Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E3 2009

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Alan Wake game play http://www.n4g.com/News-337647.aspx

Seems more silent hill than anything i guess, after 4 years of developement i lost all hope for it, was looking forward to it but after seeing the game play just looks like a run of the mill survilal horror with a really annoying voice over naritive durring game play :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Xbox 360 sales have not been booming, they have for the most part of the last year been around the same as PlayStation 3 sales. Certainly nothing compared to the wii's sales. Achievements an innovation? Games on pc had achievements long before the 360 came out...

I'm not sure of European numbers, but they are totally outselling PS3 in North America:

April:
    * Wii - 340,000
    * Xbox 360 - 175,000
    * PS3 - 127,000

March:
    Xbox 360 was the only game console to show year-over-year growth in the US
    "Retail sales of Xbox 360 systems hit 330,000 units in March, climbing 25 percent from a year earlier, in contrast to double-digit declines posted by Wii and PlayStation 3. March was the sixth month in a row that Xbox 360 has seen year-over-year sales growth."

Source
    While both Nintendo and Sony saw hardware sales slide for the month compared to March 2008, Microsoft's sales were up, bucking the trend. Which has the company feeling, well, pleased.

360 sales were up 25% over the same time last year, with 330,000 sold in the US

Source

PlayStation 3 218K
    Xbox 360 330K
    Wii 601K

February:

Wii: 335k
    Xbox 360: 228k
    PlayStation 3: 127k

January:
    PlayStation 3 203.2K
    Xbox 360 309K
    Wii 679.2K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Can we not turn this thread into a dick measuring competition the sales figures will constantly change they mean very little other than purchasing trends, the Wii outsells both PS3 and xbox that doesnt mean its better now does it.

The xbox will be around for a while yet, neither machine is near its full potential and when it comes down to it both machines are practicallly the same thing when it comes to playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can we not turn this thread into a dick measuring competition the sales figures will constantly change they mean very little other than purchasing trends, the Wii outsells both PS3 and xbox that doesnt mean its better now does it.

The xbox will be around for a while yet, neither machine is near its full potential and when it comes down to it both machines are practicallly the same thing when it comes to playing games.
    Sense on the interwebs:eek:!!!!
    Kill it!Burn it! Send it to hell!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Sense on the interwebs:eek:!!!!
    Kill it!Burn it! Send it to hell!!!!!

I dont know what came over me must be the heat getting to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I would say he was just defending my earlier point and backing it up.
    No one has said that they think one machine is better than the other.
    Anyhow what I was originally trying to say anyway was;

So yeah I agree.
    Everythings coming up Millhouse for everyone.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Anything about Fifa 10 yet or PES 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

CyberWaste wrote: »

Nada, Its America afterall..

Pele was at the Ubisoft presser announcing some Footballish/Harry Potter Rip Off game. Looked brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thoughs on this , MS really are talking all of nintendo's ideas :D
    Tony Hawk Ride comes with its own skateboard controller, similar to the Wii Balance board,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Wonder if FIFA10 will have Ultimate team included, or if not, at least available on release?

Doubtful that it would be included, seeing as they made 1.3 million x €10 for it last time. At very least, hopefully when it is released it won't keel over and die for the first month like it did last time and they don't increase the price. I wouldn't be surprised if either, or both happened.

Only a passing mention of how successful Ultimate team was during EA's last night. Mostly focussed on this franchise NCAA thing. It is America after all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

+1, can't we all just get along ..and laugh at those who bought a Wii?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Not to bring the PS3 rivalry back into swing but:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/989/989557p1.html

*INSERT DIABOLICAL EVIL LAUGH HERE* I don't have to buy a PS3 for another year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Looks interesting alright especially where the guy were able to scan in his skateboard and have it come up on-screen. But how fast can it scan? Is the video reliable.
    Can you imagine Modern Warfare 2 if you have to use this? You'd be fcuked from the running..god help the bunnyhoppers or dolphin divers :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_txF7iETX0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The one thing lacking from the Xbox 360 is innovation and it's lagging behind the other 2 in that department. I think within 12 months it will be dead in the water and they'll probably announce their next console to be released by 2011. I've been hearing stories of this new controller. It's a bit late for that tbh and they'd be better of pumping the R&D money for that into a fully functional successor.

care to reconsider your opinion. im not trying to be a fanboy but microsoft was the only company trying to mix things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Niska

IGN have a FIFA hands-on:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989290p1.html

And there's a PES 10 trailer:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211115/pro-evolution-soccer-2010-trailer-impressions

I think the Konami E3 conference is today (3rd), so maybe more PES info then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

vflhp wrote: »
    Bye 360, it seems as though it is slowly withering away. Its not as though M$ can't afford another console.

Great stuff there, slowly withering away eh, and the use of a dollar sign for MS - genius.

And weren't you looking to set up a videogame blog recently?
    Sony Defense Force much.....?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

vflhp wrote: »
    Actually, if you mean worldwide sales, PS3 is doing a lot better. In most territories the 360 and PS3 are tying on sales, but in Japan, PS3 isn't only kicking the 360s ass, but also the Wii's (in Japan). Thats because the PS originated from Japan, so its the most popular.

Bye 360, it seems as though it is slowly withering away. Its not as though M$ can't afford another console.

Japan is a tiny market and the Wii consistently out performs it in sales there. It was outsold last month but the charts will return to the norm soon since it was only because of some popular anime tie in released on the system. In other territories it's close but MS are definitely in the lead in terms of sales.

MS are far from in trouble, the 360 is selling really well but more importantly they have an excellent ratio of games bought per system almost 8:1 which is where the money is and that Sony and Nintendo can't boast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm not sure of European numbers, but they are totally outselling PS3 in North America:

As long as the Xbox is considerably cheaper than the PS3 MS have nothing to fear. The longer it stays that way the harder it will be for Sony to gain any marketshare. Aside from hardcore gamers, most households dont bother with getting 2 consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

My god I didnt think there were fanboys on boards. Seriously what age are some of you? If the ones "saying the 360 is about to die a death" or vice a versa are over 16 then thats pretty embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Boards.ie has MORE than it's fair share of fanboys, it's really sad, some of them hide it better. But for sure, as you said, "Bye 360"? What console market is he looking at, not the one in the real world... clearly.

FWIW, I thought the Sony and MS conferences were a tie, wasn't very impressed by Ninty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No fanboys on Boards.ie, you're having a laugh! This is where the internet breeds them. Then we send them off to troll magical places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Square have announced the potential for FFXIV to come to the 360. Not suprised at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its an MMO.....which is about subscription......which is about user base. They would be bat**** crazy to make it exclusive. It wouldnt sell well enough to be cost effective. Besides, the novelty of final fantasy on the 360 will hook in people not originally fans and also the one that have missed out on the last few.

Definately gonna be multi platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Surely people who are excited about FFXIV will want it to come to 360 as well, so that there will be more people to play with? The more the merrier and all that. Would this make FFXIV the first cross platform (PS3 and 360) online game? The release schedule will probably look a bit like that of FFXI, which released on PS2 first in Japan, PC very soon afterwards and then the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

man some of the stuff is deadly, especially the sky and last.fm hopefully you can listen while playing. facebook and twitter on the box is deadly

aces to MGS comin to sexbox, and i cant wait to fail my college exams again because of MW2.

they seemed to spend an awfully long time on forzas car design system, bit of a minor detail to be stretching like that eh? looks good though nonetheless

im not sure about natal, i really hope they dont try to completely get rid of the controller, i like playing games with it, the only reason id use the motion sensor would be for fighting games, id honestly hate to drive a car in a game with my hands in the air(thats almost less realistic than holding a controller aint it?). Even then id like some pads you could put on your hands or something that vibrate when you hit something, it ads to gamplay immensely. But natal i reckon is just to give xbox some advantage over the wii, you know, appeal to the younger audiences and families, but i hope to god they dont put all ther money in it, and leave us older folks with nothing to play, which obviously wont happen, but i do slightly fear it.

cest moi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GothPunk wrote: »
    Surely people who are excited about FFXIV will want it to come to 360 as well, so that there will be more people to play with? The more the merrier and all that. Would this make FFXIV the first cross platform (PS3 and 360) online game? The release schedule will probably look a bit like that of FFXI, which released on PS2 first in Japan, PC very soon afterwards and then the 360.

People have WoW to play. I doubt many people are excited about this other than the small hardcore FFXI fan base that refuse to make the jump to WoW. I also very much doubt there will be cross platform gameplay what with FFXIV more than likely running through games for windows as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People have WoW to play. I doubt many people are excited about this other than the small hardcore FFXI fan base that refuse to make the jump to WoW. I also very much doubt there will be cross platform gameplay what with FFXIV more than likely running through games for windows as well.
    WoW and FFXI are so different though. From what I've heard WoW is a much more casual MMO, which had solo play from the start. FFXI had solo play patched in over time and with feedback from the community gained other improvements which made it a bit more like WoW, but it's a much more 'hardcore' MMO to play. I started playing FFXI after a lot of these improvements so I can't really tell you what FFXI was like when it first launched.

Who said people couldn't play more than one MMO anyways? Perhaps not here but I'm fairly certain the Japanese (where FFXI is still the most popular MMO) are/will be excited about FFXIV. The way you go on you'd sware nobody was playing Guild Wars, Lord of The Rings Online or FFXI :pac:

I realise that there's a barrier there with an MMO Final Fantasy that doesn't exist for the single player games, but with FFXI the story line really is amazing and the world is huge. If they build on these qualities and continue the improvements they made to FFXI, FFXIV could be even more popular than FFXI ever was. Considering how FFXI, as an online game, is aimed at an older audience and thus has a more mature storyline I'd expect you to be all over that.

From what I've read it sounds pretty dull with a community afraid of doing any quests because if they die they lose their experience so instead the go around in experience groups taking turns baiting a single enemy and killing them for hours on end.

Advertisement