Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name for a baby boy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Daniel - all the way. I would also suggest that if you're going to stay in Ireland you pick as close to an English style name as possible. Think about the future and his name on a cv for a job. Who is more likely to get called to interview Daniel wiesniski or Antoni Wiesnieski? Don't shoot the messanger :)

I have the same situation with my daughter as she is half American. I love traditonal Irish names but picked Bridget as it just as recognised in Ireland as US.

Also Karl is a total skanger name.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

If you like Antoni, then go for it. Most names are shortened, I wouldn't worry about that. Daniel sounds great in any language. I don't think Karl is skangery. It's not the name, it's the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RealistSpy wrote: »
    what about Kasper?

Class name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Maja wrote: »
    How for Irish person would sound:

-Henry,
    -Milosz,
    -Tymon,
    -Wiktor

:rolleyes: ?

Of the four, Henry is the only one that is established as a name. Having said that, it would not be a common name at all. It would be seen as quite outdated, or maybe old fashioned. (Note, a lot of names that were old fashioned ten years ago are coming back into fashion, such as Thomas, Oliver, Samuel.....so ya never know).

The other three would not be traditional names here at all.

I'd say Milosz would the easiest.

Most Irish people would say Tymin, with the emphasis on the Ty part, and my guess is that its a name you would have to repeat, if someone asked you what the baby's name was.....

Wiktor.....most people here would say Victor. personally, I dont think it would sound as good in English as it might in Polish. It would be Victer rather than Vic-Tor (or Wik-Tor).

That's my opinion, other people might differ.

In general, a lot of European languages place the emphasis more on the second syllable and that makes a name sound more attractive. For example the name Eszter is very nice in Hungarian, but in English it doesn't work nearly as well in my opinion, because the emphasis is much more on the 'S', and very little on the 'ter'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Ale-Alejandro, Ale-Alejandro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OP posted this over a year ago. I presume he's found a name since :D
    Another poster is now asking a smilar question but with a different set of names.
    maja wrote:
    How for Irish person would sound:

-Henry,
    -Milosz,
    -Tymon,
    -Wiktor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Yep, we know it mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

jmbkay wrote: »
    If you like Antoni, then go for it. Most names are shortened, I wouldn't worry about that. Daniel sounds great in any language. I don't think Karl is skangery. It's not the name, it's the person.

Antoni had his first birthday earlier this week. You are late with your suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Milosz is nice, so is Marcin. I love Emil, but I think the other boys might make fun of him and call him Emily.

Advertisement