Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A good RPG? Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey?

• 30-05-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good RPG to play. I've already played:

Fallout 3
    Oblivion
    Fable 2
    and
    Mass Effect

Was thinking about Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey. They've got decent scores on Metacritic. Or maybe Eternal Sonata.

Has anyone played these or do you know of any other decent RPGs available on the 360?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll probably hate blue dragon, I didn't think too much of it. Lost odyssey is very good but takes a while to get into. Eternal Sonata is also very good.

If I were you however I'd wait until Tales of Vesperia is released which is meant to be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Lost Odyssey has a good storyline and premise but I felt that it became incredibly cheesy near the end. Eternal Sonata is brilliant. I'd recommend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was going to say Mass Effect when I saw the thread title but seeing as you've played that I'll recomend Lost Odyssey. Blue Dragon, disregard. Eternal Sonata I never got into but I didn't give it much of a chance.
    It's already been mentioned but Tales of Vesperia will be out here in June! I'm looking forward to it's release for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

While I have yet to beat it, LO is very good indeed! There's a Tales of Vesperia demo available too, if you want to try before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'd go with Lost Odyssey, but as retr0gamer said it does take a while to get into. I'm only on disc 2 in it now and its very good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Blue dragon is average at best imo , but if you cant take the final fantasy style random encounters it will really grind on you. Had it for months before getting into and did enjoy it for a time but never finished it.

Guess i just cant take random encounters anymore and don't have the patience for that type of game, which surprised me as i was a big fan of that style of game for many years.

I suspect that this game isn't for you OP as all of the others you mention are more modern style action RPG's , Blue dragon is more the traditional final fantasy kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I've cleared both blue dragon and lo and I thought both of em were good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eternal Sonata is worth a play - its pretty short, but it has a great battle system and a really offbeat but interesting story. Art design is fantastic. Not the best JRPG around, but well worth the price you can get it for these days.

You could try the demos for all these games, but I've found with demos for RPGs (especially Tales of Vesperia) they kind of just throw you into the game at some random chapter and don't give you a chance to get to grips with the mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I think I'll give Eternal Sonata and/or Lost Odyssey a go if I can find them on the cheap.

I've only ever played one JRPG (Skies of Arcadia) which was excellent so maybe it's time to give them another stab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

you can get lost odyssey and enternal for 10 euro new in extravivon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nonnah-semaj

Bioshock is an amazing rpg- its storyline is interesting and keeps u guessing and its gameplay is stunning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Actually gave Lost Odyssey a go. Load of ****e I thought. Spent so much bloody time on it too. F*cking waste of a summer.

got it, played it for bout a week and gave up cos it takes soooo long to complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Bioshock is an amazing rpg- its storyline is interesting and keeps u guessing and its gameplay is stunning!!!!

Wouldn't call bioshock an RPG in fairness. Its more a shooter isn't it. I know there is upgrades in it but nothing near the kind of leveling stuff in oblivion or fallout 3, let alone one of those JRPGs.

true it is a semi-rpg:D but its certainly worth a play!! i think fallout is a great game but is too drawn out at times, saying that the endless slaughter of splicers in bioshock is also very very monotenous!!

Advertisement