Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor tax Campervan

Options
  • 31-05-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Guys am new to the forum im thinking of buying a second hand campervan could anyone tell me what the road tax is for the year,is it based on engine size or a set amount, sorry if this has been answered already ive been doing a lot of looking and can see it
    thanks
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It's fixed at €85 (or very close to it) for all motorhomes regardless of size.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Cruelsphere

Thanks Kol thats gud news i thought it was based on engine size, cheers tom

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

What's their definition of a motorhome, does it have to have a loo etc? Was wondering if the €85ish would apply to an Astro Day Van but I don't think it fits into this category. Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Sorry, but the rate of motor tax has gone up - just had to renew. TIme to take out a second mortgage guys.........
    Eur 88 Now!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 berdowd

Hi Guys…anyone abroad in Europe at the moment unable to renew their motor tax on their camper van ? I have my post sent out to me and the tax renewal form does not give me a PIN number in order to pay online !! So how do I pay the 88 euro tax ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

berdowd wrote: »
    Hi Guys…anyone abroad in Europe at the moment unable to renew their motor tax on their camper van ? I have my post sent out to me and the tax renewal form does not give me a PIN number in order to pay online !! So how do I pay the 88 euro tax ????

go to motortax.ie and click on PIN retrieval on the home page. You will get a PIN. Otherwise leave it till you get back as you will still pay the same anyway.

the online motor tax will not give me my pin number..why it says I am ineligible for a pin number I just don't know !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought it wouldn't let you do it online anymore, as you have to show a current DOE to tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You probably won't get a PIN if tax is more than a month out of date.

No need to produce proof of test as it's now automated in line with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No need to produce proof of test as it's now automated in line with cars.
    That'll learn me to pay attention to "the last word" thread! So they now post the CRW out as well?

• Advertisement

….soooooo….what exactly is the solution to my problem then …I am traveling in Europe after all….

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That'll learn me to pay attention to "the last word" thread! So they now post the CRW out as well?

They do indeed. I got mine through the post 3 days after the test! then had to buy a 3 pocket disc holder.

Slowly dragging themselves into the 21st century:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

There are many 'angles' to this question.
    If the Road Tax expires, no matter where you are, if you are late renewing it you will be required to pay the back tax plus penalties. The old way of getting the Guards to sign that the vehicle was off road is history.

In addition to having to pay the back tax and penalties you are still liable to be prosecuted for using an untaxed vehicle on the road between getting off the ferry and getting it taxed.

The RSA's CoVIS (Commercial Vehicle Information System), remember the RSA in their wisdom consider motorhomes to be commercial vehicles :confused:, holds details which includes if the vehicle has a valid CRW, if it hasn't it cant be taxes, just like it is for cars not having a valid NCT cert.

So if your tax expires and your CRW has already expired then you cant get the vehicle taxed until you get a new CRW.

It is a commonly held view, though possibly wrong, that as our road tax is a local Irish tax using a vehicle without current tax in foreign countries will be of no concern to local police forces. It is said that if the tax is expired the disc is best removed so as not to draw attention to its elapsed date.

There is also a question surrounding declaring the vehicle off road Form RF 150. The fact the the vehicle may be being used in a 'public place' in another jurisdiction raised the question of the pertinence of local Irish taxation legislation outside of Ireland, remember Road Tax as we know it is not an EU requirement.
    Example: if spending the winter in Spain what law says you can't declare the vehicle off road (in Ireland) for the period it will be out of the country, just be sure the start and end dates are while you are away, otherwise you could be persecuted for using a vehicle 'in a public place' when travelling to or from the ferry.

If the vehicles CRW expires while away that may well cause difficulties for your insurance and also being an EU requirement could also cause difficulties with local law enforcement.

berdowd wrote: »
    ….soooooo….what exactly is the solution to my problem then …I am traveling in Europe after all….

Anyone can tax it for you so perhaps download, print the form, fill it in and send it to a friend back here to tax it for you perhaps? but then how would it get back to you as you have no postal address where you are?.

Bit of a sticky problem.

I'm assuming that the test is current/valid of course.

Anyone can tax it for you so perhaps download, print the form, fill it in and send it to a friend back here to tax it for you perhaps? but then how would it get back to you as you have no postal address where you are?.

Bit of a sticky problem.

I'm assuming that the test is current/valid of course.

No need to have it posted out, the local plod is not interested.

niloc1951 wrote: »

It is a commonly held view, though possibly wrong, that as our road tax is a local Irish tax using a vehicle without current tax in foreign countries will be of no concern to local police forces. It is said that if the tax is expired the disc is best removed so as not to draw attention to its elapsed date.

But now you're saying that local plod won't be interested, so if the commonly held view (your words) is wrong? would it be worth the risk? not in my book.

Anyone can tax it for me ??..not too sure about that one….last time I seem to remember having to produce my licence/ ID etc but I could be wrong …..then there still remains the problem of who has 88 euro to pay out just like that..

I've never had to produce I.D. when taxing camper or car. When you think about it anyone can do it on line without proving who they are.

The tax is now €102 and don't forget that as soon as you bring the camper off the ferry here you will need to have it taxed, so ".. who has the €'s to pay out just like that" is really not the point. It's a small amount compared to car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

a while ago i done i bit of work in the UK i used a Irish reg car when i came home i dint take the car when the tax ran out i didnt renew it .it drove the local plod mad but they couldn seen to do any thing about it . But when i brought it back it had to be taxed . That was back when you just had to go to the local station and get it signed off Im not sure how it would work now.

But now you're saying that local plod won't be interested, so if the commonly held view (your words) is wrong? would it be worth the risk? not in my book.
    Different context.
    If the vehicle is taxed the lack of a disc on the windscreen will be of no concern to the foreign plod, but the vehicle is fully legal by Irish requirements, it is after all taxed.
    Driving with expired tax is a different issue and which may not be of concern to foreign plod either.
    Foreign plod is not charged with enforcing Irish law, for example is Irish plod charged with enforcing Spanish or Italian law ?

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Different context.
    If the vehicle is taxed the lack of a disc on the windscreen will be of no concern to the foreign plod, but the vehicle is fully legal by Irish requirements, it is after all taxed.
    Driving with expired tax is a different issue and which may not be of concern to foreign plod either.
    Foreign plod is not charged with enforcing Irish law, for example is Irish plod charged with enforcing Spanish or Italian law ?

I'm quite happy to stand corrected but I thought that a vehicle had to be legally entitled to be on the road in its own country in order to use it in another EU country.

berdowd has, by the sound of things, a vehicle currently not taxed therefore not legal here in Ireland. Surely that is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Best bet is call one of the smaller offices have always found castlebar helpful. They might be able to give you a pin.

I'm quite happy to stand corrected but I thought that a vehicle had to be legally entitled to be on the road in its own country in order to use it in another EU country.

berdowd has, by the sound of things, a vehicle currently not taxed therefore not legal here in Ireland. Surely that is the issue.

In the case of tax issues is it not the owner/driver who is committing the offence of using the vehicle in a public place under Irish law, Irish law can have no roll in requiring that a tax must be paid in Ireland to use a vehicle in another jurisdiction.
    There is no law being contravened if the vehicle itself complies with all roadworthiness requirements and and it's driver is compliant with the road traffic regulations of the host country.

As countries have yet to share vehicle and driver data there is no way for a plod in Spain to know if an Irish vehicle is taxed or not, would he/she even know or care how that particular system of tax collection works.

Incidentally the Spanish equivalent to our road tax is a municipal tax on the vehicle (like the local rates on property here), not a state tax. Any unpaid tax must be cleared with any penalties due for late payment before the vehicle can be sold. The debt passes to an unwary buyer who buys a vehicle with overdue tax outstanding.

Perhaps someone who knows a member of An Garda might get it 'straight from the horses mouth' of what their official roll is with regard to foreign vehicle here not displaying something which looks like a tax disc and how the driver of a foreign vehicle without current tax (if such a tax exits in its country of registration) is treated with regard to prosecution under Irish law.

Advertisement