Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy this 2.2 TDCI 155 ST Mondeo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Piston heads one looks mint and fully loaded. The best colour too.

I reckon it'd be a good buy and I also think you will sell it afterwards - these things do have a following and their rarity in this country should help it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It does alright, have to wait for the insurance company to finalise what they are gonna value my car at before I can decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The one on pistonheads looks a cracker, although I've always had a thing for high spec Mondeo's...

Go for it, why not. It'll be worth as much as the rest of them in a few years time anyway.

Edit: I think 5,500 pounds would be a very respectable sum of money for that car, would it not?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think so ya. CAn't make a move though until I get a final amount of how much the insurance are giving me for my own crashed car so I will have to wait until the end of next week! I fear it will be gone by then though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

yop wrote: »
    I think so ya. CAn't make a move though until I get a final amount of how much the insurance are giving me for my own crashed car so I will have to wait until the end of next week! I fear it will be gone by then though!

A deposit can always work well, depending on the seller.

Here's hoping all is ok after the crash for those involved!

• Advertisement

Thanks LM, crash could have been a hell of a lot worse, passenger has broken bones in back and out for 3 months, I have a swelled spleen but we are all alive.

?Have to try and get things back to normal now. Have no car so can't go any where. So its either stick with an A4 or get the mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

yop wrote: »
    Thanks LM, crash could have been a hell of a lot worse, passenger has broken bones in back and out for 3 months, I have a swelled spleen but we are all alive.

?Have to try and get things back to normal now. Have no car so can't go any where. So its either stick with an A4 or get the mondeo.

Sounds nasty. I presume you were not at fault.

Mondeo would handle better than the Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Make sure you get a few quotes 1st yop.

I'm sure you'll be sound but better to be on the safe side, 0 NCD and a claim (if it happens) might make your insurance jump quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Sounds like a nasty crash YOP, so good to hear you are all alive!

My advice would be to change the car.
    The ST Mondeo is a lovely, rare and quick car. I was going to buy one 2 years ago but the VRT at the time put me off. I regret it now. However, the performance blue is the right colour for that car.
    The injectors were changed also (€500 a pop AFAIK), so this is good. The only other possible problem could be the dual mass fly wheel. I don't think they were an issue in the 2.2l unit but they were very much an issue in the 2.0l unit. Ask a Ford mechanic if this is a known issue - I haven't heard so for the ST but as i said, they are very rare in Ireland.
    The Mondeo also has all the goodies accept for a sun roof, so you shouldn't be found wanting there.
    A beautifully balanced car so you wont know yourself in the corners. Some ST owners have upgraded the brakes. I also found them a bit wooden alright when I was test driving one. I think the brake upgrade was about £700 at the time.
    Anyway cool car so I would go for it. Good luck with the insurance, i hope things work out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lovely car. We had one as a rentacar in Wales a couple of years back. Refined and quick.

If I were you Yop I'd get a steer from your insurers on the possible/likely fallout from the crash before buying.

A 2.2 STtdci Mondeo will have a highish insurance group, and if your base premium goes up it could get procey in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a 05 UK import ST TDCi on carzone with 52k miles asking €14k inc VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a 05 UK import ST TDCi on carzone with 52k miles asking €14k inc VRT.

Thats about 4k or so overpriced.

The piston heads one is 6k sterling, so 7k euro inc ferry/flights, plus 2900 euro vrt...10k cleared :)

Lovely cars all the same, really stand out among the poverty spec mondeo's over here :cool:

Thanks for all the updates lads.

Re insurance, I am fully liable and a personal claim has gone in so I dont know how it goes.

That is a good suggestion in asking them, at this stage I will be with them now for 3-5 years I think.
    I wonder is this possible, I am dealing with a claims assessor so maybe he could help.

Maybe I should forget about this as a bad idea! Or another side to this would be to insure it in my wifes name and be named myself.

I drove one myself and it was a good buzz, I know its not sports car but it would be a nice drive and have the economy to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

OP, firstly, Im sorry to hear of your recent accident, and hope that everything works out. Regarding the Mondeo ST, Ive never driven one, but I'd like to!

However, if the ST is going to come with a big insurance loading, why not keep an eye for a zetec 130bhp model. Most of these will be ex uk cars.

I have one, and I cannot fault its performance, economy or reliability (so far!)
    I've owned this for 3 years, and its the longest Ive kept a car yet, so that tells a story.

Just another option for you to think about.

gyppo wrote: »
    OP, firstly, Im sorry to hear of your recent accident, and hope that everything works out. Regarding the Mondeo ST, Ive never driven one, but I'd like to!

However, if the ST is going to come with a big insurance loading, why not keep an eye for a zetec 130bhp model. Most of these will be ex uk cars.

I have one, and I cannot fault its performance, economy or reliability (so far!)
    I've owned this for 3 years, and its the longest Ive kept a car yet, so that tells a story.

Just another option for you to think about.

Thats true I will consider that if the ST becomes and "insurance" issue. Will see how it goes this week.

Advertisement