Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us the top 10 things you'd....

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Thats why we really need to get moving on this now. Also I don't think most Irish people would be too happy with a nuclear power station being built.

I don't think the public would go for it either but I'd prefer an educated debate on it to at least educate people about it and that we wouldn't have drunk paddies at the controls as is so often thrown out when the nuclear power option is raised.

I isn't my preferred option but I think it is the most realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

thebman wrote: »
    It isn't my preferred option but I think it is the most realistic.

Right ok and its a fair point your making, but how about we don't build it, but rather build an interconnector to the good people of France and buy their power off them until we get the wind/tidal power sorted out. Its a bit of a quick fix solution so im open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭SeanW

We should keep it a secret? Someone might accuse us of supporting a war for profit?
    blame the Shannon trade union and professional victims lobby in the West for that ... anything that has to be done for Shannon has to be done regardless of logic. It is true that for some time, a big hole in Shannon's finances was being plugged by military stopover fees.

If we had listened to the professional victims in the West, it would still be illegal to fly a commercial airliner from the U.S. to Dublin Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Thats why we really need to get moving on this now. Also I don't think most Irish people would be too happy with a nuclear power station being built.

nuclear power will never gain a foothold in ireland , we are too easy a people to scare , thier are numerous campaigns around the country objecting to mobile phone masts and pylons , let alone nuclear power plants

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

irish_bob wrote: »
    nuclear power will never gain a foothold in ireland , we are too easy a people to scare , thier are numerous campaigns around the country objecting to mobile phone masts and pylons , let alone nuclear power plants

Microwaves from mobile phone masts are at a higher intensitity near the mast this is the reason for objection IMO. Nuclear power. I am undecided on this one but I am guessing the reason its not liked is its not a long term viable option and the waste is impossible to dispose of, We would be very hypocritical to protest against thorp and yet send our waste there and lastly does it come under the minister for justice or the minister for environment who in both cases as in incineration and Thornton hall do not need planning permission when putting it in your back garden!

Fusion...... Noe that would be interesting!

• Advertisement

Fusion...... Now that would be interesting!

Sure would. Im with you on that one.

Right ok and its a fair point your making, but how about we don't build it, but rather build an interconnector to the good people of France and buy their power off them until we get the wind/tidal power sorted out. Its a bit of a quick fix solution so im open to correction.

Don't see the point of that. We can sell any excess power it generates if we build and we can employee people for the construction and upkeep of the plant.

Rather than paying someone else constantly for power. The only reason not to is if we don't have the money to pay for the construction which seems to be the case IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Fusion...... Noe that would be interesting!

Not a good time-scale though asfaik. Only to be developed within the next 50 years; by then the price of oil will rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Most of the suggestions on the first page of the thread are actually really good (I think reduction of minimum wage is unfortunate but completely essential for the Irish economy to survive)

I would personally get rid of the most recent legislation restricting free speech when it comes to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

My version (not in order of importance)

1) Phase out dirty power plants and replace them with clean alternatives, including wind, nuclear and whatever else is economically viable.
    2) Legalise Abortion
    3) Legalise all drugs
    4) Break off diplomatic relations with the Vatican
    5) Make all forms of censorship illegal in every circumstance and expand civil liberties.
    6) Nationalise every institute of education (primary, secondary, third level) which receives state funding, or cut them off totally. This means either buying or confiscating schools from religious organisations and barring priests from their boards of management.
    7) Tax churches.
    8) Make Ireland a strictly secular nation, with absolute and invoidable separation of church and state
    9) Take Irish off life support and make it optional in schools.
    10) Abolish many regressive taxes, like stamp duty, travel tax, property tax on first homes, VAT on essential items like medicine and staple foods. Also I'll tag on here including motor tax and insurance in the cost of petrol at the pump.

I'd also like to say it is shocking to see that so many boards users are fascists.

• Advertisement

My version (not in order of importance)

1) Phase out dirty power plants and replace them with clean alternatives, including wind, nuclear and whatever else is economically viable.
    2) Legalise Abortion
    3) Legalise all drugs
    4) Break off diplomatic relations with the Vatican
    5) Make all forms of censorship illegal in every circumstance and expand civil liberties.
    6) Nationalise every institute of education (primary, secondary, third level) which receives state funding, or cut them off totally. This means either buying or confiscating schools from religious organisations and barring priests from their boards of management.
    7) Tax churches.
    8) Make Ireland a strictly secular nation, with absolute and invoidable separation of church and state
    9) Take Irish off life support and make it optional in schools.
    10) Abolish many regressive taxes, like stamp duty, travel tax, property tax on first homes, VAT on essential items like medicine and staple foods. Also I'll tag on here including motor tax and insurance in the cost of petrol at the pump.

I'd also like to say it is shocking to see that so many boards users are fascists.

Some of those ideas you have are very extreme. Seriously, take people off life support? Thats their families call, not the governments. Legalise all drugs including heroin and cocaine Im assuming? Thats sorta dangerous right? Just my 2 cents :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Some of those ideas you have are very extreme. Seriously, take people off life support? Thats their families call, not the governments. Legalise all drugs including heroin and cocaine Im assuming? Thats sorta dangerous right? Just my 2 cents :p

Not sure if you're joking, but he meant take the Irish language off life support. But you're right, some laughably extreme views in there.

Ardent wrote: »
    Not sure if you're joking

Im afraid I wasn't, completly misread that part of the post there lol

No, take the Irish language off life support. As for the drugs, you might think so but the evidence does not support that notion. Portugal decriminalised them all in 2000, and since then the use of every drug has decreased across every age group and social class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No, take the Irish language off life support. As for the drugs, you might think so but the evidence does not support that notion. Portugal decriminalised them all in 2000, and since then the use of every drug has decreased across every age group and social class.

on a longterm basis yes - but I believe there was a slight increase in marijuana usage amongst some groups? Obviously offset by the fall in use of harder drugs amongst these same groups.

Edit: Between 2001 and 2006 "rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group). New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

MikeC101 wrote: »
    on a longterm basis yes - but I believe there was a slight increase in marijuana usage amongst some groups? Obviously offset by the fall in use of harder drugs amongst these same groups.

Edit: Between 2001 and 2006 "rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group). New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

Thanks for that.

I'd personally consider a rise in marijuana use a good thing;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StopTheDrugWar!

1.Reform Drugs policy. This would involve;

a.Providing accurate unbiased information about drugs, backed up by scientific evidence.

b. Allow smokeless nicotine products to be sold in regular shops alongside tobacco and encourage smokers to switch over to the healthier products.

c. Provide heroin on prescription for addicts to allow them to stablise their lives before they can swap to an oral opiate and possibly give up.

d. Decriminalise the personal possessional of all illegal drugs.

e.With this done I could start on my legalising agenda.Only a limited number of drugs would be legalised at first. Each one being relatively non-toxic considering the class of drugs it belongs to. Each drug would only be availble in pill form to avoid the addiction problems seen with other types of use. At the moment the list would look like;

Lsd, ketamine, alprazolam, ghb, methylphenidate, amphetamine, morphine, jwh-018 (provided it is proven non-toxic) and MeOPP (if proven non-toxic).

Due to the nature of their effects and their unaddictiveness DMT and Salvinorin A would also be available in powder form for insuffulation.

If alternatives to MDMA have not been found it would be legalised, and research would be put into finding safer alternatives. Finding an oxytocin agonist would be a main priority.

f. Encourage current drug users (including drinkers) to switch to these safer drugs.

g. The list of drugs would expand slowly as more and more drugs are approved.

h. After providing the population with safe drugs in less addictive forms and developing a culture of responsible use the final step would be taken.

All currently used drugs would be legalised in whatever form. Cannabis and other plant preparations would be made available in the same outlets as the safe drugs, but the population would be explicitly advised that pure chemicals are much safer.
    Other drugs such as heroin and cocaine would be made available from pharmacies and have strict controls.

By which time, most drug users will be perfectly happy taking the safe drugs in pill form.

i. Enforce harsh penalties on the crime of forcing someone to take a drug or drugging somebody without their permission.

2. Constitutionally enshrine absolute gender equality. The main effect of this would be men getting equal rights to their children.

3. Abolish all state recognition of marriage. Financial aid will instead be given to those raising children.

4.Completely separate church from state.

5. Provide completely free 3rd level to all irish citizens.

6. Provide free healthcare to all irish citizens.

7. Legalise and strictly regulate prostitution.

8. Abolish mandatory closing times for pubs/clubs.

9. Investigate speed limits, possible abolishment/ relaxation (depending on the road). People could still be charged with reckless driving, but i get the feeling people would drive more carefully if they were more responsible for the speed they were going.

10. Allow non-sexual nudity in certain public places.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I take it you're quite into drugs then :p

a.Providing accurate unbiased information about drugs, backed up by scientific evidence.

b. Allow smokeless nicotine products to be sold in regular shops alongside tobacco and encourage smokers to switch over to the healthier products.

c. Provide heroin on prescription for addicts to allow them to stablise their lives before they can swap to an oral opiate and possibly give up.

e.With this done I could start on my legalising agenda.Only a limited number of drugs would be legalised at first. Each one being relatively non-toxic considering the class of drugs it belongs to. Each drug would only be availble in pill form to avoid the addiction problems seen with other types of use. At the moment the list would look like;

Lsd, ketamine, alprazolam, ghb, methylphenidate, amphetamine, morphine, jwh-018 (provided it is proven non-toxic) and MeOPP (if proven non-toxic).

Due to the nature of their effects and their unaddictiveness DMT and Salvinorin A would also be available in powder form for insuffulation.

If alternatives to MDMA have not been found it would be legalised, and research would be put into finding safer alternatives. Finding an oxytocin agonist would be a main priority.

f. Encourage current drug users (including drinkers) to switch to these safer drugs.

h. After providing the population with safe drugs in less addictive forms and developing a culture of responsible use the final step would be taken.

All currently used drugs would be legalised in whatever form. Cannabis and other plant preparations would be made available in the same outlets as the safe drugs, but the population would be explicitly advised that pure chemicals are much safer.
    Other drugs such as heroin and cocaine would be made available from pharmacies and have strict controls.

By which time, most drug users will be perfectly happy taking the safe drugs in pill form.

i. Enforce harsh penalties on the crime of forcing someone to take a drug or drugging somebody without their permission.

2. Constitutionally enshrine absolute gender equality. The main effect of this would be men getting equal rights to their children.

3. Abolish all state recognition of marriage. Financial aid will instead be given to those raising children.

9. Investigate speed limits, possible abolishment/ relaxation (depending on the road). People could still be charged with reckless driving, but i get the feeling people would drive more carefully if they were more responsible for the speed they were going.

Im scared :p lol

Would it be fair to contend StopTheDrugWar! that you are taking a partially narrow minded view when it comes to Alcohol, in that you see people as taking Alcohol as a means by which people become intoxicated. This is simply not the case.

But at least you arent trying to force people to consume one form of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 StopTheDrugWar!

turgon wrote: »
    Would it be fair to contend StopTheDrugWar! that you are taking a partially narrow minded view when it comes to Alcohol, in that you see people as taking Alcohol as a means by which people become intoxicated. This is simply not the case.

But at least you arent trying to force people to consume one form of alcohol.

As a strict rationalist i see alcohol as a drug. If you want to drink something nice you can have a hot chocolate or some cola :pac:.

I think it's because people don't respect alcohol as a drug that we see the problems we do.
    Having experienced both ways of drinking, it's a lot easier to drink too much when you drink continously over the night (treating it like a drink) than if you take your dose (e.g a naggin) and leave it a that, and maybe a small top-up 3/4 hours later.

Granted it does feel a bit weird at first catching up with your mates in a bar and not drinking. But once you get used to it, you realise you're not missing out on anything. It's not the drinking that's fun, it's being drunk and catching up with your mates. (I usually have one or two waters anyway-to rehydrate).

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with encouragement. As you said it's not like i'm trying to force anything on anyone. I don't see myself as having that right.

I only drink in moderation too :P but I agree with most of this. Not sure about point 10 lol. It would need to somewhere where people that don't want to see won't be effected.

I think state marriage is fine and that the state has no reason to decide on the sex that is appropriate for marriage.
    As a strict rationalist i see alcohol as a drug. If you want to drink something nice you can have a hot chocolate or some cola :pac:.

I think it's because people don't respect alcohol as a drug that we see the problems we do.
    Having experienced both ways of drinking, it's a lot easier to drink too much when you drink continously over the night (treating it like a drink) than if you take your dose (e.g a naggin) and leave it a that, and maybe a small top-up 3/4 hours later.

Granted it does feel a bit weird at first catching up with your mates in a bar and not drinking. But once you get used to it, you realise you're not missing out on anything. It's not the drinking that's fun, it's being drunk and catching up with your mates. (I usually have one or two waters anyway-to rehydrate).

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with encouragement. As you said it's not like i'm trying to force anything on anyone. I don't see myself as having that right.

I agree with this too. People don't drink because they like the taste (I do though but it isn't the reason). People drink as a release from stress, for social reasons, and obviously to feel less self-conscious and inhibited in their behavior.

Nobody drinks purely because they like the taste. Most people start on cheap drink when they are teenagers.

Well agreed people drink to release stress, but they either do that by a) getting drunk or by b) relaxing as they enjoy the taste in comfortable surrounds. I sometimes go to the off-license and get two bottles of different beers to try them out, drink them with a friend and head home. While the hole process is relaxing and stress releasing I dont get tipsy anymore after 2. But that thats neither here nor there I suppose :)
    I don't see myself as having that right.

Thats something I respect a lot, and Im always amazed at the amount of people who do think they have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

1. Decriminalise the use of drugs, providing a controlled legitimate supply for users. At the same time I would massively ramp up penalties for dealers - a bit like the Portuguese system.
    2. Require all teenagers to stay in school until they attempt leaving cert. If they drop out they would be barred from working or claiming benefits until they completed their schooling.
    3. Establish a universal health care system based on the Dutch model.
    4. Develop a food and energy self-sufficiency plan.
    5. Set up an technology innovation fund to help Irish companies develop world beating products and require all subsequent patents to remain in Irish ownership.
    6. Create a new spatial strategy that require all developers to prove beyond doubt there is a market for any new developments they propose.
    7. Massively develop the rail network so that all towns with a population of 5,000+ will have a station.
    8. Zero tolerance punishments for anti-social behaviour. Eliminate cautions so that all crimes will receive a punishment.
    9. Availability of at least 100MB internet to every home in Ireland.
    10. A major overhaul of the financial system giving banks a legal obligation to lend sensibly and trade in a responsible manner. Make board members criminally liable for violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

grundie wrote: »
    1. Decriminalise the use of drugs, providing a controlled legitimate supply for users. At the same time I would massively ramp up penalties for dealers - a bit like the Portuguese system.
    2. Require all teenagers to stay in school until they attempt leaving cert. If they drop out they would be barred from working or claiming benefits until they completed their schooling.
    3. Establish a universal health care system based on the Dutch model.
    4. Develop a food and energy self-sufficiency plan.
    5. Set up an technology innovation fund to help Irish companies develop world beating products and require all subsequent patents to remain in Irish ownership.
    6. Create a new spatial strategy that require all developers to prove beyond doubt there is a market for any new developments they propose.
    7. Massively develop the rail network so that all towns with a population of 5,000+ will have a station.
    8. Zero tolerance punishments for anti-social behaviour. Eliminate cautions so that all crimes will receive a punishment.
    9. Availability of at least 100MB internet to every home in Ireland.
    10. A major overhaul of the financial system giving banks a legal obligation to lend sensibly and trade in a responsible manner. Make board members criminally liable for violations.

Very good - I'd lose number eight though, and i'd replace it with a €25 tax on tabloids.

Advertisement