Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your frames?

• 31-05-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

For anyone who frames photos, where do you get your frames?
    On-line, in store?
    If so what ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The one i used to frame the photo(which was a gift)on my flickr was in harvey normans Tralee.That's the only one i've bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Generally, I'd be going to a framer than buying premade frames. Quality and choice are a lot better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Places like Harvey Normans are ok. Also generally some hardware stores have frames which can be repainted or as as my wife does she often uses a small sponge to change the shade of the frame which is sometimes ok for smaller prints. For anything bigger a shop with a big selection is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Do you have somewhere who does them reasonably Fajitas? I've always found framers very expensive (I know I know - you get what you pay for..).

I've got some lovely frames from IKEA if you have standard sized mounts. Roll on their opening in July!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i cn do frames at reasonable prices, it is still cheaper to buy ready mades, but depends on what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Sinead would like to point out that she's never gotten a quote from Steve and didn't mean him :D

Steve - what are the advantages of getting them custom made? I've never had one done so I don't know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

How long is a piece of string? I had some framed a few years ago and found it expensive enough in comparison to some of the frames I purchased. The frames I purchased were standard 10 x 8 and were just as good as what I paid to have framed.

All down to budget

sineadw wrote: »
    Do you have somewhere who does them reasonably Fajitas? I've always found framers very expensive (I know I know - you get what you pay for..).

I've got some lovely frames from IKEA if you have standard sized mounts. Roll on their opening in July!

Tbh, presentation is something that shouldn't be done cheap. I use a chap in Waterford mostly, called In The Frame.

Getting them custom made means better frames used and a better choice, mounts cut to match and a better choice of mounts (Including customisation, if you wanted a diptych, etc. A choice of reflective or non-reflective glass, a choice of how the frame will be hung, and so on.

If you're gonna splash out on a good camera and lens, and then go to a good printer, it'd be a shame not to get a good frame. :)

like al says presentation is as important as the picture

It can make or break an image

there are some mass produced frames that look good, and can work out very very cost effective, especially when you add a complementary custom mount

But if you have an odd size or want to do something clever with the presentation using some form of custom cut frame allows the extra flexibility and doesnt make you compromise size etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

This time last year I was in the USA, went to a store and they had some frames!
    Heres one.
    3584670169_6cc55a398a_m.jpg
    It was about $4! Back then exchange rate was pretty good!

Framers can be quiet dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Tbh, presentation is something that shouldn't be done cheap. I use a chap in Waterford mostly, called In The Frame.

Getting them custom made means better frames used and a better choice, mounts cut to match and a better choice of mounts (Including customisation, if you wanted a diptych, etc. A choice of reflective or non-reflective glass, a choice of how the frame will be hung, and so on.

If you're gonna splash out on a good camera and lens, and then go to a good printer, it'd be a shame not to get a good frame. :)

Ah, yes, it is important. But for those of us who don't make a living from Photography.... :p

That's irrelevant. Good presentation = good presentation, whether it's for a client or for yourself. Just because one dosn't make money from photography dosn't mean presentation can be neglected :)

I kinda agree on both sides

I do understand keeping a budget when you dont see a return

BUT i also think Al is right, in the long run if you do a cheap job or presentation you will see it

for example the ammount of images i see in frames with the print touching the glass, and the glass not properly cleaned before the image goes in is huge. if you dont want a window mount on an image, you at least need some form of slip so the image does not touch the glass, the image wont last any time with it against the glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

I've used http://eframe.co.uk/ a few times and find them very good :)

stcstc wrote: »
    I kinda agree on both sides

I do understand keeping a budget when you dont see a return
    Well, I can see the other side, but I think people think framing is mad expensive, whereas, depending on print size, it can be as little as 15 quid more than a premade frame, and you're getting your photo put into a frame and mount that suit your image, rather than looking around Woodies, etc, and saying "that'll do".

I guess I just think it's a bit silly to give up on the last hurdle... because it's going to be one of the first things everyone else sees :)

I've never printed anything :(

Do :)

Photography away from your monitor looks and feels so much better :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Do :)

Have to take good shots first.... :pac:

Just pick two or three and go for it, you don't have to mount or frame them. It'll just give you a different perspective towards your photos.

Good point - it never strikes me to do anything after I take a photo (then wait for something to happen to them on flickr... still waiting!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

silverwood wrote: »
    I've used http://eframe.co.uk/ a few times and find them very good :)

Also very expensive! They charge like 25 dollars postage!!!

Advertisement