Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling and cutting workload

Options
  • 31-05-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

For example, in English alot of ye seem to be cutting out alot of work. Especially in poetry, alot of ye are doing only 1-3 poets. Theres 8 poets on the course. What if they dont come up? Will you know other poets well enough to write a few pages on?

Im doing Bishop and Longley only, and am dreading the thought of em not coming up! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Well it would be nonsense to do all 8 poets. My English teacher is the best teacher our school has and his predictions tend to be right. Last year we had studied Longley, Bishop, Keats and Walcott and he said he'd wait until after the 08 LC happened before picking the 5th to do (Montague).
    Anyway, Longley, Bishop, Keats and Walcott are favored to come up this year. Buuuut, if you want to cut out a lot of work, do Rich and Bishop. At least 1 will come up (99% sure Bishop will come up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The papers are 'fairly' predictable.

They always include one female writer + Bishop and Rich are the only females on our course + Rich came up last year = Bishop should come up this year.

Keats has been on the course for years + he hasn't come up yet = he is probable also.

But the Department can throw up a shock, and an uncle of one of my classmates reckons that Keats won't show up at all.

I'm doing the above two (and Larkin as a failsafe), but I think my choices are fairly safe, and so are yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Dont think we're in for too much of a shock, not too far away from what everyone is guessing anyway!

If they put on a shock in any exam just means they have aloada work in messing about with marking schemes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

i am the exact same as you... i have bishop and longley sorted and i was just about to start going over montague but then i kinda jus said screw it il take the gamble with these two!!!
    anyone think im crazy???

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

croker1 wrote: »
    i am the exact same as you... i have bishop and longley sorted and i was just about to start going over montague but then i kinda jus said screw it il take the gamble with these two!!!
    anyone think im crazy???
    Not at all. They're the most favored to come up this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

So is either Bishop or Longley almost certain to come up? I have them both learned well and am doing Keats at the moment which our teacher said has a very good chance as he's rarely on the course and came up whenever he was on. I might look over Montague to be safe(ish) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

An Irish poet has always appeared on the LC since 1969.

A female poet has always appeared on the LC since 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

JSK 252 wrote: »
    An Irish poet has always appeared on the LC since 1969.

A female poet has always appeared on the LC since 2001.

so this is the 40th anniversary of having an irish poet on....hmmmm...a pretty good juncture not to have one on i'd say

what happened in 1968?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mr.S wrote: »

And remember, if you say do 1 or 2 poets, and they do come up the questions might be ****/hard and since you didn't learn any other poets, you can't do the other questions.

That's my main worry with Bishop, her question could be very specific, so you really need to know her quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm cutting so many corners. In English I'm only really doing Walcott, Bishop and Longley. In Irish I'm mainly doing Gealt, Jack, Bímse Buan, An Bhean Óg, Cearrbhac Mac Cába, An Mhathair and Dá m'bhéidir arís ár gcumman. I'm just glancing at the other poems/prose. For Biology I'm not studying too much plant biology becvause by jaysus it's boring. In Chemistry I'm not doing electrochemistry and might skip gas laws. In Music I'm onlystudying a handful of Irish Music essays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

English.

Cutting my poetry down to just Keats. Genius.
    Might revise Bishop.

Gaelige

Bíonn na prós agus na filíocht gnáthleibhéal go léir déanta agam.
    Ach, sna dánta dualgais breise, níl ach Dá mbhféidir, an Mháithir agus an t-Oileáin déanta agam go maith.

Maths.

None of the proofs from last year.

Accounting.

No 60 markers. No Cash Flow. No Suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh yeah and for Irish all I'm preparing is my díospóireacht on the Irish Language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've only done Longley because I hate hate hate hate Bishop! So yeah, I'm screwed if Longley doesn't come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Piste wrote: »
    I'm cutting so many corners. In English I'm only really doing Walcott, Bishop and Longley. In Irish I'm mainly doing Gealt, Jack, Bímse Buan, An Bhean Óg, Cearrbhac Mac Cába, An Mhathair and Dá m'bhéidir arís ár gcumman. I'm just glancing at the other poems/prose. For Biology I'm not studying too much plant biology becvause by jaysus it's boring.
    Oh yeah and for Irish all I'm preparing is my díospóireacht on the Irish Language.

:eek: thats exactly what im cutting out!, like exactly!

we're both either gona be very smug or very sad next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Anyone got any ideas on what to do/what not to do for Biology and Business?

I'm just going to study Bishop and Longley in detail and have a look over the others before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

For English I'm cutting down loads:
    For poetry I'm only learning Keats and Bishop.
    For the comparative I'm pretty much only doing General vision & viewpoint
    And for macbeth I'm only doing Kingship, The witches and Good vs Evil.

In geography for Geocology I'm only learning Human interaction with soil characteristics and human inference with the desert biome.

For history I'm only learning the 1885/86 elections and the Strike & Lockout for the red book, and The treaty negotiations and economic policies of inter party governments for the green book.

I'm praying to allah something I've studied comes up in everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I have a feeling Walcott won't come up and he's the ONLY poet I'm doing lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

DON'T ONLY DO LONGLEY!!!! Montegue is a favourite to come up as the Irish poet (and there's always one) because he won't be on the course for a long time after this- definitely one to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Ah Jim Lusby said nothing about him. Maybe ill add him if Ive time. Thanks for pointing that out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Jannah wrote: »
    DON'T ONLY DO LONGLEY!!!! Montegue is a favourite to come up as the Irish poet (and there's always one) because he won't be on the course for a long time after this- definitely one to watch

Also it was his 80th Birthday this year and there was a bit of a fuss about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Jannah wrote: »

Longley is also on the course for the 5th years.

I still really hope Longley comes up though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Longley is also on the course for the 5th years.

I still really hope Longley comes up though!!
    +1:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

+1:eek:

+2
    :o

Cool were all in the same both so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Swizz wrote: »
    +2
    :o

Cool were all in the same both so.

-1 I'm not in the Longley boat! on more of a Keats canoe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

English:

Poetry:I'm only doing Keats, Montague and possibly Longley(not even well btw)
    Macbeth: Probably just the supernatural, evil, kingship, and maybe appearance vs. reality.
    Comparative: Most focus on CC, might write out my first Theme/issue question ever :rolleyes:

Irish:

Same as Piste :P Except I'm doing essays on the irish language, the recession, young people and problems in the country(not doing these properly either, I always bluff the essay and do well for some reason :confused:)

Maths: Leaving out whatever proofs came up last year, doing the factor theorem anyway, I'll really just revise the stuff that always comes up or nearly always.

French: No idea, just a few random topics and practice my listening(it was rubbish in the pre :()

Art History: Gonna do High Crosses and metalwork for the Irish section, early renaissance stuff for european(except for whoever came up last year, Masaccio was it?) and Michelangelo. I'll wing the Appreciation as usual.

Geo:

For my biome I'm doing pos/neg impacts on a biome and characteristics of a biome.
    Physical: Tara mines anyway, landscape feature thingy too(limestone pavement), plate tectonics maybe and the sea.
    Human elective: No idea, fucked for this section
    Regional: might leave out the mezzigiorno altogether, they never specify what kind of european region. I'll leave out whatever came up last year too.

Music: Last minute job, sea changes getting the most focus anyway.

Think that's it. Cutting enough corners for ya? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Rich has come up twice in a row before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ya gotta remember its montagues 80th this year, so dont be so sure about longley.

As for accounting i'm leaving the final account out, as long as i can do 1 and a bit of another sixty marker i'm happy.

Anyone else doing the 1870 to 1921 european history topic?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Montague's also tipped to come up because it's his 80th birthday this year (but he doesn't count as an Irish poet landyman cause he was reared til he was 4 in the US). I would feel VERY uncomfortable only being able to do 1 or 2 poets well... there's a chance neither of them would appear and then I'd be lost.... :(

For irish, they think Máire Mac an tSaoi will appear on the paper somewhere (jack or an bean óg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

On the 2fm predictions show, the 'expert' tipped that to come up as a díospóireacht. I have it prepared as an aiste so must learn the necessary filler for debates. Also studied the recession (as well as a poverty essay) and fadhb na ndrugaí. Might write out an essay on road safety ('death on the roads' or whatever) with the aid of Dréimire but I'm probably a bit late with it. Bah.

I've done basic study of Gealt, Níl Aon Ní, Jack, Bímse Buan, An Bhean Óg, Cearrbhac Mac Cába and An Mhathair. Dá m'bhéidir arís ár gcumman is the only one I've studied more than two questions on. Must get round to cramming Uircill, Clare Sa Spéir and Fiche Bliain.

As for the poetry in English, I've just been doing Keats and Bishop. Going to look over Rich tomorrow in case the paper turns out to be an absolute bitch.

Art History: sooo much to do in Section I... Hopefully Monet / Manet / Da Vinci / Picasso comes up in Section II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Monzo wrote: »
    Going to look over Rich tomorrow in case the paper turns out to be an absolute bitch.

... like her.

Advertisement