Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Girl open door to Shinners?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The FG director of elections Frank Flannery appears to have been on the piss. No article to link to yet but I just heard it said on radio that he open to the idea of bringing them onboard. Not sure under what circumstances (last ditch option I presume), needless to say several FGers got texting to decry the idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

mike65 wrote: »
    The FG director of elections Frank Flannery appears to have been on the piss. No article to link to yet but I just heard it said on radio that he open to the idea of bringing them onboard. Not sure under what circumstances (last ditch option I presume), needless to say several FGers got texting to decry the idea.

I think I just saw a pig fly past my window.
    Why would FG give FF an option to stay in power if the Greens bottle it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

That was his own personal opinion. The core support of FG would not be able to stomoch the idea any time this century.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now denied by Kenny. It was denied on TodayFM by FG HQ this morning also.

There is no chance that FG would ever consider getting into power with SF - why it was said is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

There is a brief article about it in the Wicklow People today:
    Controversy has erupted after Fine Gael's Director of Elections said his party would consider entering Government with Sinn Fein.

Speaking today, Frank Flannery said Fine Gael would be willing to work with Gerry Adams if the situation arose.

Fianna Fail said it's astounded by the comments and that it proves Fine Gael would do anything to get into power.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern says he finds it stomach-churning that a party which considers itself as the law and order party would consider such a move.

But in a statement this afternoon, party leader Enda Kenny says Frank Flannery's personal opinion is not party policy.

He said Fine Gael's position hasn't changed, and it's no intention of negotiating on a partnership with Sinn Fein.

I don't know what this Frank Flannery is playing at. He could loose them the election with this kind of statement. I really don't think it is possible that he could be right on this. I see Fianna Fail have already jumped on it as a political attempt to discredid Fine Gael. Typical :rolleyes:!!

The main reason I have against voting Labour is because of their stance on Sinn Fein the last time. The Fine Gael party should now come out and clearly state their position on this on more than just the radio. Frank Flannery should also publicly provide clarity on his statement. If this is his own personal opinion, then he is in the wrong job.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Big deal imo. Does anybody here think FF would not jump at the chance if it were them? Not half.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

Why would anyone think SF would do a deal with people who are ideological opposites? SF is opposed to gangsters and banksters. Fine Gael is loaded with the same crooks as Fianna Fail....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mfitzy

Well they, FF, could have brought them onboard last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mfitzy

Well they, FF, could have brought them onboard last time.

Could have but they did not NEED to. They took the more palatable option i.e. Greesn and a few independents.
    If they had to, no doubt they would have taken the Shinners (whom had a poor last election also)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Heatstroke has a strange affect on people. Mr Flannery should be reminded that only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

bit of a ridiculous comment by Flannery to be honest...

Amongst other reasons -
    One of the main many reasons they wouldn't go into power together:
    FG want you to vote Yes to the Lisbon Treaty
    SF want you to vote No to the Lisbon Treaty

• Advertisement

rcecil wrote: »
    Why would anyone think SF would do a deal with people who are ideological opposites? SF is opposed to gangsters

:D:D:D:D:D

Please stop, my sides are aching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

I've read a few threads talking about the FG/SF possibility before but I'm amazed anyone in the party would actually give any credence to these rumours.

I was glad to see Enda categorically rule it out on the radio and express his displeasure at the deal when put on the spot.

He couldn't have been clearer so that's me happy. Also it nice to see a politician not question dodging for once, SF candidates should take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Souljacker wrote: »
    I've read a few threads talking about the FG/SF possibility before but I'm amazed anyone in the party would actually give any credence to these rumours.

I was glad to see Enda categorically rule it out on the radio and express his displeasure at the deal when put on the spot.

He couldn't have been clearer so that's me happy. Also it nice to see a politician not question dodging for once, SF candidates should take note.

If the numbers add up(seats), expect the unexpected!

Who would of thought the Greens would go into power with FF despite them vehemently denying it before the last election?

Power corrupts, take note:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mango23

That was his own personal opinion. The core support of FG would not be able to stomoch the idea any time this century.
    Nor would Sinn Fein stomach being in power with a bunch of ex-facist blue shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I could see them teaming up to get rid of FF but as far as I'm concerned it's another good reason to vote FG despite disagreeing with them on many issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How is the same parties were all for sinn fein power sharing in the north but not here?

How is the same parties were all for sinn fein power sharing in the north but not here?
    Exactly, free staters is your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If FG were genuinely willing to go into power with SF that might actually make me consider voting for them. If this isn't true, FG will still not be getting any votes off me.

FG are only crooks, they might tax nappies by 50% this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mango23 wrote: »
    Exactly, free staters is your answer.

It might have something to do with SF not having coherent, credible policies. On the topic at hand a pretty nonsense story and a good opportunity for FF to have a go. Fairly obtuse comment to make tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rant_and_rave

If some reason SF find themselves in the driving seat then all the parties will be queuing up to deal with them. It's the nature of politics I am afraid.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It might have something to do with SF not having coherent, credible policies. On the topic at hand a pretty nonsense story and a good opportunity for FF to have a go. Fairly obtuse comment to make tbh.
    That's funny, obtuse 'eh. Listen if they had everything you said they didn't, it would still be the same song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If some reason SF find themselves in the driving seat then all the parties will be queuing up to deal with them. It's the nature of politics I am afraid.

Never was a truer word spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

gurramok wrote: »
    If the numbers add up(seats), expect the unexpected!

Who would of thought the Greens would go into power with FF despite them vehemently denying it before the last election?

Power corrupts, take note:)

I know it's a numbers game but it isn't going to happen for a number of reasons:

1. FG are not stupid enough to pull a Gormely/Sargent and expect to come out of ruling one thing before the election and then doing it post.

2. FG will never in a million years find themselves in a situation where they need SF. If they win enough seats to find themselves 4-6 off an overall majority a mixture of Greens and independents will more than equal anything SF have to offer.
    If FG are anymore off the target of an overall majority they'll go in with labour.
    Even in the unlikely occasion of FG and Labour not winning 83 seats they'll take the greens and/or Independents before SF

3. Their leader has categorically expressed that they will not go in with SF. He couldn’t have been any clear this morning.

Different governmental situation. NI is not a mature enough democracy to allow majority rule. Power sharing was the only feasible way of having devolved power.

The south has no such problem and so all the political parties are free to choose who they go into power with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Was very glad to hear Enda Kenny categorically ruling out FG ever going into power with SF under his tenureship. As long as Sinn Féin has no new or innovative policies and refuses to condemn the killing of a garda, Kenny is dead right to close the door on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mango23 wrote: »
    Nor would Sinn Fein stomach being in power with a bunch of ex-facist blue shirts.
    Considering SF have had their own illegal private army on the go for many decades now, the irony of that statement isn't lost on me ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

This is a real non-story as you say. It's just politics.

If the next election had results like this:

FG 74
    FF 43
    Lab 31
    SF 10
    Green 2
    Indos 6

Then the main coalition possibilities would be

FG/Lab 105
    FF/Lab/SF 84
    FG/SF 84

105 is way too big a majority, too many restless backbenchers with nothing to do, FG would have to give Labour too many Cabinet seats, too much one-upmanship between the two parties, it probably wouldn't work out. FG would on those numbers seriously start considering FG/SF, maybe propped up by surviving Greens and Indos - and they would have to because FF/Lab would already be talking to them and if FG flatly ruled it out they'd soon find themselves back in Opposition looking forlornly over at the new FF/Lab/Green/SF ABFG Government...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is a non-runner. Its just simply not possible for many reasons besides the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

grenache wrote: »
    Considering SF have had their own illegal private army on the go for many decades now,

"had". So did part of the Labour party. They've moved on......

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    "had". So did part of the Labour party. They've moved on......

A lot of people remain unconvinced of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement