Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth

Options
  • 31-05-2009 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

What is ment by Kingship? if the q comes up what do i write about?

Comments

The four kings throughout the story, and what each one represents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Pat2107 wrote: »

Good kings, bad kngs, use and abuse of power. The whole play is about Kingship!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Elvis and Burger King.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The four kings throughout the story, and what each one represents.

Five Kings infact ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

Who are the 5 kings? Just for confirmation. ^_^

Also can someone please explain the "Divine Right of Kings" or whatever that is called. I know it means that they are chosen by God or something like that.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Pala! wrote: »
    Who are the 5 kings? Just for confirmation. ^_^

Also can someone please explain the "Divine Right of Kings" or whatever that is called. I know it means that they are chosen by God or something like that.

Thanks.

Duncan,Macbeth,Malcolm,Edward and Sveno.

They are Gods representative on earth when Macbeth obtains the crown he is not God's chosen subject and so Scotland is engulfed by night. Only when Malcolm defeats Macbeth and obtains the crown does light finely conquer darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well you have Macbeth, Duncan, King Edward, Macduff but I'm not sure on the fifth.

Edit: D'oh, beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Macduff isnt a king is he?!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Stev_o wrote: »
    Duncan,Macbeth,Malcolm,Edward and Sveno.

I'm very worried I have to ask this but um...who's Sveno??

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

im betting kingship isnt going to come up.....i will burst into tears on thursday if it does!!!!!!!!:p

• Advertisement

sveno is the norwegian king who the thane of cawdor and macdownwald helped against duncan at the start and no macduff isnt a king

phic wrote: »
    I'm very worried I have to ask this but um...who's Sveno??

He's the King that's invading Scotland at the very beginning. Macbeth and Banquo are fighting against his forces. But you'd only need to mention him like once in an essay on Kingship because he's not in it after that.

I dunno why people are talkin bout kingship so much though. Is it a set theme on the course or something?

He's the King that's invading Scotland at the very beginning. Macbeth and Banquo are fighting against his forces. But you'd only need to mention him like once in an essay on Kingship because he's not in it after that.

Ah right! Thanks! I didn't realise he was named...theres not much to say about him past that he tried to invade Scotland though is there? btw Kingship came up as a question before so I suppose thats why people are talking about it coming up again!

look at the marking scheme for the 2007 macb question, power its use and abuse its pretty much a kingship question in disguise, i really do not think it will be on the paper.. well i am hoping not

leesmom wrote: »
    look at the marking scheme for the 2007 macb question, power its use and abuse its pretty much a kingship question in disguise, i really do not think it will be on the paper.. well i am hoping not

Considering Cian hardly discussed it all this year id agree hope it doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Sveno...who the fudge is that?! Suuurely we don't have to talk about him...

Sveno...who the fudge is that?! Suuurely we don't have to talk about him...

You don;t have to but im clearly looking for easy brown nosed marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Stev_o wrote: »
    You don;t have to but im clearly looking for easy brown nosed marks.
    GTFO!

Duncan - Good but flawed
    Macbeth - Evil Tyrant
    Malcolm - Good and learnt from mistakes of his father
    Edward - God like King

I dunno if I'll do this question, a lot of new quotes to learn. But it is likely hmmm

I just wish it was this Sveno :(

sveno.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Its not that likely as a question is it? As someone said already, power came up the last time. Wouldn't evil/the supernatural/appearance vs. reality be more likely as the theme question?

The thing I hate about Macbeth, and the reason it's gonna screw up my English grade, is that you can't really predict whats gonna come up! I've tried and I really dont think there's a pattern!! you just have to know the play, it's characters and its themes very well! not that I do, but you know, you should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Kingship came up explicitly in 95 I think aswell, I don't see why they would bring it up 3ish times in 12 years when there are so many other themes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Freaking out now! :( Taking down the kingship essay someone linked to, hopefully some of it will sink in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

I think i'll just become a bum, as i have done absolutely nothing until 2 days ago,

This calls for crazy serial killer guy
    loldgtp.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

So, how's everyone studying for Macbeth?
    I'm just learning of about 15 quotes and reading over exam topic essays in my keynotes book.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

what questions are people covering for macbeth?? only starting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Freaking out now! :( Taking down the kingship essay someone linked to, hopefully some of it will sink in......

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

what we were taught about kingship is you describe everyone that is linked to kingship if you know what i mean.macbeth,duncan,malcolm,banquo,fleance,donalbain,edward and i'm sure there is one or 2 more

• Advertisement
Advertisement