Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Island , Washington Street Ridiculous dress code

Options
  • 31-05-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Ok was in there last night with a group of friends bout 7 of us,
    2 of the lads wear earings small ones you would barely notice really , bouncer left them in no problem ,we are a pretty quiet group, in there about half hour manager comes up tells them to take out the earings or get out, lads just said ya and didnt do it.
    Another half hour later hes back he demands they take them out in front of him and dont put them back in .
    All this time im saying to them dont take them out he has no right to ask you to remove them , tell him no , tell him why your refusing to and tell him he can ring the guards if he has a problem.
    Lads took them out not wanting to cause hassle and get us all kicked out . I wouldnt of minded them attempting to kick me out .
    What a ridiculous policy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Thats pathetic in this day and age, I was stopped at Havanas before for that, needless to say they've reviewed that policy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Was it in the gay ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Couldnt even tell ya which ear i dont even take notice , well neither of them are gay so id hope not in the gay ear???:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's fairly mental tbh.

EDIT: I'd actually be calling in to see the manager today or making a phone call to complain.

It seemed to me like he was the manager!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It seemed to me like he was the manager!!

Yeah so I'd be calling in today to tell him that his behaviour is unacceptable.

Mostly you'll find that a manager will be much more accommodating in the cold light of day and willing to accept that he messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

why would anybody want to drink in pretentious places like that is beyond me:rolleyes:

wasnt by choice was a friends bday and he got to pick .
    I dunno a few of the girls i was talking to have been stopped a few times at the door by the same guy , whos said things such as " No short skirts allowed" when they were wearing slighty short skirts but nothin too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Milky Joe

why would anybody want to drink in pretentious places like that is beyond me:rolleyes:

very true. what a stuck up place makes me sick (well nearly)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Dress code is Dress code. Manager is responsible at the end of the day.
    If my bosses set down a dress code of no ear rings on men Id enforce it.
    Its part of his job. Remember Manager != Owner.

And also, telling him theyd take them out and not doing it is just going to wind him up and thats the impression thats remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

castie wrote: »
    Dress code is Dress code. Manager is responsible at the end of the day.
    If my bosses set down a dress code of no ear rings on men Id enforce it.
    Its part of his job. Remember Manager != Owner.

And also, telling him theyd take them out and not doing it is just going to wind him up and thats the impression thats remembered.

I disagree... dress code is dress code for a doorman, but once people are inside then the manager has the luxury of using a bit of discretion. Hassling your paying customers unnecessarily and potentially causing a scene is bad for business (aside from this thread, which has 267 views so far, each one of those 7 guys has been telling the story about Long Island) and it is completely uncalled for in the case of something so simple as two guys wearing studs in a dimly lit room. My guess is the manager saw a group of 7 young fellas with hair too short and that he thought it would be better if ye went somewhere else, and used the earrings as a premise. Bad form either way, imo, the manager can tell the doorman "crack down on the groups of groups of youg lads, and no tolerance on the earrings" for next time, but unless the guys are causing trouble, making noise etc, they should be left alone once they've already been allowed inside.

And I agree... what were ye doing in the Long Island in the first place??

And also, what is the gay ear? I never heard of it.

Also, I support the guys saying "ya" that they would take them out to the manager and not doing so.... it is better than flat out saying "no we won't take them out" or demurely complying with his unreasonable demand. It is a way of getting rid of him peacefully, under the reasonable assumption that he's not going to be back in 30mins to check. I bet the manager was a very short man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Illkillya wrote: »

Also, I support the guys saying "ya" that they would take them out to the manager and not doing so.... it is better than flat out saying "no we won't take them out" or demurely complying with his unreasonable demand. It is a way of getting rid of him peacefully, under the reasonable assumption that he's not going to be back in 30mins to check. I bet the manager was a very short man.

When we were Kids anyone with their right ear pierced was automatically Gay.

As i said friends bday so he picked us lads happened to arrive first he picked there cause most of the girls coming in fancied a cocktail and it didnt bother us as its near to clubs etc , and this incident occured before most of the gfs etc arrived it was around 10 or maybe bit before , in fairness all of us are mid 20s all dress and act well , bouncer had no bother with any of us no id check or anythin and we were sitting near the door with the bouncer on so if we were causing bother he wouldnt be long saying it .

Your right manager was a short enuf guy. I think they have just got another award this year , but in fairness their competitors are catching up soho is defo working on their cocktail making , a few of the bar staff in bar bucha in the mardyke are handy too.

Was in soho last night for bit of dinner and a drink and i found all their staff to be incredibly nice from the door men to the waiter to the bar staff , nice group of people workin there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

uh i've seen people off their faces in there! (not talking about alcohol)
    I never really liked it in there, the place thinks it's something it's not tbh and the layout of the bar is totally wrong, the atmosphere is a bit wrong, not my cup of tea at all!

uh i've seen people off their faces in there! (not talking about alcohol)
    I never really liked it in there, the place thinks it's something it's not tbh and the layout of the bar is totally wrong, the atmosphere is a bit wrong, not my cup of tea at all!

Im not a fan either tbh never was id rather head down to bar bucha at least you can relax there game of pool or whatever i like how chilled out it is there

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

The place seems to be going downhill alot in the last couple years,the novelty has worn off and so have the same old faces.
    I feel they are living of what they have done in the past and not what they are able to do now...
    The earing thing is a joke as most of there barstaff wear earings and what not so its cant be one rule for them and another for the rest,id say they didnt like the look of yee for some reason,I would file a complaint though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I disagree... dress code is dress code for a doorman, but once people are inside then the manager has the luxury of using a bit of discretion. Hassling your paying customers unnecessarily and potentially causing a scene is bad for business (aside from this thread, which has 267 views so far, each one of those 7 guys has been telling the story about Long Island) and it is completely uncalled for in the case of something so simple as two guys wearing studs in a dimly lit room. My guess is the manager saw a group of 7 young fellas with hair too short and that he thought it would be better if ye went somewhere else, and used the earrings as a premise. Bad form either way, imo, the manager can tell the doorman "crack down on the groups of groups of youg lads, and no tolerance on the earrings" for next time, but unless the guys are causing trouble, making noise etc, they should be left alone once they've already been allowed inside.

Again though, Manager is working for someone and it is him who will get the flak if say the owner did come in. So he doesnt have the luxury to decide not to do what his boss has said. If someone wants to cause a scene in a bar when they are asked to conform to a dress code then its a bit sad.

Again though, Manager is working for someone and it is him who will get the flak if say the owner did come in. So he doesnt have the luxury to decide not to do what his boss has said. If someone wants to cause a scene in a bar when they are asked to conform to a dress code then its a bit sad.
    I think the point is the dress code in question, since when is a earing a problem in any establishment and i would have no problem making a scene if asked to remove said item , why? because i am well within my legal rights to wear it, and noone has the right to ask you to remove it. I have no problem being stopped at the door and told what the problem is . But everyone of us dresses well, and between us and the gfs would spend a hefty wad of cash in a night. Ah their loss its much quieter in there now than it was a year or two ago . I wonder why? :p

I disagree again, it is the difference between blindly following things to a T and using some discretion/having a bit of cop. It is often better for business to let small things like this slide, especially when you are the manager. If the owner did come in, I would be hugely surprised if he gave flak to the manager simply because two guys have little ear rings, maybe would speak to the doormen about it.

And again I don't think their reaction was in anyway sad; if this thread was about guys being stopped at the door for wearing ear rings then I would not posting, but the fact is that they had already been allowed in with the ear rings on. So it is bad business to unnecessarily hassle the paying customers who have already been allowed into the place. I would certainly be very pissed off about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

In my experience as a door man, once you let them in then you have to find good reason to kick them out.

The only legally safe excuse a bouncer can use to kick anyone out is that you feel the person is intoxicated. Even if the person hasn't had a drop you can't be done for it, as it's not really quantifiable in court.

Also, I wouldn't drink there either, it's fully of namby pamby pompous gowl bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

because earrings look scummy thats why.i work in a middle of the road pub all ages and when young lads come in with their "bling"..or 2 earrings they are asked lads get rid of the earrings,and if they do it they treated very nicely.however you get the odd fella will act the hardman so then its a case of go to another pub lads

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i remember when i worked in reardens/havanas finding a sheet from a bouncers meeting on dress codes, they were told all sorts of silly things such as not letting in women with very heavy eye make-up or mother daughter pairs (where d'auld wan gets the under 23 daughter in and then fecks off)....
    I think that some places SHOULD have dress codes and enforce them but AT THE DOOR.... and in a nicer and professional non thug way....

i also think that the dress codes in places like reardens are a total joke when they encourage their staff to beat one anothers sales- seeing as they can only fit so many in the door that involves getting more drink into the same number of persons.

I found one girl in the toilets after closing, she had vomited all over her clothes, and her jeans and knickers were around her ankles. I had to climb into the cubicle to help her and pull her underpants/pants up. In the process the unfortunate girls bowels moved... The dress code only applies on the way in obviously.... i can only assumed that on the way in she looked MUCH better than when she was placed outside the door semi-conscious.
    *rant over*
    if you want to go to "nice/trendy" places then you have to accept that they must keep a dress code in order to attract the kind of clientele you want to be around.
    otherwise you'd just go to the brog.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Unnecessary arseism.

I am always amused by bars that impose a sometimes bizarre dress code and then let people behave like total assholes once they get in. Long Island isn't that bad, but isn't great either.

Soho, however, is awful. Why they cannot get rid of the sexual-harassment-brigade is beyond me. I really don't want to spend my night out by an overweight drunken check-shirted guy in his early 40s constantly pestering me who won't go away. No wonder the gay clubs are full of straight women.

The earring thing is a bit silly. I know plenty of straight guys who are not rough but wear an earring or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

shoegirl wrote: »
    Unnecessary arseism.

I am always amused by bars that impose a sometimes bizarre dress code and then let people behave like total assholes once they get in. Long Island isn't that bad, but isn't great either.

Soho, however, is awful. Why they cannot get rid of the sexual-harassment-brigade is beyond me. I really don't want to spend my night out by an overweight drunken check-shirted guy in his early 40s constantly pestering me who won't go away. No wonder the gay clubs are full of straight women.

The earring thing is a bit silly. I know plenty of straight guys who are not rough but wear an earring or three.

from workiing in bars for years and years,you do know if you are been pestered by someone all you have to do is tell a bouncer or a barman and they will deal with it quickly!
    or just ask him toi go away maybe?
    just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charlybird

I have my lip pierced and many ear piercings, I go to long island every weekend and have never been asked to leave and have always gotten a nice welcome from bartenders and bouncers alike. You must have been acting not so nicely. They have never been anything but nice in there to me and my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

shoegirl wrote: »
    I really don't want to spend my night out by an overweight drunken check-shirted guy in his early 40s constantly pestering me who won't go away.
    quote]

Yeh, sorry bout that. If I hadn't had so much to drink, I'd never
    have pinched your ass. I mean, its not as if I'm Italian or anything! :D

Charlybird wrote: »
    I have my lip pierced and many ear piercings, I go to long island every weekend and have never been asked to leave and have always gotten a nice welcome from bartenders and bouncers alike. You must have been acting not so nicely. They have never been anything but nice in there to me and my friends.

If you bothered to read the post you would know that
    1. No problem with barstaff or bouncers they were sound out .
    2. We were sitting next to the door so if we werent acting nice the bouncer wouldnt be long in noticing.
    3. Its only a manager that said it no other member of staff said a word.
    4. Behaviour was perfect all on 1st drink of the night a nicely behaved group , there was only 4 or 5 of us there when he asked them to take it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charlybird

The staff inside there have multiple piercings, the boys and girls. If the manager had any problem with piercings do you really think that he would hire staff with piercings.

• Advertisement

Charlybird wrote: »
    The staff inside there have multiple piercings, the boys and girls. If the manager had any problem with piercings do you really think that he would hire staff with piercings.

How would i possibly know who or why the managers hire people or why would i care , i know the staff have piercings its already been said. Im just posting on a negative treatment we recieved from just the manager for no reason whatsoever.
    Grand Bar
    Grand staff
    Grand bouncers
    Excellent Drinks
    Just the one negative experience with one sad manager thats all im saying no need to defend the place like we are slagging it off.
    It was defo a manager cause he went from us to behind the bar , seen him goin out front to bouncer a few times .

Advertisement