Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History essay help, elections

Options
  • 30-05-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

I'm attempting to plan an essay on the outcomes/significance of the 1885/1006 elections however tis quite difficicult without a book, long story:) anywho i've 4 papragraphs, need another 4 or so. So far I have: liberal split, killing home rule with kindness, propelling parnell to his pinnacle of popularity(thrawling a tad i know) and belfast sectarian violence/riots. Any ideas for paragraphs pleaseeeeeeeee:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You could say it established what exactly Home Rule was. The 1893 and 1912 bills were almost exactly the same as the 1st one. The founding of the Unionist party also. I really hope a question like this doesn't come up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Sorry for hijacking this but, what you write for this essay that came in the mocks

"How did the parlimentary success of the home rule bill 1912 accelerate sovereignty and partition in ireland?"

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It was the first time a British election was fought over the Irish Question and the conservatives realised after it that they needed to placate Irish people when in power (leading to their policy of killing HR with kindness).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

creggy wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this but, what you write for this essay that came in the mocks

"How did the parlimentary success of the home rule bill 1912 accelerate sovereignty and partition in ireland?"

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

creggy wrote: »

Well division between Nationalist and Unionist talk about both sides response to the bill how Ireland came close to civil war, WW1 delays bill, execution of the Rising leaders give way to a new hope for complete sovereignty all the way to the 1949 if you want. There is no time limit on this one which is great.

This is the easiest question you could ever ever EVER be asked on the course as you have so much you can use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ Or you could look at it as the hardest question because there's too much to cover.

^ Or you could look at it as the hardest question because there's too much to cover.

Nope considering History is the only subject where your begging them to give you a long widened question like that, they can't penalise you for leaving out certain things as long as you manage to connect all your points back to the question which in this case is simple considering that the question itself could be used to describe that particular section on the course.

At end of the day you need to get x many points to get your 60/60 content marks and this question allows you to do that easily. Id be more worried on a question that has a very narrow scope ie Discuss Issac Butt's contribution to the establishment of a Nationalist organtisation or something on the lines of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Stev_o wrote: »
    Discuss Issac Butt's contribution to the establishment of a Nationalist organtisation or something on the lines of that.

I threw up in my mouth a little. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Nope considering History is the only subject where your begging them to give you a long widened question like that, they can't penalise you for leaving out certain things as long as you manage to connect all your points back to the question which in this case is simple considering that the question itself could be used to describe that particular section on the course.

At end of the day you need to get x many points to get your 60/60 content marks and this question allows you to do that easily. Id be more worried on a question that has a very narrow scope ie Discuss Issac Butt's contribution to the establishment of a Nationalist organtisation or something on the lines of that.

hmm...im the complete opposite. i hate wide scope because it's very vague. i prefer essays on short chapters so i can fit everything in.

hmm...im the complete opposite. i hate wide scope because it's very vague. i prefer essays on short chapters so i can fit everything in.

See when that happens to me at least ill struggle to find enough points to make up a 4/5 page essay and will end up waffling which gets me nowhere. For example SF success in 1918 General Elections is piss essay for me know it all the points etc but in the end ill only get to a mere 3/4 pages and run out of points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement