Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on Mahon/Blackrock/Douglas and associated Bus routes

Options
  • 26-05-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Looking to move to Douglas, it was recommended as a good place with lots to do, shops, pubs etc. Anyone living there at the moment??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

Living there? Oh, no, its Ireland's first ghost town ; )

Seriously though, anywhere you live in Douglas will be close enough to the center of the town. I'd go for some place you like rather than worry about how close it is to Barry's (although proximity to KC's would be a big plus :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

There's plenty of boy racers in North Cork and there's wannabe gangsters everywhere these days. Do you mean it's ages from Cork city? On foot or by bus? Actually, I'll be depending on buses into Cork City so any feedback on the bus service would be great too.
    Looking to move within walking distance to the centre of Douglas, living rural at the moment so would be nice change to be near the centre of some nightlife.
    Appreciate your comments already, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

Its possible to walk from Douglas to Cork city, even better to cycle though.
    Bus from Douglas to the bus station is perhaps 15-20 minutes. I'm not sure exactly but its usually around 30 minutes to Carrigaline which is 14km outside the city via Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

ah douglas is grand apart from the little teenagers on every corner especially on a friday and saturday night,loads of boy racers but normally there stuck in traffic so they cant do much:),

if your getting the bus to town between 8 and 9 it could take a good while, plenty of yummy mummys on the school run around that time,cycling might be a better bet,its a bit long to walk (in my opinion)

as the other lads said plenty of good pubs,a cinema,a few nice restaurants,mc donalds, indian and chinese places
    and of course kc`s chipper:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Douglas has everything you need - I much prefer the pubs there than going to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The boy racers are mainly just in Topaz and they're harmless. Wouldn't effect where you lived at all. Quiet enough bunch in general.

Having KC's closeby is both an advantage and hinderance though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Great area, lots to do. The scuts that are around are harmless usually, no worse than any other place.

Hi, I've already posted a thread asking about Douglas as an area to live in, considering Blackrock as well, has anyone any feedback on Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've been living in the Blackrock area now for 30 years, having recently leased a place there. It's fantastic, easily the most underrated area of the city, fast access to Mahon Point and Douglas, and a 10 minute journey by car/bus to the city. Farmers market in the old village on a Sunday, and plenty of bars, and the odd restaurant thrown in too, and if you're a sports fan, you've got Cork Conn Rugby Club, the Pitch n Putt Club, Golf Club, and all the GAA halls too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'm in Ballintemple which means all of the above + easy walk into the city. Ideal spot as far as I'm concerned... except on GAA Sundays when parking and traffic is bad for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Have lived in Blackrock, Ballintemple and Ballinlough.... All nice spots, big improvement on Douglas IMO.

Great feedback, I particularly like the idea of living in Blackrock. My partner working in Little Island and will be driving there, thinks he'll get stuck in traffic either Mahon way or through the city, anyone know what traffic like at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it can be bad down by mahon point in the morning but once you get onto the link heading to little island it should be fine,most traffic will be heading into the city in the morning (assuming he starts at 9) its been a while since iv driven that way to work but its always those damn traffic lights at mahon point causing the problems:mad:

+1 for blackrock,ballintemple and ballinlough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Also, the Mahon/Blackrock Area has some of the best walk/Running routes in Cork. All flat, mostly quite nice looking around by the Water.

Please, please, can anyone help me, I need some information about the No. 2 bus which services Blackrock and the No. 10/10a which services Mahon, both going into Cork City. Bus Eireann timetables are dreadful, they don't provide enough information. I need to know where these buses stop, in and around the Blackrock, Ballinlough and Ballintemple areas, looking to move somewhere, but need to know that I can get a bus easy enough. Also, the No. 6 & No. 7 which service Grange and Douglas, any info on these routes most appreciated. Thank you.

Also, the Mahon/Blackrock Area has some of the best walk/Running routes in Cork. All flat, mostly quite nice looking around by the Water.

Thanks for this, we do like our walks. Whether we move there or not, all depends on what info I get back on the bus routes, just posted a thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

The No.6 goes from Grange, down into Douglas, along the South Douglas road, through Turners Cross and into town where it goes as far as the South Mall. It goes every 10 mins.
    The no.7 is my bus:) It goes from Donnybrook, into Douglas where it turns at John O'Sullivans and goes to the other side of Douglas. From there it heads straight into Town along the Main Douglas Road. In town, it turns onto the South Mall and continues up the Grand Parade and Pana. It then continues on via Mac Curtain street.

CianDon wrote: »
    The No.6 goes from Grange, down into Douglas, along the Douglas road, through Turners Cross and into town where it goes as far as the South Mall. It goes every 10 mins.
    The no.7 is my bus:) It goes from Donnybrook, into Douglas where it turns at John O'Sullivans and goes to the other side of Douglas. From there it heads straight into Town along the South Douglas Road. In town, it turns onto the South Mall and continues up the Grand Parade and Pana. It then continues on via Mac Curtain street.

Great, this information really helpful. Grange Road is quite long, do you know where the bus departs from exactly? Also, same for Donnybrook, is it Donnybrook Hill or Scairt Hill? Sorry to be particular, but it will help decide where to move to. Thanks.

The no 7 turns at the top of Donnybrook hill at the junction for Scart Hill at A: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.862328,-8.438149&daddr=&geocode=&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=51.862367,-8.438176&sspn=0.00161,0.004807&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18.
    The no.6 goes the whole way across Grange and turns down at that junction by the Golf Course and the turn off for Musgraves and that Industrial estate. A in this Map is the junction and B is the bus stop:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=51.867707,-8.468817&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=51.867707,-8.468764&sspn=0.00322,0.009613&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. I don't know that area at all, but how long do you reckon it takes to walk from Grange Road (Frankfield end but not quite as far back as the Golf Course) to Douglas centre?

About 10 mins and it's all downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

The No.6 goes from Grange, down into Douglas, along the Douglas road, through Turners Cross and into town where it goes as far as the South Mall. It goes every 10 mins.
    The no.7 is my bus:) It goes from Donnybrook, into Douglas where it turns at John O'Sullivans and goes to the other side of Douglas. From there it heads straight into Town along the South Douglas Road. In town, it turns onto the South Mall and continues up the Grand Parade and Pana. It then continues on via Mac Curtain street.

The no.6 goes along the South Douglas Road and the no.7 goes along the main Douglas Road. Not the other way around. :o

Sorry about that. I always get those two mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

Easily the best place to live in Cork:cool:

I've been living in Blackrock for the last 6 years and love the area. I take the link every morning to work and find it takes 5 mins at most to get through any traffic by mahon point in the morning - less in the evening on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

About 10 mins and it's all downhill

It would take you 10mins if you sprinted full speed, Its about a 20-30min walk from the Frankfield end EASILY!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    It would take you 10mins if you sprinted full speed, Its about a 20-30min walk from the Frankfield end EASILY!!!

Grange Road does look a bit long, 20-30 mins sounds a bit more realistic. And if it's downhill on the way into Douglas, then it'll probably be double the time on the way back!! Oh well, it's all exercise!!

I've looked into the Blackrock and Douglas areas for moving to and they're getting the thumbs up.

Does anyone know what the Mahon area is like to live, also the Mahon appartments by the Shopping Centre. Looking to rent, and a lot of appartments seem to be ghost towns.

• Advertisement

What apartments by the shopping centre , is it Jacobs Island ?

Advertisement