Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping a Samoyed - have you done it?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

I know that technically your not supposed to clip a samoyed. But has any of you done it ?

What were the results, e.g hair growth afterwards.

Saw one before where coat was grown back after being clipped and it seemed ok.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I havn't done it (esp since don't have y Sammy yet ;) ) but definitly interested in any responses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

A couple of years back my dad did a diy job on our samoyed during the summer months! Just wanted to make him more comfortable. Didn't take whole lot off the coat and it didn't look great, but the dog was soooooo much happier! Coat had grown back to normal again by end of summer.

I know you're not meant to clip samoyeds and from an aesthetic point of view I don't think I'd recommend it. But as I said, our one was a different dog once it had been done - way more playful and active.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think the coat acts as insulation against the hot weather too and it can damage the coat in the long term if done regularly..I think. Perhaps have a chat to a good groomer that knows their stuff and see what they say. They may just say to keep him well brushed and cool. Taking him for walks early in the morning and in the evening rather than in the heat of the day etc.

Freezing plain yogurts, making ice pops from beef stock or the like and frozen kongs etc. will help keep him cool.

Advertisement