Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Garda Speed Trap

• 31-05-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

..just after the end of the west bound lane of the N3 dual carriageway at 8am this morning.

Speed camera on tripod, plain clothes, orange jackets and unmarked car.

Weird or what !?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sure it wasnt a laser level used by builders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Are you positive it was a speed trap.

Could have been suryevors with that laser distance thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

bauderline wrote: »
    ..just after the end of the west bound lane of the N3 dual carriageway at 8am this morning.

Speed camera on tripod, plain clothes, orange jackets and unmarked car.

Weird or what !?

P.

Orange jacket with garda on the back by any chance?! Detective/plainclothes gardai have these, theyre kinda like bibs!

Failing that it was only engineers checking something out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There does be cops hiding in the bushes on motorbike or car waiting to pick off bus lane jumpers on the roundabout on the N3 and the M50. The horrible traffic light controlled one where all the traffic gets snarled up.
    I find with these bus lanes when they become a left only or "city" lane and you have to move in when the solid bus lane line disappears you are having to watch out for and give way to high speed traffic on your near side who have jumped into the bus lane too soon in order to jump the traffi queue. The large speed difference the create makes enetring the correct lane at the correct legal time dodgy and difficult.
    But if the cops are watching for Bus lane usage by cars you have no other choice but to make an abrupt and dangerous move at the end of the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

... didn't look like the normal survey equipment, I was inbound to Dublin so at the far side of the road, but it did look like a laser trap and I couldn't spot a guy with a pole down the road that you normally get when they are taking levels...

I am not 100% sure but I see a lot of those survey guys on my travels.... and this struck me as something out of the ordinary this morning...

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been out as part of work with a speed gun taking speed samples. could easily be some thing like that as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

kearnsr wrote: »
    I've been out as part of work with a speed gun taking speed samples. could easily be some thing like that as well

oh okay, what do you do ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bauderline wrote: »
    oh okay, what do you do ?

Engineer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

how do you obtain accurate speed samples like that? anytime anyone sees anything being imed at the car they instantly hit the brakes

Martron wrote: »
    how do you obtain accurate speed samples like that? anytime anyone sees anything being imed at the car they instantly hit the brakes

You're not meant to be seen. I usually just face away from the direction of traffic and look like a randomer at the side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The RSA operate speed monitoring traps for their own purposes - you don't (can't) get fined by them. Might be one of these. They're usually meant to be well hidden though, as the purpose of them is to monitor "free speed", e.g. what speeds people actually do when they don't know theres a trap around.

Advertisement