Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever get refused entry to a bar???

Options
  • 30-05-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

I was absolutely ripping last night!! I'm a regular in Capitol and headed there with a friend last night, it was about 11.50 but we weren't hammered by any means and had the gladrags on etc. But for some reason we got the 'not tonight girls' line!!! I was so so mad!:mad:

I honestly don't get it, I'm there most weekends that I'm out and never had any bother before. Not impressed at all :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

yeah was refused a few times, mainly for not wearing the right clothes :rolleyes:

did he give you any reason??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Ya thats happened to me before,
    stange though that your a regular.
    Usually its a new place, for absolutly no reason at all.!!!

Ah well there loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

aye I found it a bit odd alright!! I'm thinking maybe it was jammed out or something? I don't know!:confused: Problem is now my friend won't go back and I love the place:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Just refuse to ever go back again. I'm a man (And hence, know nothing) but one time I was refused entry to a pub in the city centre for looking 'scruffy' because I fancied a pint with my mate at 6:30 in the day, after work with my work tee shirt on. This was a pub I go to very regularly, so I told the bouncer to go f-ck himself and his little powertripping routine and haven't went back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Thats annoying. I guess because of the good weather etc they had a full house and didnt give a damn about their regulars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

G86 wrote: »
    aye I found it a bit odd alright!! I'm thinking maybe it was jammed out or something?
    Surely you and your friends know this is a legitimate reason to turn people away?
    wrt the topic, no I've never been refused, but I scrub up nice and am not a nasty drunk. :)

Ah I know thats a legit reason, just never been turned away there before so wasn't too happy! ah well sure had a great night anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I will not frequent any bar that will have me as a customer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your 23 and good looking from your bebo page :D Dont take it personel. The bouncers were clearly just stroking there ego! But if you had of been quick you could have said someting like! "i am a regular, you werent here last month you jackass! I am feckin off to spend my money somewhere decent and when you gobsh1tes pass me down the road handing out free vouchers cause you have no one in I will laugh at you and remind you of my good looking smile - Bye loosers!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I would suspect you were drunker than you thought because the fact is women do not get stopped going into bars like Capitol.

End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

But if you had of been quick you could have said someting like! "i am a regular, you werent here last month you jackass! I am feckin off to spend my money somewhere decent and when you gobsh1tes pass me down the road handing out free vouchers cause you have no one in I will laugh at you and remind you of my good looking smile - Bye loosers!"
    I was a bouncer for years and I've heard lots of variations of that speech.

Trust me, they don't give a sh*te! It does not hurt their feelings, and unless you were one of only 3 regulars, they aren't going to notice your absence. If it makes you feel a bit better, go for it - but that's about all it's going to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^Agreed. The occasional time I've been refused from a bar for turning up too late or it being packed out or whatever, the only thing I've ever bothered to say is "Thanks anyway man." Some bouncers are assholes, sure, but they do have a job to do and if the place is full, its full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Myself and 5 other lads were refused in a bar on Camden Street Friday night.
    We had just finished exams. Two lads had had about 4 or 5 drinks but were not even showing any effects of the alcohol and had just had a bag of chips each. And four of us were sober (not one drink)

We were told "Sorry, not letting big groups in tonight"

I know if we had any sence we should have split up into two groups of three but weren't thinking just chatting together as we were arrived. We were very respectable looking too.

I just think its a bad business move if bouncers don't let you in when there is no valid reason. I'd never been in this particular pub before and without even being inside its doors i can safely say i probably wont go there again. Loosing good customers.

Oh and by the way we didn't give any bull****, just said thanks and went across the street where they were glad of our custom. Even had a good chat with the two barmen they were very nice.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I would suspect you were drunker than you thought because the fact is women do not get stopped going into bars like Capitol.

End of.

I definitely wasn't, I'd had 2 drinks, and it takes alot more than that!!

Ah I just said 'is there any particular reason, because we're regulars here'. They just said no - so I wasn't going to stand there debating it and make a scene - not my style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

A friend of mine got refused from Doyle's before. In fairness, she had had a few drinks... but it's pretty embarrassing getting turned away from a bar! Especially when there's tons of people outside to hear the bouncers saying "Not tonight!"
    :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

In a Way, its a rite of passage. It's going to happen to everyone at some stage, Like getting ID'd for cigarettes/booze.

A bouncer didn't believe my ID last night (which is fair enough since I didn't believe the bastard had ID'd me going into the Porterhouse!) and I just looked at him and was like "Yes. I put in contacts and shaved since that photo was taken... 4 years ago...." He let me in then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

A bouncer didn't believe my ID last night (which is fair enough since I didn't believe the bastard had ID'd me going into the Porterhouse!) and I just looked at him and was like "Yes. I put in contacts and shaved since that photo was taken... 4 years ago...." He let me in then. :pac:

I was in Porterhouse last night too! :)
    I got ID'd at the door as well, which hasn't happened me going into a pub in aggges!

I've never actually been refused from a place...

A few lads in my class are repeatedly refused from 21s -Keep going back for more rejection! :pac:

I got ID'd at the door as well, which hasn't happened me going into a pub in aggges!

Ha, coulda been an impromptu LL meet up! Had I stayed any longer that is. Went to the Gaiety for a while and ended up in Lillies by the end of the night... Prob shoulda stayed in the Porterhouse though, it was one of the few places in town that had people in it last night....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've never actually been refused from a place...

A few lads in my class are repeatedly refused from 21s -Keep going back for more rejection! :pac:

What saps. Theres only one thing worse than going to 21s and thats begging to get in to 21s.

• Advertisement

t-ha wrote: »
    I was a bouncer for years and I've heard lots of variations of that speech.

Trust me, they don't give a sh*te! It does not hurt their feelings, and unless you were one of only 3 regulars, they aren't going to notice your absence. If it makes you feel a bit better, go for it - but that's about all it's going to do!

and this proves the level of education you need to be a bouncer cause if we practised what we preach these people would have no job! but we are long drunk and in another bar so dont give a sh1t :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

and this proves the level of education you need to be a bouncer cause if we practised what we preach these people would have no job! but we are long drunk and in another bar so dont give a sh1t :D

How? It's not like bouncers are on a profit sharing scheme with the bar's they work for so why would they care if they refuse one or two regulars who vow to never come back?

How? It's not like bouncers are on a profit sharing scheme with the bar's they work for so why would they care if they refuse one or two regulars who vow to never come back?

another bouncer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Quandary

"Sorry not tonight stories eh"??

This used to bother me worse than anything......

& to be fair this used to only happen in Limk City at Icon night club.....

I used to work in a bar in Limk and after work would head into town to a nightclub with a few friends. There was 2 of us, neither of us had had a drink taken, the bouncer says to me to go get a cup coffee and sober up first:eek::eek::eek::eek:!! I said we had just finished work and hadnt even had a drink yet + he wouldnt budge. So i went away and came back 20 mins later (after sobering up:rolleyes:) and the bouncer says sorry lads, not tonight. While keeping me and my m8 to one side they proceeded to let in a gang of 17 year old girls ( i know they were that age cos my g/fs younger sister was one of them)

I didnt give them guff cos i knew there was no point but that was probably the worst "sorry not tonight" of my life!

Oh and btw - we were wearing shirts and slacks and both of us were 25 at the time.

So who can top that??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IIRC, wouldn't 25 be a bit old for the Icon? Isn't it mostly an "18" to 21 kinda place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Quandary

it is now but back then it was a realtively new spot+ all sorts went there.

Not really the point though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

In a Way, its a rite of passage. It's going to happen to everyone at some stage, Like getting ID'd for cigarettes/booze.

I'm still id'd for booze and I'm 24 in a month :confused:

It just depends on the bouncer I guess. I normally make a b-line for the bouncer that lets me in every time. I've actually been asked for ID by another bouncer and the bouncer that knows me stepped in and said "He's alright, let him by"
    Had a big grin on my face going in as I was quite drunk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Caliden wrote: »
    I'm still id'd for booze and I'm 24 in a month :confused:
    I was ID'd for booze last month, I'm 25 at the end of June...

I haven't been refused from anywhere in a long time, the last one was probably Q Bar a few years ago. I was with 2 friends, both of whom were rather drunk, and we all got refused. Not surprised though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

A friend of mine got refused from Doyle's before. In fairness, she had had a few drinks... but it's pretty embarrassing getting turned away from a bar! Especially when there's tons of people outside to hear the bouncers saying "Not tonight!"
    :(

Doyles' bouncers are pricks anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

They've never been anything but nice to me. Had my purse stolen from there and they were really helpful... Think the only time I've been refused was trying to get in to Antics on results night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement