Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A:Fan-protest furore overshadows Maldini swansong

• 31-05-2009 12:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Oreview
    AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini wraps up his remarkable career at Fiorentina on Sunday (1300 GMT) with Serie A's last automatic Champions League slot up for grabs but the swansong has been overshadowed by a fan protest.
    Click Here

Maldini was accused of lacking respect to his club's supporters in a large banner shown as the 40-year-old did a lap of honour at the end of his San Siro goodbye last week, a 3-2 defeat by AS Roma.

Third-placed Milan need a draw at fourth-placed Fiorentina to be sure of going directly into the group stage of next season's Champions League.

The defender, who helped Milan win Europe's top club competition win five times in his 24-year career, admitted he was upset.

"I was a wounded man," Maldini told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "The stadium was full of families and 70,000 people who were cheering me. It's a shame those 500 ruined the party."

The former Italy captain was also unhappy he did not receive more public support from the club.

"The club's silence (disappointed me)," he said.

"I didn't like it that no one took a position. From the president (Silvio Berlusconi) down, not one of the directors said a word. I think a club like Milan should disassociate itself from certain episodes."

Chief Executive Adriano Galliani replied in a open letter to Maldini on the club website saying that they thought silence was the best way to combat this sort of behaviour.

The player said he did not know why the group of 'ultra' fans had staged the protest.

He speculated it might have been prompted by a heated exchange with fans at the airport returning from Milan's 2005 Champions League final loss to Liverpool or comments he made in 2007 criticising some 'ultras' for failing to support the team.

While Milan need a point to be sure of avoiding a Champions League qualifier, a defeat by one goal may suffice if second-placed Juventus, who are already sure of a group stage place, draw or win against Lazio.

Sunday's match in Florence may also be the last one at Milan for coach Carlo Ancelotti, who is being linked to Premier League Chelsea.

Ancelotti said he would learn his fate on Monday, adding that he would like to stay on if the club want him.

Goodbyes could also be in store for Pavel Nedved when Juventus take on his former side Lazio in Turin, although speculation is increasing that the Czech winger may go back on his decision to retire at the end of the season.

Luis Figo may bow out too in champions Inter Milan's home game against Atalanta, as his contract is running out and he has not decided whether he will keep on playing.

Aside from Fiorentina and Milan's tussle for European positions, the only other issue to resolve on the season's last weekend will be whether Torino or Bologna go down to Serie B with Reggina and Lecce.

The two clubs both have 34 points but Bologna will stay up as long as they match Torino's result at Roma when they face Catania at home thanks to a better record in the head-to-heads.

To make matters worse for Torino, seven of their players are suspended, including five who were given bans of between two and four matches for being involved in a brawl at the end of last week's 3-2 defeat by Genoa.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009
    Time Home Away VENUE
    14:00 UK Internazionale v Atalanta Giuseppe Meazza
    14:00 UK Udinese v Cagliari Friuli
    14:00 UK Bologna v Catania Renato Dall'Ara
    14:00 UK Napoli v Chievo Verona San Paolo
    14:00 UK Juventus v Lazio Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino
    14:00 UK Genoa v Lecce Comunale Luigi Ferraris
    14:00 UK Fiorentina v AC Milan Artemio Franchi
    14:00 UK Palermo v Sampdoria Renzo Barbera
    14:00 UK Reggina v Siena Stadio Oreste Granillo
    14:00 UK AS Roma v Torino Olimpico

I think Juve have a good chance of getting second. It will be tough but I think AC will have the harder game.

I'm also hoping Bologna will stay up. Always liked them as a team

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What exactly did the banner say anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

keane2097 wrote: »
    What exactly did the banner say anyone know?

"Baresi is the only real captain" or "the only real number 6", I'm not 100% though.

Another said something like "this is what you get for calling the people who made you what you are mercenaries".

"Baresi is the only real captain" or "the only real number 6", I'm not 100% though.

Another said something like "this is what you get for calling the people who made you what you are mercenaries".

knobheads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

''Thank you captain. On the field you were a never-ending champion but you lacked respect for those who made you rich"

and ''theres only one captain, thats Baresi''

im not 100% sure tho! IDIOTS. The man is a legend. simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

''Thank you captain. On the field you were a never-ending champion but you lacked respect for those who made you rich"

im not 100% sure tho! IDIOTS. The man is a legend. simple as.

He did blame them for Milan's collapse in the 2005 final so their anger can be understood

• Advertisement

apoch632 wrote: »
    He did blame them for Milan's collapse in the 2005 final so their anger can be understood

I suspect this isnt the full story and no it can't be understood. Its stupid. He played at the club for his WHOLE career. Is club captain and one of the best players of his generation, probably ever.

Bollox that it can be understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Have a bet with a couple of friends from last summer that Milan wouldn't make the top 2 this year.

C'mon Juve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Are people just making up what they think the banner said in here?

What it actually said was:

"For your 25 glorious years you're thanked by those who you defined as mercenaries and tramps"

And the leader of their ultras said:

“It was not a protest,” he insisted. “We just wanted to make it clear what we thought about some of his comments and behaviour over the past years. We were not protesting against him at all.”

Plus there was no words about Baresi, just a big Baresi 6 banner. So where people can get words from that I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGk8WFdsRH8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The above is what was reported in most papers last weekend.
    podge018 wrote: »

Whats worse is that Milan didnt say anything about it. The Ultras have a very big influence in what goes on in football over there

"For your 25 glorious years you're thanked by those who you defined as mercenaries and tramps"

“It was not a protest,” he insisted. “We just wanted to make it clear what we thought about some of his comments and behaviour over the past years. We were not protesting against him at all.”

Plus there was no words about Baresi, just a big Baresi 6 banner. So where people can get words from that I don't know.

I think I made it abudantly clear that I wasn't sure what it said.

Fact is, Maldini himself was offended and upset. Thats all that matters. And to offend someone who gave everything he had to the club in that manner on the day of his last match is unforgivable imo. Where is the respect?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What a joke. The man is a legend. He deserves far more respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Does anybody have any quotes/articles of what Maldini said originally that got the ultras so worked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Bologna are looking like they are staying up:2 goals to the good againts Catania.

Reggina are a goal to the good against Siena,but they need Bologna to lose.

Juve look like they will hold on to second,a goal to the good against Lazio.

Milan are still in third,currently goal-less at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.Flamini hit the Crossbar with a right foot strike from outside of the box and Zambrotta had a low shot palmed away by Frey.Fiore have had most of the ball but have done little with it.

And Maldini recieved a standing ovation at the start of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I heard this was one of the reasons why Pep Guardiola dedicated the Champions League win to Maldini. Such disrespect is a disgrace, regardless of how long you served a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I heard this was one of the reasons why Pep Guardiola dedicated the Champions League win to Maldini. Such disrespect is a disgrace, regardless of how long you served a club.

Does disrespect only go one way?

This is ver much like the way Zidane sticking the head in Materazzi was passed off because it was Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Does disrespect only go one way?

This is ver much like the way Zidane sticking the head in Materazzi was passed off because it was Zidane.

Ah now!Maldini spoke the truth when he accused the Ultras of not getting behind the team.The Ultras have interfered too long in Italy,they dont like it when they get the abuse.

Maldini is a true gentleman.A huge loss for the italian game.

Btw,Milan beat Fiore 2-0 and Ancelotti has left Milan with Leonardo taking over.

Grazie Carlo!
    Grazie Paolo!

Advertisement