Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident with Drain Cleaner

Options
  • 31-05-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi guys, I think this is the right forum for my question.

The drain in my shower frequently gets partially blocked, I amn't quite sure why, maybe two many people using it, maybe cos it's old or maybe a lot of our hair falls out. My other half usually unblocked it with one of the 95% sulphuric acid unblockers, but last year he spilt a bottle of the stuff on his hand and recieved quite serious burns and now won't handle the stuff, so it's been left to me to unblock the drains.

Enter idiot stage right> I poured about 125ml down a partially blocked drain (which I'm now told is way too much) and then wandered off and forgot to rinse it. 12 hrs later I returned and turned on the water...still blocked! So I poured another 125ml down and it kinda sat there for a minute before disappearing, but the drain is now completly blocked.

I removed the little wheel shaped thingy, and then the initial 4" of pipe (the detachable bit) through the plughole and it looks grand for the first 3" but the last inch looks like a diseased artery (all black and misshapened, kinda like if a pipe could get cancer this is what the post-mortum would look like). I suspect my not rinsing caused a build up of heat which destroyed my pipes.

I'm wondering what are the possible sequeale of my 'mishap'.
    Like can that rogue sulphuric acid work it's through concret floors and drip onto the baby in the apartment below?
    What length of pipe will the plumber need to replace?
    Will the several gallons of water I flushed down the pipe be sitting under my shower tray starting to grow mould?
    How much is it likely to cost?
    Could it have done other damage?

I know I'm an idiot, it's not necessary to tell me! I'm gonna put it down to experience! :)

Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Laura,

I'm no chemist but I reckon that the acid you used came in a plastic bottle, so I can't see how it could have damaged your drains. Plus there was bound to have been some water in the drain u-bend, so it would have been diluted the minute you poured it down the drain.

ARE YOU SURE IT WAS 95% PROOF. This sounds awfully strong to me. I know it'e being wise after the event, but you should have a good read of the instructions on the bottle before you use the stuff.

In summary, I doubt if the acid has damaged your drain. But if you are going to use acid in future then have a good read of the instructions, wear the appropriate P.P.E. (glasses, rubber gloves etc). Also, beware of the risk of leaving this product around the house (particularly for young kids).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

yesterday in aldi there was a drain cleaning spring thing might be worth a try
    (cheap enough too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i was having the exact same problem with clogging. I was using those acid based things also. but in the end o got a small plunger and tried that, the mount of black gunk that came up was unreal. I leave the small plunger in the shower now and about once a week while in their i spend 20 secs plunging it and keeping it clear. its working so far!

Advertisement