Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting should be compulsory!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't think it should apply in these elections, but for general elections and referendums, I agree it should be compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

If you make it compulsory you are going to have proportionally a lot more uninformed voters going to the polls. Which is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

turgon wrote: »
    If you make it compulsory you are going to have proportionally a lot more uninformed voters going to the polls. Which is bad.

Well then they can spoil their votes or do the right thing...and get informed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If someone who doesn't understand the issues and isn't comfortable making a decision has the maturity to let others decide then fair play to them. I would hate to think that my vote in a referendum was negated by someone who was frogmarched to the polls randomly picking one side or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I always say it! Voteing should be compulsory if we lost it in the morning we would kick up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

turgon wrote: »

why so? this is a republic after all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Why should voting be compulsory?

Why should voting be compulsory?

Well now there is an Irony! Your asking us to support a cause attached to your signature and then asking why voting should be compulsory!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Becuase it guarantees that the whole of society contribute and the true opinion of society is reflected!

Well now there is an Irony! Your asking us to support a cause attached to your signature and then asking why voting should be compulsory!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Becuase it guarantees that the whole of society contribute and the true opinion of society is reflected!

I am asking people to support a cause if they feel strongly about it, I am not compelling anyone to support it whether they want to or not

Making voting compulsory only makes people vote, it does not reflect the true opinion of society, people have the right not to vote and that is just as true a reflection of what society thinks as making everyone vote against their will

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

As it is now, i vote when i have an opinion, if i have no opinion i dont vote.

if i were forced to vote, i would spoil each and ever ballot paper in protest.

it wouldnt work for me!

• Advertisement

Many Irish people (myself included) can't see any real reason to vote on the general elections simply because they're essentially the same. They throw out the same promises, make the same sweeping criticisms against other parties, and fail to actually do anything once in power.

I know a rather large number of people who just can't be bothered to vote, because we don't see any change in the political parties in Ireland. We don't trust Irish politicians, and haven't seen a real alternative presented. So, we don't vote.

I vote for referendums. Although I was taken off the registrar without my consent, and now its too late to get back on. Even though I went into the Gardai and the Post office at the start of the month, to get the right forms, they gave me the wrong ones, and by the time, I was sent the right ones, the deadline had passed...

Note. Re Australia. people are fined if they don't vote. Its not that they have to vote. They still have a choice.

I am asking people to support a cause if they feel strongly about it, I am not compelling anyone to support it whether they want to or not

Making voting compulsory only makes people vote, it does not reflect the true opinion of society, people have the right not to vote and that is just as true a reflection of what society thinks as making everyone vote against their will

Not true either, A section can be added like the australlians do which has a box which says "I am voting cause I have to but am not giving it to any of these shisters" ### not exact text! but imo it reflects the opinion of society!

I also think if you dont vote twice without reason you should loose your vote! and believe it or not up north they are starting to remove people from the reg who dont vote! although they seem to be moving those who vote in nationalist areas

Many Irish people (myself included) can't see any real reason to vote on the general elections simply because they're essentially the same. They throw out the same promises, make the same sweeping criticisms against other parties, and fail to actually do anything once in power.

I know a rather large number of people who just can't be bothered to vote, because we don't see any change in the political parties in Ireland. We don't trust Irish politicians, and haven't seen a real alternative presented. So, we don't vote.

I vote for referendums. Although I was taken off the registrar without my consent, and now its too late to get back on. Even though I went into the Gardai and the Post office at the start of the month, to get the right forms, they gave me the wrong ones, and by the time, I was sent the right ones, the deadline had passed...

Note. Re Australia. people are fined if they don't vote. Its not that they have to vote. They still have a choice.

Wait!!! you dont vote! I am not interested in your opinion! you get the jist! either are politicians! and they do check the register to see if you vote. I know cause I do it for them!

Not true either, A section can be added like the australlians do which has a box which says "I am voting cause I have to but am not giving it to any of these shisters" ### not exact text! but imo it reflects the opinion of society!

But surely people not voting has the exact same affect?

By not voting they are making the statement that they either couldn't be arsed or don't think that any of the options are worth voting for

I don't see how forcing people to tick a box makes this any clearer

Why do you want to force people to validate their discontent?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Compulsory democracy?

I think you're missing the whole point.

But surely people not voting has the exact same affect?

By not voting they are making the statement that they either couldn't be arsed or don't think that any of the options are worth voting for

I don't see how forcing people to tick a box makes this any clearer

Why do you want to force people to validate their discontent?

Because the validation of non support is used as an indicator of the support of the public and think about it! if you were a councillor and had more people showing non support that support you would do your upmost to tap into that support!

Its the lazy ones sitting at home who are impossible to tap into!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's ironic about it? How is there even a connection?

How the randomly chosen votes of the huge number of people who don't care about or understand the issue yet have been forced to scratch something down on the ballot paper can be seen as a contribution is beyond me.

As javaboy said, if people are wise enough to admit they don't have enough knowledge about something, or that it's an issue in which thay have no real vested interest and they're happy for more informed/interested people to make the decision for them that is to be commended imo.

Because the validation of non support is used as an indicator of the support of the public and think about it! if you were a councillor and had more people showing non support that support you would do your upmost to tap into that support!

Its the lazy ones sitting at home who are impossible to tap into!

The lack of voting shows non support, forcing people to the polls does nothing to improve this

Plus just cos people do not go to the polls does not mean they are lazy (some are of course) but that they just don't care and they are perfectly entitled not to care

legologic wrote: »
    Compulsory democracy?

I think you're missing the whole point.

No! if you dont vote you end up with the system of voting used in the us now there is someone missing the whole point! you can have more votes then your apponent but because you have failed on the popular vote you lost!

Thats what you end up with when democracy does not vote!

The lack of voting shows non support, forcing people to the polls does nothing to improve this

Plus just cos people do not go to the polls does not mean they are lazy (some are of course) but that they just don't care and they are perfectly entitled not to care

agreed and the fact that people dont care is reflected in the amount of attention there areas get! This is why working class areas get the lowest support by politicians cause they have the lowest turnout

where as if they were forced to vote a politician could not tell!

• Advertisement

No! if you dont vote you end up with the system of voting used in the us now there is someone missing the whole point! you can have more votes then your apponent but because you have failed on the popular vote you lost!

Thats what you end up with when democracy does not vote!

No you're wrong there. They have the electoral college system, an wholeheartedly undemocratic method of election and one that is not even part of their constitution. This is actually impossible in our constitutionally enshrined, proportional representation system.

Its hardly as if voting happens many times a year! It happens every few years so it should be people have to vote. Even if thats to go up to the poll station, tick an extra box saying they're not voting for any canditate. Forcing people to vote might actually make people read up on who to vote for etc, learn their policies make the right choice for themselves. I actually enjoy voting, its something different to do. And my E20 bet for a no outcome on the lisbon vote paid off quite nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol only if we can have an exam to test that they know what they are doing when they vote too.

Fail the exam, vote doesn't count.

Of course there is no way to do that so I guess we have to put up with our current system that lets those people work instead of voting.

A better idea would be to just move elections to the weekend so people could turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Couldn't disagree more with the OP.

If you are uninformed and clueless about politics, I would encourage you not to vote.

thebman wrote: »
    lol only if we can have an exam to test that they know what they are doing when they vote too.

Fail the exam, vote doesn't count.

Of course there is no way to do that so I guess we have to put up with our current system that lets those people work instead of voting.

A better idea would be to just move elections to the weekend so people could turn up.

I've said this before. A very basic test at the very least, like say a Junior Cert CSPE exam. Fail and you lose your vote.

Some people might see this as anti-democratic or even fascistic in some ways but I can only assume the reason we get poxy government after poxy government is that people are voting for certain parties based on family allegiances or some sort of other ridiculous reason.

If people knew what they were voting on maybe we'd see some improvements, and removing votes from those totally clueless would be a starting point at the very least.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more with the OP.

If you are uninformed and clueless about politics, I would encourage you not to vote.

Yes but forcing people to vote might just force them to become informed about politics! Everyone should know who the people are that are managing our country and their taxes!

Yes but forcing people to vote might just force them to become informed about politics! Everyone should know who the people are that are managing our country and their taxes!

Being more informed could also make more people not want to vote, some of the people who vote do so based on who their parents voted for, that is uminformed to say the least

I like your idealism, but do you really think this is possible?

It may seem silly but a persons right to political freedom affords them the right to not care about this. You may be passionate about politics but if they're passionate about celebrities dancing on ice in a jungle then that's their free choice.

In a free society you cannot force someone to engage in politics even if it would force them to learn about it. Also you said "might just force them", a rather accurate statement. This too is an uncertainty.

Would you also encourage punishment for those who did not vote? Perhaps a fine which takes away the money they earned and payed taxes on? Maybe prison time to take away their social freedom... why? Because you have denied them political freedom?

The premise of the op is fundamentally flawed in a free democratic society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Morzadec wrote: »
    I've said this before. A very basic test at the very least, like say a Junior Cert CSPE exam. Fail and you lose your vote.

Some people might see this as anti-democratic or even fascistic in some ways but I can only assume the reason we get poxy government after poxy government is that people are voting for certain parties based on family allegiances or some sort of other ridiculous reason.

If people knew what they were voting on maybe we'd see some improvements, and removing votes from those totally clueless would be a starting point at the very least.

I think a half decent system would be to ask people to vote for the policies they want implemented which the candidates can agree on before hand which ones will be on the ballot (they can argue it out between them).

Candidates select what their policies are on the issues then people select which they want on the ballot paper and everything gets counted and which ever candidate gets the most votes for each of the issues added up gets elected.

I think that the above is the only way you'd prevent people voting for the same person every time is to hide who they vote for and force them to vote on policies. If two politicians have the same policies on many issues such as lowering/raising taxes then they would get the same marks and it would cancel itself out so it would make it harder to buy the election by making false promises.

It would be a nightmare to implement though :P

Advertisement