Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life 2 - Episode 2..... ftw!

Options
  • 31-05-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Just completed it there after a long hiatus from all things Half-Life. Best addon I've played in a long time. They seemed to take all the best things from the main game and cram them into this.

The Lost and the Damned next. Long live DLC!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya it was a lot better than episode one, replayed the game there not to long ago. Can't wait for episode 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I still haven't finished any of them. I started on HL1 and got bored. Really must go through them all over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I still haven't finished any of them. I started on HL1 and got bored. Really must go through them all over a week.

yep they are worth blasting through in one go. Good and all as HL1 was i would start from HL2 if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You're missing something special if you skip HL1 and the Opposing Force and Blue Shift expansions tbh. Blue Shift has a texture upgrade included that works for the others too.
    If you play HL2 first you may not go back to HL1 and that would be a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Half Life 2 is definitely worth a shot. It's a masterpiece in terms of the FPS. Every level is different and the Gravity Gun is fantastic. Likeable characters. Memorable set pieces. And even an homage to survival horror in the creepy (but amazing) Ravenholm level.

And Episode 2 is brilliant too. One of the best game endings I've ever encountered.

Hmmmm... I might go and load it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Agreed, episode 2 was definitely a great game and definitely cannot wait for episode three.

Come on Valve, you must be nearly done at this stage it's been a year and a half since episode 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I got half way through EP2 and then had to reformat my PC and lost my saved games, never bothered going through it again. Must get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I like the mood of Half Life 1, in a way it trumps Half Life 2, less sweet. The sounds are perfect almost, blew me away when it came out.

Kinetic^, why not start.. at the start?

Let's be honest here.. Blue Shift is crap. The ending will make you want to punch small pieces of furniture.

Don't forget to install Half-Life Decay!! Originally for the Playstation 2, but now ported to Windows.

http://decay.half-lifecreations.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

id really like to know where you got bored :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you got bored of HL1, and you're a Cmod of games.

there's something terrible disturbing about that tbh.

hl1 + expansions > hl2 + episodes imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Bah, Opposing Force was a boring shooter that was no where near the excellence of HL1 and I've never played blue shift but never heard anything great about it either.

But I enjoyed every minute of HL2+Ep1+Ep2. AAA from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

opposing forces complemented the HL1 story so much.

playing the story from a different view point was so good.

don't get me wrong, hl2 + episodes are good in fact they are excellent, they just didn't have the same bang wow factor i got playing them the first time that i did with hl1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A definite improvement over Episode One (which didn't really come into its own until the last hour). The ending and massive battle against the Striders are both epic. Episode 3 has indeed been a long time coming though. Maybe Valve think that they can somehow top the Orange Box - and that would be a fairly remarkable achievement considering said box is the most perfect gaming compilation around. I'd honestly say HL2 is every bit the equal of the first, and improves in a vast number of areas (locations, technology, storytelling etc.. ).

(Lost and Damned is great as well - just finished it yesterday and has a superb final mission. These are the kind of DLC developers should be aiming for - rather than the small and cheap packages that seem to be common).

The only thing that makes sense to me is if he stopped playing before his first encounter with Alyx, about 15 minutes in. From then on it seriously picks up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

but he has what counts, wrists like cement mixers!
    seriously kinetic, play through HL1 first. its like reading jurrasic park 2: the lost world without having read jurrasic park 1 first. cos ull then be all like "who the f**k is richard hammond?"
    that and deus ex... u have to play through deus ex. fail at these tasks and u are an inferior form of life. more importantly, it will confirm that you are indeed a n00b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mod Fail TBH

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Jazzy wrote: »
    but he has what counts, wrists like cement mixers!
    seriously kinetic, play through HL1 first. its like reading jurrasic park 2: the lost world without having read jurrasic park 1 first. cos ull then be all like "who the f**k is richard hammond?"
    that and deus ex... u have to play through deus ex. fail at these tasks and u are an inferior form of life. more importantly, it will confirm that you are indeed a n00b

What's Dues Ex?

*Flees*

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i dont like the half life games at all. i do however, like css, tf2, day of defeat and all that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I thought Deus Ex was crap.

There, I said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

There, I said it.

you are wrong. it really is as simple as that.
    thats like a red blooded heterosexual male going "i think tits are crap". they clearly arent and the male in question is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

There, I said it.

I wish there was a thumbs down button :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Anyone who does not like Deus Ex should be shot on the spot, several times and castrated at the same time while being forced to listen to Celine Dion and be forced to watch the Transformers movie over and over!

Between re-installs and not liking single player FPS I just never went back to it. I started it again this morning but meh tbh. I played some of HL2 before as well and that was alright but again not riveting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It really is fantastic!
    The moment when you
    get in the car near the end and drive out into the valley is one of my favourite moments in gaming. Just comprehending the awesomeness of what you're about to do gave me chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I played through half life and all expansions and loved it.

I recently got around to going through HL2 and all episodes and felt underwhelmed, they could have done alot more with it.
    Too much time spent on vehicles and the gravity gun, would have prefered toying with more weapons and taking on different styles of soldiers/monsters. **** it was only near the end of episode 2 that i found out those big long legged things were monsters, i always thought they were some sort of futuristic tank
    ???

I would have finished HL2 ages ago but when i was 3/4 through the game my system got wrecked and i lost my saves and i never bothered restarting it until my friend picked the orange box up for his xbox and we plowed through it.

I find the DLC great, but i really think they should make them longer. Not getting enough bang for my buck, pissed through episode 1+2 :(

Deus ex is ment to be a class game, i kinda wish i hammered into it when i first picked it up on release. I wasn't mad about it when i first played it, which i guess threw me off. I think i ran off and played other games and never went back to it, this is when we were spoiled for choice with games....Good times :D

Nothing but crap being released these days =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I just hope Episode 3 comes out in my life time :(

These games are fantastically brillant and HL is the best single player franchise around with Valve including some great multiplayer games just to keep you feeling good.

That and the mods. I don't think anyone can say they aren't getting value for money :D

Finished HL1 there tonight. Meh. Not going to bother with the others tbh.

Finished HL1 there tonight. Meh. Not going to bother with the others tbh.
    troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Bah, Opposing Force was a boring shooter that was no where near the excellence of HL1 and I've never played blue shift but never heard anything great about it either.

But I enjoyed every minute of HL2+Ep1+Ep2. AAA from start to finish.

Opposing Force is brilliant. I just bought it again on that steam special offer a few weeks ago, great fun. And it cost about €1.67! Cannot go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Only one ive never played is Blue shift?Whats it like?Its from a security guards side of the story isnt it?

Advertisement