Pet. I presume the COD maps will only have a few weeks difference in release date, just like COD4 (there was a 3 week difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 map pack being released). As for the full HD video on demand service, surely you would need at least a 10mb connection without having a whole load of buffering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Anyone else think that Alan Wake is Ms's reply to Heavy Rain?

Or is it multi... hmm..

Are you new to computer games? :)

Alan Wake was announced in 2005 WolfForager... Many thought it was vaporware but Remedy produced the goods.

Heavy Rain was announced in 2006 @ E3 iirc so Alan Wake is not a response.

They are completely different games aswell from seeing both of them in action.

Oh for the love of christ:rolleyes:
    You really need to play more

Don't take it personally man.
    Just got a 360, so obviously there a stack load of stuff i haven't played.
    Be constructive; recommend me something.:cool:

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Are you new to computer games? :)

Alan Wake was announced in 2005 WolfForager... Many thought it was vaporware but Remedy produced the goods.

Heavy Rain was announced in 2006 @ E3 iirc so Alan Wake is not a response.

They are completely different games aswell from seeing both of them in action.

Playing games since 1997, only started following this sort of stuff last year :P

Don't take it personally man.
    Just got a 360, so obviously there a stack load of stuff i haven't played.
    Be constructive; recommend me something.:cool:
    I wasnt talking about the 360, im talking about in general :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Metal Gear Solid Rising - full of win. The new tagline is "Lightning Bolt Action", suggesting a new direction for the series.

Also, FFXIII is gonna be out Spring 2010 in the US. So we'll probably get it later in the year.

I wasnt talking about the 360, im talking about in general :p

Fair point.
    Theres a load of games I would love to play but can't get access to the hardware. Actually screw the hardware, getting time is hard enough! haha. I'm sure everyone here is the same. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Full retail games on demand will be pretty cool, as long as you can get new games on release day!

A good reason to buy an overpriced HD! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They need to stop development on that Mylo thing, until they turn it into some cute or maybe even not so cute creature instead, at least. Coming home from work and talking to a pretend young boy, get the f*** out of here.

Grayditch wrote: »
    They need to stop development on that Mylo thing, until they turn it into some cute or maybe even not so cute creature instead, at least. Coming home from work and talking to a pretend young boy, get the f*** out of here.

Imagine the scene...

A business executive arrives home from work. Says hello to his wife and daughter. Enters the living room, turns on his xbox and 72" OLED tv. Turns on Mylo and begins to treat him as the son he never had...

All the while his actual son Timmy is watching from outside in his treehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Mr. K wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid Rising - full of win. The new tagline is "Lightning Bolt Action", suggesting a new direction for the series.

Also, FFXIII is gonna be out Spring 2010 in the US. So we'll probably get it later in the year.

Yeah could this be a move away from the more tactical side of things? Could be interesting to see what direction this game will take.

Also loved how they changed "jump in" to "sneak in", smacks of Kojima humour :D

Oh and this mylo thing, the future is going to be a scary place... kids could have virtual girlfriends that live in their 360, I shudder to think how interactive things could get :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If that Mylo thing turned subtley sinister over long periods of time, it would be the best thing ever, that or release a Flight Of The Navigator 'eye' skin for it.

On a positive note, Splinter Cell and Alan Wake look good. Glad to hear about Crackdown and Left 4 Dead sequels. Last Fm idea is good, but Facebook and Twitter would be two realms I would like to keep seperate from my gaming time to be honest.

The motion paint thing looked like the worst thing ever, as well as that the timing looked way out of sync. I felt embarressed for Microsoft when those two girls were exchanging fashion tips and dressing up.

Not a bad conference. I hope Sony's host isn't as much of an absolute pleb, or have a famous film maker come out and speak, on end, about absolutley nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Alan wake looks incredible. Day one purchase for me. Pity its a year away from release but what are ye gonna do? New splinter cell looks decent, although not quite as impressive.

The Sky tv thing is a great idea and I'm glad that its not just the americans who get all the cool stuff like netflix.

The motion controller is typical microsoft / sony thinking of late. Neat idea, great in theory but not practical in the slightest.

Its going to be expensive to produce and sell for one. Secondly, it's going to be expensive to program for giving it a limited line up of games as its more cost effective to make regular games.

Thirdly, items like these are only as good as the software created for them. The paint thing was garbage to be honest. Lionhead's Milo sim was very, very impressive but there are serious limitations to it. Ultimately its all scripted so eventually he is going to start repeating himself and break the immersion......like when you hear the bad guy you shoot, yell the same thing over and over. The voice and facial recognition is also very impressive but I'm wondering how well it will work in a real world environment.

Overall though, I was very impressed with microsofts conference. Not a chance nintendo or sony will better it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I hope none of you guys wasted your time watching the ubisoft press conference like I did.
    It was crap.

All they had was a load of kids games, gamesplay from splinter cell conviction that had been seen before in the Microsoft press conference;
    a trailer for ruse which is the same one that has been on the web for months; James Cameron talking about Avator but not even one piece of footage of the game and a trailer for Assassins creed 2 with zero gameplay.

They played a silly raving rabbids game for far too long and had some other kids games and another wii fitness game using a camera this time.
    Very bad indeed.

The microsoft press conference was good though at least.
    Though I was hoping to be able to play as Snake in the new metal gear solid game but could still be good I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I hope none of you guys wasted your time watching the ubisoft press conference like I did.
    It was crap.

Knew it would be....why I did'nt bother. Only the big three are worth watching....and even then sometimes I turn em off and come back later like last years Nintendo one. Cammie whatsherface is quite possibly the worst demo lead / orator on the face of the planet. I'm not sure I'll be able to sit through her garbage this year either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I've looking forward to alan wake for ages, but ill only belive it when i have a copy in my hand :D

Metal Gear will have Raiden in it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Pretty dissapointing to be honest that camera thingy looks stupid, I really hate what the Wii is doing to the console market how much money have microsoft wasted making this thing, people will buy it have a laugh at its novelty factor for a day or two then it will sit there beside the wii gathering dust.

That money could have been used to make new and exciting technoligy not to remake the eye toy, Sony and microsofts facination with catching the Wii market means we will suffer. Look at six axis pointless and crow bared into games, Xbox's new avatars are little Mii's.

Now more jumping around the living room in front of the TV is not what i want i want cutting edge games i can sit down and play for hours. Not more pointless novelty add ons, and no one seems to have noticed the Wii controllers just dont work :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Xbox 360 sales have not been booming, they have for the most part of the last year been around the same as PlayStation 3 sales. Certainly nothing compared to the wii's sales. Achievements an innovation? Games on pc had achievements long before the 360 came out...

Actually, if you mean worldwide sales, PS3 is doing a lot better. In most territories the 360 and PS3 are tying on sales, but in Japan, PS3 isn't only kicking the 360s ass, but also the Wii's (in Japan). Thats because the PS originated from Japan, so its the most popular.

Bye 360, it seems as though it is slowly withering away. Its not as though M$ can't afford another console.

Advertisement