Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Cornelscourt selling 10 days old Expired Milk stuff.

Options
  • 31-05-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just back from Dunnes Cornelscourt. I had bought a case of Yazoo Milk drink. I saw that they had expired on 20/05/09 and went back to return it. Customer Care said "we will exchange it, go and collect a new case". Imagine my horror when the whole stand was filled with expired stuff!!!!! I brought it to their attention and they tell me "oh we will give you a refund instead". I asked them how come they are selling expired stuff and they said it isnt really expired but just a misprint of the date! :eek: I removed a bottle and showed them that the bottle too had the same expiry date. By the look of it I felt they were aware about it. They guy there said they will take them in so that other customers don't buy them. I went there again some time ago to have a look if they actually took them off sale and guess what? ... I don't think I need to answer that!

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Should I just sit idle and let other customers buy expired stuff? I wouldn't mind if it was some other product but this is Milk which can be dangerous if had after its expired!

Let me know what I should do.

Thanks

EDIT - Does anyone live near Cornelscourt? Can someone go and have a look at the cases of 4 yazoo bottles? They are now on Special Offer for 2 euros! :eek: Same expired ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You need to report it to the Food saftey authority, sorry head is fried can't think of the correct name.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Gillo wrote: »
    You need to report it to the Food saftey authority, sorry head is fried can't think of the correct name.

Food Safety Authority Of Ireland - very close :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

+1 for that.

Chances are, if they're stocking one line of expired products, they're possibly doing it with other lines too.

That's disgraceful that they didn't bother to remove the items and continued selling them - Someone could become seriously ill from that.

If I were you, I'd write a letter to the manager of the store, outlining the situation. Then you can include this letter in your dealings with Food Safety Authority, as proof the shop were informed of the the occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had occasion to complain to Dunnes head office twice, and small and all the issue's where they where taken very seriously , and dealt with swiftly.

Quick email followed by a phone call to them on tuesday should result in some bum's being kicked. I'd say speak to a manager but found in my experience at least they needed the pressure from above to motivate them properly ;)

Also i would contact the FSA in this case too, not sure what they would do but definitely dont feel it's an over reaction where dairy products are concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Joe Duffy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭xtremepoizn

Thanks for all the replies! As I said I wouldn't have bothered if it was some other product but consuming out of date Dairy products can be bad.

I'll try Food Safety Authority Of Ireland and Dunnes Head Office. Will keep you all informed if and when I get a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't see how 'they already knew', unless someone else before you had the same problem..they stock thousands of products. Staff themselves don't have the power to remove stock without being told, no excuse for not telling a manager though.

Yes, contact Dunnes head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I hope you photographed these out of date items as proof otherwise it will be just your word against theirs and FSA most likely will just turn a blind eye, a la the food hygiene "inspections" that take place by HSE when it is known well in advance when they are coming.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Milk is not dangerous when it is out of date. It may not taste good but it will not harm you. At worst you might vomit if you had a weak stomach but thats because of the taste. Look up how cheese and yogurt are made.

Whilst I think it is bad form having items for sale that are past their sell by date, I cannot understand how people purchase items from shops without looking at the date on the product. I would even go one step further and find the product with the longest date on the pack (usually at the back).

I don't see what the Food Safety Authority can do here when there is no food safety issue from drinking out of date milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭xtremepoizn

I don't see how 'they already knew', unless someone else before you had the same problem..they stock thousands of products.

They actually told me that I can consume it without any problem. They said it doesnt matter if the date shows it is expired. It is a printing problem. The product itself isn't really expired. Can you tell me how they came to this conclusion if this hasn't happened before or they didn't "already know?" and why will they change the price to make it a special offer?
    axer wrote:
    Milk is not dangerous when it is out of date. It may not taste good but it will not harm you. At worst you might vomit if you had a weak stomach but thats because of the taste. Look up how cheese and yogurt are made.

My friend I know how cheese and yogurt is made. in both cases the milk is left open and usually at a certain temperature. This is milk which is flavoured and kept closed. Have you ever come across a bloated milk carton? When you see it bloated do you presume it is cheese or yogurt? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

you cant call that sh*t milk for starters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Staff themselves don't have the power to remove stock without being told, no excuse for not telling a manager though.

Where I work, staff do have the power to remove something out of date, indeed are obliged to. Out of date stock is taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

axer wrote: »
    I cannot understand how people purchase items from shops without looking at the date on the product.
    Many people just presume the shop, esp. a big one like Dunnes would only be stocking stuff that is in date and so not check it. Just like many might just glance at the date on bread and not examine the entire loaf for mould. They presume a certain level of service.
    I would even go one step further and find the product with the longest date on the pack (usually at the back).
    Same here, but with the lazy packers in my tesco the fresh stuff is usually at the front!

http://www.ehoa.ie/faq_bestbefore.htm
    Q. Is it illegal to sell food beyond its best-before date?

A. No. There is nothing in legislation that prevents a packaged foodstuff being offered for sale on or after it’s ‘best-before’ date provided that the foodstuff is still in a fully acceptable condition. However, if the out-of-date stock is to be sold to the consumer, it is strongly recommended to indicate to the consumer that the foodstuffs are past their ‘best-before’ date. This will assist in ensuring that the consumer is not misled as to the true nature of the product which is an offence.

Q. Is it illegal to sell food beyond its use-by date?

A. Yes. Foodstuffs with a ‘use-by’ date must not be offered for sale after this date due to the possible deterioration of these highly perishable products and the associated risk of illness if they are consumed. Regulation 852/2004/EC on the hygiene of foodstuffs (transposed by European Communities (Hygiene of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2006 (S.I. No. 369 of 2006) states that the primary responsibility for food safety rests with the food business operator. In addition, Regulation 178/2002/EC states that food shall not be placed on the market if it is unsafe. Unsafe food is defined as being a) injurious to health b) unfit for human consumption. Therefore, selling a food past its ‘use-by’ date, when it is potentially unsafe, would be in breach of legislation.
    I have tesco milk here with a "use by". I think that yazhoo stuff is UHT so might have a BB.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Yazoo would have a best before date and can legally be sold beyond it once it is labelled as being past the best before date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yazoo would have a best before date and can legally be sold beyond it once it is labelled as being past the best before date.

Agreed. Yazoo is UHT treated so lasts for months. The shop has done nothing wrong in selling it, as Best Before means just that - its BEST BEFORE, it doesnt mean its off.

However, there should be a sign to say this, and that it is reduced to clear.

rubadub wrote: »
    Many people just presume the shop, esp. a big one like Dunnes would only be stocking stuff that is in date and so not check it. Just like many might just glance at the date on bread and not examine the entire loaf for mould. They presume a certain level of service.
    I think there is a difference between not checking the date and not checking an entire loaf. The date is clear for all to see and is very easy to check. It is just laziness for people not to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is just laziness for people not to check it.
    They might just consider it a complete waste of time, thinking that it is the stores job to ensure their stock is in date and wrongly presuming they are doing their job.

A few people have commented on me reading labels on foods, saying "jesus I didn't know anybody understood all that stuff" :rolleyes: I've been reading labels & nutritional info since I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bintools

hope you do complaain to the food safety authorityits outrageous for them to selling this so out of date and advertising it as a special offer.do they not check the dates in dunnes?

rubadub wrote: »
    A few people have commented on me reading labels on foods, saying "jesus I didn't know anybody understood all that stuff" :rolleyes: I've been reading labels & nutritional info since I was a kid.
    It is very important to look at value for money i.e. price per kilo etc, nutrional value and the date on the package. It only takes a second to see that stuff when you get used to always checking i.e. its not a big deal to look. It saves money, gives you longer lasting goods and gives you an idea of what you are eating. Pity more people dont spend the extra seconds to look at the labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Tescos are constantly selling stock that has past its best before date or is off and mouldy. I check everything I buy and always take the stock from the back (where the newest stuff is kept in most cases - stock rotation they call it).

I picked up bread and noticed its use by date was 3 days earlier, told a sop assistant they took it away and they left. I called them back and advised them to check the rest of the bread and that if one pack is mouldy the rest of them will probably be mouldy also. Turns out they were so they took them all.

I sent a complaint to them and they acknowleged it. I said that if I encountered foods that were being sold past its use by date again then I would voice my concerns to the relevant authority (FSA).

Remember that 'sell by date' means that they cannot sell the product after this date has passed but it can still be consumed. 'use by date' means that this product cannot be consumed once this date has past, and 'best before' date means that the product is at its best before this date and that after this date the product cannot be guaranteed to be at its best.

I also asked them why they falsely advertised their 'reduced to clear' section when it is not reduced to clear, but is reduced to get it off the shelves as the food will go off that day or in rare cases the following day. They failed to respond to that query.

Tescos!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

kingtut wrote: »

I also asked them why they falsely advertised their 'reduced to clear' section when it is not reduced to clear, but is reduced to get it off the shelves as the food will go off that day or in rare cases the following day. They failed to respond to that query.

Tescos!!! :mad::mad::mad:

How is that false advertising?

How is that false advertising?

FAIL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kingtut wrote: »
    FAIL
    FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was wondering how long it would be before this turned into a TESCO slagg-fest! ;)

FAIL

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I've come across gone off food in lots of places. You've gotta be real careful with checking dates on products. I always reach for the stuff at the back (e.g. deli chicken packs) because usually the stuff at the front is just about to go out of date.

I've seen burger buns with mould on them and lots of berries with mould on them - so I always check the pack thoroughly before I buy. I've seen gone off tomatoes and the like. I've also seen gone off milk in some places.

You've just got to be careful with what you buy, a quick check of the date only takes 2 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

This matches in with what some factories get upto (are rumored to get upto at least )

they take back some of the milk that isnt sold, wash out the bottles and print new dates on them because the date can simply wash off and then they are filled with milk again and sent back out, not healthy imo.

DubMedic wrote: »
    they take back some of the milk that isnt sold, wash out the bottles and print new dates on them because the date can simply wash off and then they are filled with milk again and sent back out, not healthy imo.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

because it should be a brand new carton that is to be used, i dont want a carton that has been previously used to store milk being used again , and it could be a different kind of milk too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

DubMedic wrote: »
    because it should be a brand new carton that is to be used, i dont want a carton that has been previously used to store milk being used again , and it could be a different kind of milk too.

that is like saying in a coffee shop that you want a new teapot everytime you order

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement