Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling and cutting workload

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Can anyone actually stand the female poets?

I would be dam happy if Longley or Montague came up,mainly because they're the only two I really looked over.:pac:.Hopefully Cultural Context in the Comparative section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

BLARG wrote: »
    ... like her.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Swizz wrote: »
    +2
    :o

Cool were all in the same both so.

+3 for the longley boat :eek:
    M
    For irish, they think Máire Mac an tSaoi will appear on the paper somewhere (jack or an bean óg)

i reckon they'l both be on...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Jello wrote: »
    Also it was his 80th Birthday this year and there was a bit of a fuss about it.

Yeah there was..big article and stuff in the Irish Times weekend review one week. You'd be sorted for your essay if ya read that..some good phrases and stuff that you could work into your essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Am I the only one studying Walcott here lol? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

ImJohn wrote: »
    Nope I'm doing him too, sure he's pretty much guaranteed to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

This is his first year

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

what questions are people covering for macbeth?? only starting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Predictions I heard say both Máire Mhac an tSaoi parts are coming up, both jack and An Bhean Og....god I hate an bhean og, but its the easiest of the prose.... If Lig Sinn I gCathu comes up I'M SUNK...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Does anyone have suggestion to what to cut down in regards to geography?

• Advertisement

ImJohn wrote: »
    Jello wrote: »
    Nope I'm doing him too, sure he's pretty much guaranteed to come up.

Any good sites on his poetry? I found a few really helpful ones for longley that were way better than the teachers notes, and Im only starting Walcott today as a back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Monzo wrote: »
    On the 2fm predictions show, the 'expert' tipped that to come up as a díospóireacht. I have it prepared as an aiste so must learn the necessary filler for debates. Also studied the recession (as well as a poverty essay) and fadhb na ndrugaí. Might write out an essay on road safety ('death on the roads' or whatever) with the aid of Dréimire but I'm probably a bit late with it. Bah.

Gah... I meant to do Irish as an essay. I asked my teacher for phrases and whatever and she was like yeah sure, and then on the last day she ran up to me with a fill in the blanks sheet on Uirchill and said there you go, and ran off. I'm not even going to study Uirchill... :(

Anyone with a few phrases on the Irish language? I'd actually love you forever, because in general I'm pretty screwed for paper 2. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

Gah... I meant to do Irish as an essay. I asked my teacher for phrases and whatever and she was like yeah sure, and then on the last day she ran up to me with a fill in the blanks sheet on Uirchill and said there you go, and ran off. I'm not even going to study Uirchill... :(

Anyone with a few phrases on the Irish language? I'd actually love you forever, because in general I'm pretty screwed for paper 2. :o

i'm screwed for irish altogether.dont know any essays so will hopefully bluff my ay past that and i am seriously messed up for paper 2

Heh, freudian slip. I know the essay is on paper one, but I'm pretty screwed for paper two too. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm taking some major gambles in all subjects, If it was money I was betting I wouldn't take such huge risks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Predictions I heard say both Máire Mhac an tSaoi parts are coming up, both jack and An Bhean Og....god I hate an bhean og, but its the easiest of the prose.... If Lig Sinn I gCathu comes up I'M SUNK...

Lig Sinn I gCathu came up last year and the year before (I think), thankfully.
    Gah... I meant to do Irish as an essay. I asked my teacher for phrases and whatever and she was like yeah sure, and then on the last day she ran up to me with a fill in the blanks sheet on Uirchill and said there you go, and ran off. I'm not even going to study Uirchill...

Anyone with a few phrases on the Irish language? I'd actually love you forever, because in general I'm pretty screwed for paper 2.

Don't really have time to post up the full essay but here's the structure and a few quotes of my class essay on it (got an A1; jackanackanory!).

Intro: Basic points like
    -'Tír gan teanga..' a deir an seanfhocal agus aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leis an seanfhocal seo
    -Is siombal í an Ghaeilge dár bhféiniúlacht, tá áit speisialta ag ár dteanga dhúchais i gcultúr na tíre seo - symbol of our identity, has a special place on our culture
    -ón gcéad lá d'eanáir 2007 is teanga oifigiúil oibre de chuid an Aontais Eorpaigh í an Ghaeilge - from Jan 1st 07 Irish is an official working language of the EU.. then saying that it's a big step forward, but what about the future of Irish in our own country, should we be optimistic or worrying about it? Will the Gaeltachts live on... etc.

Paragraph 1: the 'stádas teanga oifigiúil oibre' point in more depth - it means that the regulations of the EU will be translated into Irish (ciallaíonn sé seo go n-aistreofar príomhrialacháin an Aontais go Gaeilge), interpretation of the language will be made available at meetings (cuirfear ateangaireacht ón Ghaeilge ar fáil ag cruinnithe Aireachta agus i bParliament na hEorpa), filler like how it was a historic day, it's something we should be proud of, it'll help to increase the status of Irish in our own country (is cinnte go gcuideoidh se seo le stadas na gailege a ardú inár dtír féin)

P2: Acht na dTeangach Oifigiúla - this act was passed in 2003 and consequently the state depts + companies have to provide their services through Irish (ritheadh an acht sin sa 2003 agus mar sin ta dualgas reachtúil ar ranna Stáit agus ar comhlachtaí seirbhísí ar fáil trí Ghaeilge), the 'coimisinéir Teanga' (language commissioner, Seán O'Cuirreáin) works as a sort of ombudsman, who makes sure the services are provided in Irish, these steps will help promote our language for the future (sílim go gcuideoidh sé seo go mór le dul chun cinn ár dteanga sa todhchaí).

P3: How the celtic tiger was beneficial to the language, increase in summer college attendances, téacsáil Ghaeilge, comhlachtaí aistriúcháin, the Carlsberg ad where Irish was portrayed positively, how the recession will have a bad impact on companies providing the aforementioned services / people emigrating from Gaeltacht areas, but it's only a spell and it'll pass

P4: -Gaeltacht under pressure (go bhfuil siad faoi thionchar ar bhéarla).
    -Wasn't today or yesterday that ppl startin predicting the death of Irish - ní inniú ná inné a thosaigh daoine ag tuar bhás na gaeilge
    -as the decline of irish in the 17th century where poets lamented their downgrading - sa seachtú haois déag bhi meath na gaeilge mar abhar bróin ag go leor de na filí agus iad ag caoineadh céim síos na bhfilí sa tír seo
    -Irish is one of the oldest written languages that's still spoken today - tá an Ghailege ar cheann de na teangacha scríofa is sine san eoraip ata fós á labhairt.
    -increase in the amount of gaelscoileanna as parents want their kids raised with Irish (tá fás [growth] le feiceáil ar líon na nGaeilscoileanna ar fud na tíre gur mhian le tuismitheoirí a gcuid paistí a thógáil le Gaeilge

Conclusion: summary of your points, hopeful things like 'caithfear ár dteanga naisiunta a labhairt de shíor chun chultúr na tíre a chaomhnú', 'ceapaim ni chuirfidh an culu no haon rud eile stop leis an dúil sa Ghaeilge'..

sorry about the state of all that. you'd be able to add a paragraph on tg4 i'm sure. haven't read it all but there's probably a few things of use here http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/21/42671.html?1239539936

Mr.S wrote: »
    Care to share that site for longley :pac:

If you care to share a site for walcott?! :pac:

ya its http://www.teachnet.ie/ckelly/
    pretty good for critical commentary and linking the poems. If i can find the others i used ill post them up :)

Monzo wrote: »
    Don't really have time to post up the full essay but here's the structure and a few quotes of my class essay on it (got an A1; jackanackanory!).

I love you. Like seriously, thank you! :)

I love you. Like seriously, thank you! :)

+1
    i love you too :)
    c'mon A1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

no problemo, fast typing ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

monzo is officially a ledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    The papers are 'fairly' predictable.

They always include one female writer + Bishop and Rich are the only females on our course + Rich came up last year = Bishop should come up this year.

BUT Bishop has come up two years in a row before, so what's to stop them doing the same for Adrienne Rich?

(I'm hoping they don't though,btw...:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

aine-maire wrote: »
    BUT Bishop has come up two years in a row before, so what's to stop them doing the same for Adrienne Rich?

(I'm hoping they don't though,btw...:P)
    Rich is on the course again for next year (2010) so i dont think theyll put her on 2 years in a row because then no1 would bother studying her next year

Advertisement