Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dcg

Options
  • 30-05-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

any1 know where i can get sample exam q's on the net???
    not t4.ie i find them bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

aww gud man! thats great thanks!!!

do people more or less think the paper will be the same layout as the sample? as in the same questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

mink_man wrote: »
    do people more or less think the paper will be the same layout as the sample? as in the same questions?

Stick to the sample and you can't go wrong... Or so I have been told! I am still covering a few other areas though, it's only revision anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Stick to the sample and you can't go wrong... Or so I have been told! I am still covering a few other areas though, it's only revision anyway

If you can do every sample question (incl the Folens ones) your dead on track for at least a C/B. There is going to be a question to sort the A's from the B's however.

• Advertisement

Anyone else worried about the timing?

It's a big shock for me (I'm repeating): we had so much more time last year (45min per question). Granted, the questions are easier this year, but I can see it being a bit of a sprint to get everything 100% finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah I am ****ed for timing. Actually have no chance of finishing it whatsoever. Folens aren't selling sample papers anymore :(

i dont think ill be finished on time! im frigged, i cant finish any question! :( is there any website that shows you how to do them, the onky one im half alright at is perspective and even at that! maybe laminas but how do you get the shortest line between two lines or points???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

Sec A

i intent to get the short questions over in 20 minutes...think about it..if they ask an axonometric like they did in sample that will only take 3 mins, and then uve only 2 left..easily get them done in 8 mins.

Sec B

Then theres sec B...if they ask planes ud get it done in 20 mins and then the bid one...axonometric...id say a good 50 minutes!!! long but easy to get marks

Sec C

...dynamic mechanisms: 2 questions...il prob try get them done in 30 mins.....and that leaves the rest of exam for eassembly which is less than an hour..for assembly and part b which is set of instructions or personal design.

I think that is manageable...ive been talking to teacher in last few days and he's from that t4 thing and he said: STICK TO SAMPLE PAPER and said nothing else so basiclly what he meant was section A and B will be more or less the same he's guessing but obviously diffferent types of questions but same layout.

Afterall we are the first year to be tested...they will be no shocks or drama...just follow sample paper from state examinations

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

Set up your questions and attempt them, just do as much as you can. pick up the attempt marks and have your project in the back of your mind and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I didn't get everything finished in my Mocks however at that stage a lot of things I had not practiced in months (They need to work on setting better guidelines for the project next year).

Now however I have worked on the questions I hope will come up and if they do I should be able to get them down with time to spare. If any of the questions I am not as good at come up I have a working knowledge of them.

The questions will be done in a way that will allow us to finish the paper on time and the candidates throughout Ireland have problems with finishing the exam it will be taken into consideration with the marking scheme. However I don't think they will make the same mistake again (The English course had a serious time problem when it was introduced.).

Either way as long as you know how to do the questions you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Ya I'd say they will put a bit on to the end of 2 out of the 3 part (b) questions to sort out the B's from the A's. Then that will leave one, presumably planes where everyone will do fine in.

Like my timing is fine once I don't make any major mistakes. I can do Interpretations and axonmetric questions from the sample papers is bang on 33 mins, I'd do an easy planes question in under 20. The Geologic has half the roadworks done in most of the sample papers, and the mining questions are all the same. Structural forms might take a bit longer than 33 mins though, between setting up two separate drawings and such.

Its not even the difficulty, its the timing. Basically if you make even a mistake that would set you back 5 mins then you probably not going to get it finished.

I'll probably bring in a stop watch with me, and just move on after 33 mins ish, unless I'm really close to getting it finished. All the marks are generally loaded towards the beginning, but this year so many people are not going to be able to finish that they will be loaded to an even greater extent this year... my theory anyway.

I've never had a problem with timing and have been hitting the B mark pretty consistently. Remember, if you don't get finished theres a fair chance the rest of the country didn't either. They do adjust marks, like Maths, so a part c originally worth 15 could slide down to 5. Sort of unfair if you got that C part but I suppose it levels the playing field some what.

DCG Projects are being corrected after the paper so don't worry, it will be sorted out. There are bound to be teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

ironclaw wrote: »
    DCG Projects are being corrected after the paper so don't worry, it will be sorted out.

I don't think this is correct. According to the timetable on examinations.ie URL="http://examinations.ie/exam/Pract_LC_EV_2009.pdf"]link[/URL the assessment of our projects has to be done by June 19th. By this stage although we would have done our exams they would not have them corrected yet.

Of course this may have changed however unless you have a source for that statement I will believe the published timetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

what i did in the mocks. i got the short qs done in about 20 mins. then i did the planes and traces q. dunno how long it took. then i got as much of the interpenetratio q done in 40 mins as i could. i them did the 2 option qs done in the time allocated. i went back and finished the interpenetration q. worked for me. got the A in the mocks. i got 175/180 in the long qs and only 33/60 on short qs so i just need to tidy up on the short qs and hopefully ill get the A1:)

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I don't think this is correct. According to the timetable on examinations.ie URL="http://examinations.ie/exam/Pract_LC_EV_2009.pdf"]link[/URL the assessment of our projects has to be done by June 19th. By this stage although we would have done our exams they would not have them corrected yet.

Of course this may have changed however unless you have a source for that statement I will believe the published timetable.

To my knowledge from my source, its after the 19th. Makes sense as some people correcting could also be supervising exams til the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was talking to one last week, whats happening is, this Monday they are going down to Athlone for 2 weeks. The chief examiner has already corrected some, they talk it over and then they start correcting on the 19th.

Advertisement