Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The poster tactics were just the beginning

Options
  • 31-05-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

As much as it dismays me to even suggest this, particularly as the criminal ineptitude of this current and previous FF governments becomes all too apparent, alas I feel FF will still poll much better than the apocolyptic predictions of various media outlets and opinion polls.

Why?

Something that happened to me yesterday. I was in my mothers house doing some painting and my mother, a non political lifelong FF voter who had said that in light of recent events and with much persuasion by me said she would no longer vote FF "just becuse", stunned me yesterday by stating she would be voting for Charlie Ardagh. I asked her why and she said that he came to the door, charmed her and all her neighbours, and promised to plant some trees and such. She said he seemed like a great fella who would be getting her and all her neighbours, (all older women, mainly widows) vote, but here is the crucial thing....

When I said that I couldnt accept that for the sake of a few trees she would be voting FF again, she said "FF, I thought he was on his own...."

Sure enough I looked at some of the literature and the FF logo and affiliation was so small as to be completely unnoticeable. Also despite being flanked by other canvassers, it was apparent that the policy was not to mention the party at all and essentially try to charm (trick) these people into voting for Charlie Ardagh whom they would believe was an honest non party affiliated champion of the people.

The dishonesty of these canvassers and the dirty tricks knows no bounds. If a charity collector came to the door, one would expect them to show a badge with an easily identifiable logo, but as my mothers understanding of the situation proved, the FF brand was well hidden and the underhanded tactics of these snake oil salesmen worked a charm:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

But Sean Ardagh isn't running for election...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

population wrote: »
    Also despite being flanked by other canvassers, it was apparent that the policy was not to mention the party at all and essentially try to charm (trick) these people into voting for Sean Ardagh.....

You're reading waaaaay too much into it.
    Sean Ardagh is a sitting TD and he isn't canvassing for himself.
    He is out getting support for Catherine Ardagh, a first time local election candidate.

So how is your mother going to vote for Sean Ardagh then? How were your elderly neighbours tricked into voting for somebody who won't be on the ballot paper??
    I've read many rants about FF candidates and TD's but this is one that isn't warranted.

You are correct that FF candidates are downplaying their party affiliation.
    But one they thing aren't doing is tricking people to vote for people who aren't standing for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Apologies for saying Sean, I meant Charlie Ardagh who IS running in these elections.

Was a slightly sleepy post and was an honest mistake. Apologies to Sean.

My point remains the same

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Fianna Failures will do anything to get elected - not suprised by the above.

Advertisement