Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Emergencyyyyy

Options
  • 31-05-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Ahhhh
    Ok i am doing cultural context
    teacher was useless at the comparative spent most the year doing poetry or else just didn't come in..
    I am doing the crucible, the curious incident of the dog in the night-time and strictly ballroom.
    CANNOT find any notes for strictly ballroom.
    Can anybody help me out??
    :pac:

Comments

Don't just study cultural context, do at least one of the other two as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Don't panic.. here are some notes, courtesy of skoool.ie (I don't know whether they're any good, having never studied those texts/films)

Strictly Ballroom
    The Crucible
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mr.S wrote: »
    Slighly offtopic, but does anyone have any notes on Old School by Tobias wolff for the comparative?

There's always these, from skoool.ie (people are going to start thinking I that I work for this website!)
    Old School - Tabias Wolff

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

You should probably do both Cultural Context and General Vision & Viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buggeryboo

i tried the skoool website
    the notes arent great..
    we only did cultural context in class so any others would be pointless at this stage.
    thanks though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Strictly Ballroom

1)Geographical Setting:
    1970's Australia

2) Social Setting
    Fran lives on the "other side of the tracks". Hastings are a middle class, working family.

2) Patriarchial Society
    Barry Fife controls everything that is going on. "Dance Federation president, Barry Fife"

3) Values in Society
    People only care about winning the championships.

4)Social Snobbery
    Snobbery towards those of less experiences, mainly towards Fran. "I'm back in beginners where I belong."

5) Rules, regulations (Same as Religion in other texts)
    People must conform to the society in which they live in. "You can dance any steps you like, it doesn't mean you'll win"

Just some tips. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I'm doing strictly ballroom, but not your other two texts so I don't know how helpful my notes would be? Just think about what aspects of culture your going to discuss i.e race, class, gender,religion etc., then think about how these are treated in the culture of Strictly Ballroom.

e.g Race-there are race divisions between Spanish and Australians in Strictly Ballroom.
    The 2 groups don't interact, Fran is mocked for her Spanish name being called "Frangipani Della Squeegimop" by Liz, Spanish live in a more run down area.
    Then compare that to the attitudes towards race in your other texts.
    repeat this for the other headings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buggeryboo

thank you all sooooo much :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

buggeryboo what do you mean you only did one of the three?
    But two come up?! I would think your teacher is slightly mental to chance that!
    Madness!
    But likewise we did Strictly Ballroom, but with Jane Eyre and The Secret Life of Bees. Honestly I think they were great texts, really comparable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yes buggeryboo there's no way you should go into the exam without another area from general vision and viewpoint or theme. general vision and viewpoint is the tip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

yeah 1 is a dangerous strategy i hate general vision and viewpoint but i can write plenty on cultural context and theme or issue

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Gloom wrote: »
    Strictly Ballroom

1)Geographical Setting:
    1970's Australia

Is it not 1980s Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Slightly OT but I didn't wanna make a new thread for such a small question. How many 'c's should you have along the side of your comparative answer? Mine was corrected by my teacher and there's 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

anyone have an essay on father son relationship they want to post?????????

Advertisement