Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name for a baby boy

Options
  • 31-05-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hello

Myself and my wife are thinking and thinking and thinking about name for our little boy

We still have some time to decide - but we need your advice.

As we are from Poland - we want to give to our baby Polish name, but name that could be easily pronunciated by English speaking people.

We know that there are some names (like in every language) that are not popular, or are funny, or very old and not used etc.

What do you think about name Anthony ? (Antoni is Polish spelling)

any suggestions are very welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Łukasz or Tomasz

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

creggy wrote: »
    Łukasz or Tomasz

?

Lucas and Thomas

both are ok, but too many people are Łukasz or Tomasz, so it must be something special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

always loved the name Przemyslaw tbh.

always loved the name Przemyslaw tbh.
    that may be too difficult for you to pronunciate. :) as well as Kazimierz, Bogumił, Zdzisław, Grzegorz, etc.

Ok again - Anthony - is it a popular, good or bad name ?

We all know how kids can behave - are there any funny/stupid "nicknames" that can be matched with Anthony ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

what about Kasper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the name Anthony, also like the shortened version Tony. It was my Dad's second name.

The polish version Antoni should be easy enough for people to pronounce, at least it's a lot easier to pronounce compared to some irish names that a lot of irish people themselves have difficulty pronouncing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I don't know any polish names, and I'm sure many others here don't either so why don't you through up a list with potential names spelled phonetically so we can give you some opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Most Anthony's I know have their name shortened to Tony or even Ant.
    It used to be a fairly popular name years back. You don't get too many kids being called it anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I think Antonhy may get shortened to Anto - and that's a skangers name imo.

Give us some Polish names and then we can advise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

If you're in Dublin and you name him Antoni he's going to be Anto. And it's a real stereotype skanger name. If you like the name tho I wouldnt let stuff like that put you off.

I don't know a lot of polish names but I know three I like. Crystain, Polish version of Christian so no problems there. I like Danek and Mirco too. I'm no expert but I would assume they're pronounced as they look in english so I can't imagine too many problems there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

What about Andrey or Andrei

thanks for all your replys

Andrey is not a correct spelling it is Andrzej.

Didn't know that Anto is a skanger name - not happy with this, as in Poland it is like here quite an old name - not very popular.

The problem is that we don't have a list of names for our boy, and Antoni is our favourite one :( .

Many of Polish names are very similar to Irish

Martin - Marcin
    Philip - Filip
    Andrew - Andrzej
    Thomas - Tomasz
    Crystian - Krystian
    Daniel - Daniel
    Paul - Paweł
    Gregory - Grzegorz
    etc etc.

ahhh time is flying and we still don't know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

what's the Polish for Ben? I always liked it
    anyway anthony is my middle name,i don't use it much and I only really ever see it on my credit card bills :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I like the sound of Andrzej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

What about Adam? - I know Polish people are primarily Catholic, and as far as I know Adam is both an English and a Polish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

What 'bout Jacek or Jakub
    very easily pronounced by an english speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Anthony is a lovely name in my opinion. Does it sound good with the surname?
    I also like Aleksander.
    Let the 'skangers' call him Anto, i'm sure you won't let him mix in these circles:-)
    Best of luck with your new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

I am afraid I have to agree with anthony being a bit of a skanger name and its also very 'aul fella'.
    Krystian is lovely and Tomasz is not bad.
    There is a little polish boy who plays with my son and he is called Fabian, which I think is a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Zynks wrote: »
    I like the sound of Andrzej

Which will inevitably be shortened to Andy - perfectly respectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cafegirl

karl is a strong name,or what about patric,then your irish friend can call him paddy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

i hate anthony!!!

what about victor, vladimir, ivan and igor???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Martin - Marcin
    Philip - Filip
    Andrew - Andrzej
    Thomas - Tomasz
    Crystian - Krystian
    Daniel - Daniel
    Paul - Paweł
    Gregory - Grzegorz
    etc etc.

Of those, Daniel is my favourite.

I also like Martin, but some of the Irish accents murder it - as in, "Meeeeeeeartun" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

I think Felix is so nice

dara95 wrote: »
    i hate anthony!!!

what about victor, vladimir, ivan and igor???

I leave russian names for russian people :)

Thanks for so many answers.
    I was talking few days ago with one Irish person, I told him about Anthony and skangers name Anto - he told me that scumbags change almos all names to ****o - marco, ando, marto, etc. Anyway we will try to keep our son away from "bad" people :)

Few people asked what about wiktor, Patrick, etc. We don't want to give to our baby name that is too popular, we are looking for something different.

We are still thinking. It is too dificult.

ps
    I don't know Polish meaning of Ben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cocoh

Daniel is the perfect name I think! The only nicknames would be danny, dan, which are really cute, or Dano which compared to others really isn't that skangerish!

Best of luck with your new baby congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

clemence

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I had the same problem almost 10 months ago and decided to call my wee man Olaf. Not typically Polish but easy to pronounce by both Polish and English speakers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

How for Irish person would sound:

-Henry,
    -Milosz,
    -Tymon,
    -Wiktor

:rolleyes: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

How about 'Maciek'?

I'm not sure if it's Polish or how popular it is, but I know an awesome Polish guy with that name and always thought it was interesting !

Good Luck choosing a name. :)

P.s not sure if that's how you actually spell it..maybe it's 'maciej' ? Sorry I don't know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Emil. Simple. Strong. Easy to pronounce.

Advertisement