Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fring? Any better App?

• 31-05-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I am using Fring on My 5800 when I am out and about. I use it for Skype. Its ok for messaging but the voice connection is very bad, in fact its useless.. Has anyone got any experience of using any other similar program thats is good for talking Via Skype.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i think there is an official skype client for that phone but tbh the voice quality on skype was never great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have used fring on the iPhone and currently on my e71 over wifi and it works well.
    It's handier on the e71 as I can use a bluetooth headset to chat which beats having to use the speaker on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Damien360

i use nimbuzz instead on e51 and call quality is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

they actually only released a version of numbuzz for the 5800 in the past few weeks. looks alot like the UI of fring.
    might try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Damien360 wrote: »
    i use nimbuzz instead on e51 and call quality is excellent.
    Thanks Downloaded Nimbuzz today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I used it in the house over wifi and it was 100%. i will try it tomorrow on the road using data connection and see if its any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Nobody mentioned "truphone", It's a Symbian app not Java, worth a try

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

dohouch wrote: »

Tried it and got a certificate error!! Again!!!!! Thats a big problem with the 5800 and apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

My only gripe with Nimbuzz is the toll it takes on the battery in comparison to Fring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

dohouch wrote: »

Fring is also native symbian. Truphone is also great since you can dl the application, check the account details in the sip settings, and then delete the client, and use the Truphone sip profile straight with the native Internet telephony stack. Having Truphone call trigger running in the background is of no use really.

Not too good. Is this right? I made a call with Nimbuzz to a Skype contact and was charged 89 cent By o2 I thought i would make the call via my data connection. A bit puzzled now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Did you have a SIP account set up in Nimbuzz? I have used it with VOIPBuster even in Italy and the call was free but I am with 3. As far as I can make out from the threads here, Vodafone are the only network which blocks SIP - someone correct me if that's not the case.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Did you have a SIP account set up in Nimbuzz? I have used it with VOIPBuster even in Italy and the call was free but I am with 3. As far as I can make out from the threads here, Vodafone are the only network which blocks SIP - someone correct me if that's not the case.

Don t know! I don't what what it is. I only installed it and it worked on wifi. Tried it next day in work and when i called a skype connection in my account is dialed a local number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not too good. Is this right? I made a call with Nimbuzz to a Skype contact and was charged 89 cent By o2 I thought i would make the call via my data connection. A bit puzzled now.:rolleyes:

That does not seem right. Check your settings. Options, settings, call, call provider - skypeout, call type- internet call. I am probably shooting in the dark. I use mine on WiFi only so cannot help any further. Forums here are full of vodafone problems with data calls not possible. Not sure about O2. If it worked on Fring then it should work for Nimbuzz.

Damien360 wrote: »
    That does not seem right. Check your settings. Options, settings, call, call provider - skypeout, call type- internet call. I am probably shooting in the dark. I use mine on WiFi only so cannot help any further. Forums here are full of vodafone problems with data calls not possible. Not sure about O2. If it worked on Fring then it should work for Nimbuzz.

That might be my problem is was set to Cellular. Changed to Skypeout. Thanks I will try again tomorrow when i am off wifi.

Advertisement