Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax

Options
  • 31-05-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Halifax from BOI, i have a few problems with them so far.

1. With the credit card the transactions cannot be displayed on internet banking.
    2. Where i have completed atm withdrawals in some instances the money is not taken from my account for 5 days so it is difficult to keep track of balance.
    3. They said they would be increasing branches when they first arrived, as far as i can see they have no intention of doing this.

Does any other Halifax customers feel the same? I know there are other benefits to there accounts such as free fees overdraft facility etc. Thinking of moving to aib as there online systems seems perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes the visa credit card transactions are annoying, its the reason i canceled the credit card, but i still kept the current account.

I find the online banking fine. The interest is nice also. It was probably costing them more than they thought, or not making enough to consider opening more branches. They do have longer opening hours than other banks tho.

Ive never noticed a delay with transactions appearing, its normally next day. Sometimes when you use the small instore atm's like spar or centra they seem to take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Agree with what you've said, esp regarding the credit card. I moved from AIB to Halifax but would never move back.

AIB charge you for the privelege of keeping your money with them, charge you for every transaction on the ATM. Anytime I had to call into the bank the queues were either ridiculously long, or the bank had closed early / opened late etc. Never have any problems like that with Halifax, staff are all very friendly and informed and eager to help out plus they're open until 5pm and on Saturdays. Don't think the credit card online issue is enough to go back to AIB.

Regarding transactions not appearing for 5 days - this can be annoying but I just keep track of it myself, or if you look at Available Balance rather than Current Balance, that normally is taking into account any transactions which haven't appeared on the account yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

AIB charge you for the privelege of keeping your money with them, charge you for every transaction on the ATM. Anytime I had to call into the bank the queues were either ridiculously long, or the bank had closed early / opened late etc. Never have any problems like that with Halifax, staff are all very friendly and informed and eager to help out plus they're open until 5pm and on Saturdays. Don't think the credit card online issue is enough to go back to AIB.

It is very easy to get free banking with AIB, one only needs to pay one bill via the web a month, and make one POS transaction...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It is very easy to get free banking with AIB, one only needs to pay one bill via the web a month, and make one POS transaction...

i get free banking with permanent tsb by doing nothing......

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

But to make a POS transaction you need a laser or credit card - which you need to pay for separately afaik (unless they've changed recently). With Halifax your ATM card is also a VISA debit card. And you don't need to do anything extra to get fee free banking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

jockey#1 wrote: »
    1. With the credit card the transactions cannot be displayed on internet banking.
    Had the same problem with. Tried to cancel - it took about 6 months a whole load of letters/phonecalls/complaints before they would eventually cancel the card - good luck with that.
    3. They said they would be increasing branches when they first arrived, as far as i can see they have no intention of doing this.

A lot has happened since then. Halifax is now owned by her majesty's government. The british taxpayer will be pulling Halifax back. They have already recently abandoned the irish mortgage market.

AIB charge you for the privelege of keeping your money with them, charge you for every transaction on the ATM.

Funny, they never charge me. Never. You do realise they offer free banking if you want it?
    Anytime I had to call into the bank the queues were either ridiculously long, or the bank had closed early / opened late etc.

I'd rather a branch down the road with queues than no branch at all. Anyway, why do you need to go to a branch. The only time I've needed branch in the past 5 years was when getting my mortgage (and you don't queue when you make an appointment).
    Never have any problems like that with Halifax, staff are all very friendly and informed and eager to help out plus they're open until 5pm and on Saturdays.

Funny, have several different products with AIB over the years. In general, the Service has been perfect. The only time I can remeber there being issues was when I was getting my mortgage, there seemed to be a lack of communication between the branch and the mortgage unit.

I've only had one product with Halifax, and ended up having three different issues. First was, as mentioned above, they have no online banking facilities for their credit card, even thought they always kept saying that they would "in a few months". The second was that they never sent me out my PIN. Everytime I would ring up, they would promise to send it out. They had no problem sending out the bills, so it wasn't a mistake with the address! And the Third (also mentioned) was when I eventually saidto hell with this, they wouldn't let me cancel. I mean they said they would, but as soon as the conversation ended, they would just do nothing, leaving my card active (open to fraud and tax liabilities). Their customer service was on a par with NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But to make a POS transaction you need a laser or credit card - which you need to pay for separately afaik (unless they've changed recently). With Halifax your ATM card is also a VISA debit card. And you don't need to do anything extra to get fee free banking.

No charge for ATM or POS charge, cept Stamp Duty, which Halixfax would also have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Haven't had any real issues with them. Transactions don't take all that much longer than other banks, in my experience.

Credit card is annoying, but I've a fair idea why that's causing them difficulty - HBOS dont operate the Halifax Ireland card themselves, so I'd imagine getting a third party sysrtem to talk to theirs is being problematic, though they really should have sorted it out by now.

Service wise, it's all been AOK for me - I'm certainly not regretting my choice to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Hi Guys,

2. Where i have completed atm withdrawals in some instances the money is not taken from my account for 5 days so it is difficult to keep track of balance.

The credit card is irritating alright.
    Regarding the ATM, although it can take 5 days for the actual transaction to show, you can see your available balance at the top of the screen. This is updated as soon as you make a transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Been with halifax a year, never had an issue. Actually its great when i go in there (not often and mostly lunchtime), never a queue and if i need a question answered they seem very clued up.

Ive noticed that some transactions from atms dont show for up to 5 days but this is an issue with where the money was taken out, rather than halifax themselves, which someone mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Have to say I've only had excellent service from them a world apart from boi/aib/tsb who over the years all caused me a world of pain.

i don't really use my cc very often and have a DD setup to pay it off in full every month if i do so that aspect doesn't bother me.

also they open on saturdays which is fantastic and on the rare ocassion i went into a branch i was greeted with a smile and very knowedlable staff...

the way it should be.

Advertisement