Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 replacement.

Options
  • 30-05-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi boards.ie members,
    I have been a microsoft consumer for about 5 years now, buying their computers and 3 of their consoles, countless controllers, microphones etc, which many have broken.

My xbox 360 has gotten the e73 error, and I am out of warranty. I do not know if it would be easier/ cheaper to buy a new console or send it in for repairs without the warranty. I have TWO xbox 360 hard drives now, as TWO of the xbox's which I have bought, one after the other breaking and the other my first.

I am willing to buy a new xbox, and would like to know how much a new xbox without anything - games, wires, hard drive, controllers - would cost compared to repairing it (and does repairing it make it a permanant solution?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

if you are getting it fixed then don't send it back to MS. They charge stupid pennies for it.
    There are a few places that will do it for 35euro + , have a look around.

I bought a new Xbox (after getting the RRoD on my own one) from adverts.ie that did not have any wires or controllers etc. It cost 90euro.
    If you buy one of the arcade units (get one of the new lower power consuming ones with the hardware revisions) and just sell off the other parts on ebay you should be able to re-coup the expenses incurred for a new machine.

Best of luck with it anyways.

p.s. As seen with the RRoD and E74, Repairs are not permanant, there's just no way of making sure it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Andrewb94

Doodee wrote: »
    if you are getting it fixed then don't send it back to MS. They charge stupid pennies for it.
    There are a few places that will do it for 35euro + , have a look around.

I bought a new Xbox (after getting the RRoD on my own one) from adverts.ie that did not have any wires or controllers etc. It cost 90euro.
    If you buy one of the arcade units (get one of the new lower power consuming ones with the hardware revisions) and just sell off the other parts on ebay you should be able to re-coup the expenses incurred for a new machine.

Best of luck with it anyways.

p.s. As seen with the RRoD and E74, Repairs are not permanant, there's just no way of making sure it works.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I have been looking around, and found a few people.. but a lot of them are giving examples of 3-4 weeks waiting times, which, for me, seems a bit sketchy.

What exactly is the arcade unit? I have an elite 120gb hard drive and a 60 gb hard drive, will I be able to simply put the hard drives on and it will be the same as my elite?

EDIT:
    Does the arcade have a HDMI cable output/input?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

It didn't have HDMI before but it does now. Got an Arcade over a year ago and it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Andrewb94 wrote: »
    will I be able to simply put the hard drives on and it will be the same as my elite?

Yes. My elite packed up around a month ago and MS wanted 120 euro to fix it along with a 3-4 week waiting time so I popped into town and and picked up a second hand 360 arcade for 125 euro from Game. Popped on the 120 gig hdd and the black case and its now identical to my old elite, plus I got a second controller and a disc containing 5 games from the live arcade. Much better idea than getting MS to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Andrewb94

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Yes. My elite packed up around a month ago and MS wanted 120 euro to fix it along with a 3-4 week waiting time so I popped into town and and picked up a second hand 360 arcade for 125 euro from Game. Popped on the 120 gig hdd and the black case and its now identical to my old elite, plus I got a second controller and a disc containing 5 games from the live arcade. Much better idea than getting MS to fix it.
    Wow, was it on sale or are the arcades really that cheap now? I've been searching a lot, and the cheapest I could find was for 150 euros

Also, did you have any downloaded content on that xbox? Did you have to pay for any new maps, clothes, themes, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Andrewb94 wrote: »
    Wow, was it on sale or are the arcades really that cheap now? I've been searching a lot, and the cheapest I could find was for 150 euros

Also, did you have any downloaded content on that xbox? Did you have to pay for any new maps, clothes, themes, etc?

To my knowledge it wasnt a sale price of any kind, it was just the price they had on the box on the shelf.

As for DLC. On your current Xbox any DLC you purchase will be available to all the profiles on your Xbox. If you get a new Xbox (either through a shop or a refurb through Microsoft) the DLC will only work for the profile that bought the content. So anything you bought with your profile will still work fine for you.

Advertisement