Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever get refused entry to a bar???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've been refused entry for being too drunk in the past. Funny thing was I was on a not drinking kick for about 5 months. Twat let all my friends in ahead of me but stopped me.

I'm nearly 30 but I was carded last week trying to buy beer (2 bottles) in Tesco by a fella about 10 years younger than me. Ovbiously I had no ID as I haven't had a use for it in years, showed him my wedding ring and told him you can't get married until you're 18. He had to call his manager, who laughed at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

got refused from a nightclub for being foreign (irish). I though everyone loved irish people! apparently not! It was crap because all my friends (not irish) got in no problem.

never been refused in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Got refused going into the George on Thursday night. He asked for ID (i'm 26 in Sept) and I didn't have it. I was with two blokes who were 24 and 25 and he had no problem letting them in but wouldn't budge about letting me in...humph! I refuse to bring my Passport out...I loose things!!

Couple of months ago myself, my OH and a couple of his workmates had been playing pool in the Dragon and then decided to go across to Capitol. We had only had 2 drinks each and the lads were all dressed nicely (as was I) but the bouncers at Capital pulled a 'not tonight lads' on us. I had only been there the week before and they were gonna let me in but not the lads! Rage!! So we went off with our monies elsewhere!! Haven't been back since.

I have no problem if we are drunk, rowdy or if the place is jammers but when they do it just coz they decide they don't like the look of ya it drives me mad!!

dosed wrote: »
    got refused from a nightclub for being foreign (irish). I though everyone loved irish people! apparently not! It was crap because all my friends (not irish) got in no problem.

never been refused in Ireland though.

Whereabouts was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm nearly 30 but I was carded last week trying to buy beer (2 bottles) in Tesco by a fella about 10 years younger than me. Ovbiously I had no ID as I haven't had a use for it in years, showed him my wedding ring and told him you can't get married until you're 18. He had to call his manager, who laughed at him.

Thats frickin awesome.

The only bar Ive ever been stopped going in to has been Dandelion.

Now Im not a fan of places like that anyway but was going to meet some friends that liked it so what do you do.My friends(female) had to come out and try and explain that I wasnt drunk (I had just left the house) and that I was meeting them.Bouncer eventually relented but the worst thing was when I got in there was a very rowdy stag from England there,all soused,loud and obnoxious wearing some of the worst shirts I have ever seen.How do jokers like that not get refused.

Have never been asked for ID in my entire life though.

I reckon bouncers stop a certain quota of people every night to try and make the place more attractive to punters than it actually is cos there have been a few nights that Ive been absolutely pie-eyed and there were no remarks passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I once got the "not tonight love" line in Capitol, after I had stepped out of the door to run to the shop for chewing gum. The bouncer refused to believe that I had been in already, despite me saying hello to him on the way out and despite the fact that I didn't have either a coat or a bag with me.

I tried to explain or asking could he at least walk me in so I could show him my bag with my ID etc in it - No. This went on for about 5 minutes, (no phone to ring anyone inside), until a girl who was having a smoke told him that she had seen me inside.... Then he let me in.

I was once refused from Eamon Dorans because I had come straight from work in tracksuit bottoms. In fairness that was a low...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

giddybootz wrote: »
    Got refused going into the George on Thursday night. He asked for ID (i'm 26 in Sept) and I didn't have it. I was with two blokes who were 24 and 25 and he had no problem letting them in but wouldn't budge about letting me in...humph! I refuse to bring my Passport out...I loose things!!
    Weird... The George is one place I've never, ever been ID'd, even at 19-20ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I haven't been IDed since I was 15, I'm only twenty ffs :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I take particular glee in anywhere struggling/making a loss/closing down that feels it right to refuse anyone entry. It's great to see. A bar close to me doesn't open one day a week because 'not enough people go now'..the same place that thought itself exclusive enough to refuse customers not too long ago...:pac: Hopefully every business like that will have a slow painful horrible death and the managements dragged backwards over hot coals....

I used to be ID'd regularly but not anymore it would seem..never been refused in Capitol, but one on Camden St where I did has never seen me darken their door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

dfx- wrote: »
    I take particular glee in anywhere struggling/making a loss/closing down that feels it right to refuse anyone entry. It's great to see. A bar close to me doesn't open one day a week because 'not enough people go now'..the same place that thought itself exclusive enough to refuse customers not too long ago...:pac: Hopefully every business like that will have a slow painful horrible death and the managements dragged backwards over hot coals....

I used to be ID'd regularly but not anymore it would seem..never been refused in Capitol, but one on Camden St where I did has never seen me darken their door again.

Yes, because a few years ago they should have let every tracksuit wearing knacker in in anticipation of the recession and the fact that they may need these people in the future. Ah no, let's face it, nowhere needs knackers.

Funny that the decline in you being asked for ID has coincided with getting older :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Coincided from being 23 to being 24? :eek:

And those who traded in exclusivity did so on the basis of being a 'tracksuit wearing knacker'...:rolleyes:

Yeah.

Once upon a time when I was underage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

was in Capital for end of exams night out and a bunch of the lads didn't get it in. i went up to the bouncers to ask why and got the response "we don't give reasons,love". i replied "not even to paying customers who were planning on spending the evening here?" jackasses refused, so we up and left,taking a very large group with us.idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

was in Capital for end of exams night out and a bunch of the lads didn't get it in. i went up to the bouncers to ask why and got the response "we don't give reasons,love". i replied "not even to paying customers who were planning on spending the evening here?" jackasses refused, so we up and left,taking a very large group with us.idiots.

Hey chick!!fancy seeing you here ;)

I was actually in there for a bit that night too, talk about double standards:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I got refused once, because apparently my passport looks nothing like me. Yet every other time i've gone there and used my passport i've been let in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I got refused once, because apparently my passport looks nothing like me. Yet every other time i've gone there and used my passport i've been let in

I love when that happens, you can travel to other countries on said passport, but god forbid you try to use it to get a drink!!! You could be like a 17 year old or something.

And we all know, there are no bars that let 17 year olds drink!!! None whatsoever, no sirree bob,

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

dfx- wrote: »

I totally agree, I was treated so rudely going to Lillies one night and I was sober and well dressed with 5 similar friends they let us in eventually but who the hell do they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was in a quiet bar a few years back with my flatmate, watching a match about 8pm on a Tues or Thurs. It was quiet. I went out to the ATM down the road, bringing just my card with me and leaving half a drink, my wallet and my flatmate in the bar. 5 minutes later bouncer refused me re-entry for not having ID! I was in my mid-20s. I had no phone and had to describe my flatmate to the bouncer, so that he could come out and rescue me. Pathetic! We didn't go back to that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got refused from Boomerang's (does that place still exist?) in my first year of college because it was me and a group of lads. They just said, not tonight. What annoyed me is that I used to go there a lot on night's out with the girls, all dresed up and they couldn't be more eager for you to go through the door. I never went back after that. That was quite a few years though.

Also got refused from Eamon Doran's a few years ago because my friend was extremely drunk. I understood that one and we just went somewhere else!

Otherwise I've never had a problem - even when very drunk. I do get id'd EVERYWHERE though as does anyone that happens to be with my but New Zealand is incredibly strict on the whole ID thing. If you "look under 30" they ID you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

yep ,usually by little munchin bouncers on a power trip .Or another trick is to ask the girl I'm with for i.d ,then I get my head wrecked for the rest of the night . lol !;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Think Krystle is the only place I've been refused from. One dickhead on the door is by far the worst bouncer I've ever come across. The rest are grand and always let me in. I never go there now, only went because the person I was seeing at the time always went. I'll have to get on Big Brother/You're a Star/become friends with Glenda Gilson if I want to get in there again probably if he's on the door. Not that I'd want to, place is full of muppets, at least they have somewhere to go though I guess and keep away from the rest of us.

Apart from that never been refused anywhere else as far as I can remember. Girls have it a lot easier obviously.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Think Krystle is the only place I've been refused from. One dickhead on the door is by far the worst bouncer I've ever come across. The rest are grand and always let me in. I never go there now, only went because the person I was seeing at the time always went. I'll have to get on Big Brother/You're a Star/become friends with Glenda Gilson if I want to get in there again probably if he's on the door. Not that I'd want to, place is full of muppets, at least they have somewhere to go though I guess and keep away from the rest of us.

Apart from that never been refused anywhere else as far as I can remember. Girls have it a lot easier obviously.

Haha is that the night you made me, lisa and co go?!!:o

A friend of mine loves the place, but its really not my scene at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

G86 wrote: »
    Haha is that the night you made me, lisa and co go?!!:o

A friend of mine loves the place, but its really not my scene at all.

That was one of the nights. Muppet of the highest order. Wonder if he's still there. For the record a lot of people have a problem with this guy, it's not sour grapes. If he was nice about it I'd be fine with it but he's vile.

Otherwise I'd say the last time I got refused from a club was when I was 17 and had a crappy fake ID :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭poss

^^Agreed. The occasional time I've been refused from a bar for turning up too late or it being packed out or whatever, the only thing I've ever bothered to say is "Thanks anyway man." Some bouncers are assholes, sure, but they do have a job to do and if the place is full, its full.
    Some bouncers are always assholes when you're locked out of your head.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We were refused one night in the Portabello (i know, the shame).
    The bouncers said it was because one of us was out of his bin drunk, in fairness he was, the lad could hardly stand.

So we plonked our mate on the ground, propped against the wall and asked the bouncers to keep an eye on the lad whilst we ran in and grab a drink.....the saw the funny side of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

G86 wrote: »
    I was absolutely ripping last night!! I'm a regular in Capitol and headed there with a friend last night, it was about 11.50 but we weren't hammered by any means and had the gladrags on etc. But for some reason we got the 'not tonight girls' line!!! I was so so mad!:mad:

I honestly don't get it, I'm there most weekends that I'm out and never had any bother before. Not impressed at all :confused:

Was it the tall bald Polish pr*ck?

He stopped me and 2 of my female friends on a Saturday night a while back, "Not tonight" I was uptil this point a regular, drinking there once or twice a fortnight so I said I want to speak to the manager. He turned to the other bouncer & said that's the manager. I moved on to the next pub and tried to get on with the night out.
    I called the manager during the week and got an apology and I haven't been stopped since.
    Bottom line: if there are no complaints made against him he'll keep getting away with it.

PhilCurran wrote: »
    Was it the tall bald Polish pr*ck?

He stopped me and 2 of my female friends on a Saturday night a while back, "Not tonight" I was uptil this point a regular, drinking there once or twice a fortnight so I said I want to speak to the manager. He turned to the other bouncer & said that's the manager. I moved on to the next pub and tried to get on with the night out.
    I called the manager during the week and got an apology and I haven't been stopped since.
    Bottom line: if there are no complaints made against him he'll keep getting away with it.

Well he was tall and bald, not sure if he was Polish and there was a shorter guy with him. Yeah I might just do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Since I actually turned 18, never refused once but I don't think I have a tendency to go places that refuse. I did end up in Dandelion with a bunch of mates once and the manager 'suggested' we try Coppers instead; I didn't mind though, I'd just turned 20 and felt a bit past it, so being gently ushered out of a pub full of suits and twenty/thirty-something professionals made me feel 16 again and I was grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

No, not that I can remember anyway, though once my friend got refused because she didn't have ID (though she's over 18, and doesn't look under-age). Obviously I didn't go in with out her. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have never been refused entry to a club. I dont know why. Been to plenty but its just never happened. I wonder do I look like someone famous?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement