Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local eircom engineer + pair gains

Options
  • 31-05-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi all ,

Thought i would share this with you all. Rang eircom sales about 4 weeks ago and ordered a phone line and told them i wanted it for broadband and nothing else. So they said they would put it down on the order. Then about 2 weeks ago the local eircom engineer rang me looking for directions to my house so he could do the site survey, I gave him the directions and he told me I was a bit far from the exchange but he would try his best for me.
    He came back last wednesday to install the line. I came home at dinner time for my lunch and he had the line up and running already ! I had a chat with him and he told me that I was 3.1miles from the exchange as the copper runs. He said that most of the lines around the area were on pair gains and that he had took a proper pair off someone that only uses it for voice and gave it to me :).I asked him would the quality of this line be ok for dsl , he said he checked all the available full pairs and this was the best one so it should be grand.
    Rang eircom the next day and the line passed and was told that I could get the 2mb package.So all going well ill have proper broadband shortly and I can let the dog use this E220 modem as her new chew toy :P So a big thumbs up to that engineer for really helping me out.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've always said that Eircom engineers are excellent fellows. It is the management that is the problem.

Also the problem that Eircom will face in the future, is that as more and more people who want BB like you, they will run out of full pairs to give to people like you and nobody else will get BB until Eircom starts to invest in upgrading their network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its always nice to hear of good customer service - irrespective of the company involved.

Unfortunately Eircom are in a bind (and this is not making excuses for them by the way) Firstly they are uniquely burdened by debt which really limits their options. And with the fall off in 'ordinary' telephone customers everywhere (again made worse in Ireland by high line rentals) the future looks bleak for old fashioned copper lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Most eircom engineers will do this however the trouble is with customer service etc. I would say if you live in a Broadband enabled area and are on a carrier (pair gain) don't mind ringing eircom only go straight to the Eircom engineer when you see him and ask him to swap out your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Of all the problems I've had with Eircom, it was never with the engineers.
    The always do their job from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes, that's a fair point. In our house, we've had cause to call an Eircom engineer out twice in the last few years. It was a different guy both times and both times they were very helpful. It was a real fight to get the engineer out the second time. There was a problem with our phone line but the girl on the other end of the line did everything in her power short of promising us her first-born kid to avoid having someone come out to us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement